Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
The difference in quality between Fox's worst combination (Dwayne, Eddie, Brown and Healy) to Channel 7's best (Brayshaw, Darcy?, Hodge and Watson) is huge. Let alone Fox's best and Seven's worst.
I reckon for 7 it is McLaughlin, Bennett, Hodge and Richardson (when he isnt trying to 'bloke it up' with BT and Darcy he can actually be quite insightful).

Bennett is criminally underutilised and i reckon is 7's best caller.

I reckon for 7 it is McLaughlin, Bennett, Hodge and Richardson (when he isnt trying to 'bloke it up' with BT and Darcy he can actually be quite insightful).

Agreed on Bennett, how he doesn’t call more games is an absolute mystery to me.

I forgot about Bennett, yeah he's really good. And Brayshaw is better than Hamish IMO. I'd still take Jobe over Richo.

Bennett makes it relatively close with the Fox 4 I mentioned, but still, that's still a big difference

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I forgot about Bennett, yeah he's really good. And Brayshaw is better than Hamish IMO. I'd still take Jobe over Richo.

Bennett makes it relatively close with the Fox 4 I mentioned, but still, that's still a big difference
I think McLachlan gets a bad wrap because people love to hate his brother, but he is one of the most professional sports callers in sports. Little fan fare or signature phrases, just calls what is in front of him and can read and reflect the atmosphere of the crowd in his call.

What i hate is when play by play guys try to become the show. Guys like BT, Dwayne and to a lesser extent Brayshaw, Eddie and Darcy try to become a side act.
Save me the histrionics and just call the game as it happens whilst reflecting the mood of the crowd. Leave the insight/entertainment to the colour commentators as that is what they are paid to do.

The exception is when a team has sufficient chemistry and experience where they bounce off each other and has developed a rhythm, e.g the halcyon triple m days of BT, Brayshaw, Lyon, Spud.

All the big name channel 7 guys seem to doing their own thing and it is painful to listen to

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Most of my experiences with them have been on BF where they've been relatively decent, but fair enough.
Mates (whose word i take as gospel) told me they couldn't get over the number of fans at Subi who spent the game facing the stands, "it's not about you, dickhead." Like you see in soccer. It's why they boo so much. "I booed Jobe Watson" yeah, he doesn't know who you are.

Always remember the send off the club gave sheeds, thought that was nicely done.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
And I know they're not the most popular team on this board but as far as a whole, West Coast play my favourite brand of football. A system based on working hard both ways, hitting the lead up mark, with good talls at either end.

Would love us to implement their style of game.
Brander is building nicely too.

Agreed on Bennett, how he doesn’t call more games is an absolute mystery to me.
I’ve heard rumours some of the other commentators don’t like him and think he shows them up

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Almost exclusively listen to radio coverage regardless of who's doing the tv coverage, so easy these days to pause kayo for a few seconds to match it up, & the SEN & MMM calls are by far much more enjoyable.

Anyway, was sitting here wondering why the hell the Carlton Freo pre game hadn't started yet & just worked out my pc clock hadn't updated for daylight savings :oops:...

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Fox should offer him a contract then.
Fox's play by play sheet is pretty full.

They have Dwayne, Eddie, Howard, Brenton Speed and Adam Papalia on any given week.

Plus Bennett is a jack of all trades for 7 andd oes VFL coverage as well as their coverage of the spring racing carnival.

Also think we can safely say offering some captaincy and a million dollars a year is a bad idea.

I know you can't help injuries but Congilio as captain could set GWS back

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
That would hold water if Victorian clubs werent given their own academies in far more fertile Aussie rules areas.

We have had an NGA academy zone in the Tiwi, west arnhem land and in the freaking calder cannon zone since 2015. How many first rounders have we gotten out of arguably the most fertile footballing zone per capita in the country? (The Tiwi)

If we put half the amount of energy and resources into the Tiwi that sydney does into their zone we would have way more players coming out of our NGA then sydney do at the top end.

But every club in the league with an NGA zone essentially neglected to do anything with it, didnt put resources into developing rural areas (for us the Tiwi/WAL) and sat back waited to cherry pick guys who would have been drafted anyway (JUH, McInnes, Quaynor, Thomas, etc) and so the league took that privilege away.

Goulden and Campbell joined the Swans academy at 11, Heeney at 12, Mills at 14 and Blakey had been living in sydney since 2007.
They wouldnt have been AFL footballers without the academy, happy for the Swans to have them. We should have done the same with our NGA but couldnt be effed with the effort.

The only thing I disagree with is the fertility point.

The football heartland academies are not really expanding the talent pool. They're just carve outs of a pretty exhausted system.

In Sydney/Brisbane there is pick of all of the sporting talent produced by a population of millions. Aussie Rules can be learned and there are stacks of skills which are shared by Aussie Rules and rugby/league.

Numbers 6, 7 and 9-13, using rugby position (can't remember if they're the same in league) all have lots of skills that are very transferrable with Aussie rules midfield play in particular. That's 7 positions. You'd think across both codes therevwould be 3-4 team's worth of players with the ability to be pros produced each year. Of course they won't all make it for various reasons but the Northern clubs really just need to get 1 of these 21 to 28 as a kid for a blank canvass who basically already has most of the ball handling and athletic skills but who has high level athletic and sporting ability (you don't get access to the latter to the anywhere near the same degree in the AFL states).

It's produced 2 guns since 2014. There is then the cat B type player who is just raw athletic ability and usually tall that doesn't really seem to be a factor for Sydney's academy but which has been a huge hit for Brisbane.

That would hold water if Victorian clubs werent given their own academies in far more fertile Aussie rules areas.

We have had an NGA academy zone in the Tiwi, west arnhem land and in the freaking calder cannon zone since 2015. How many first rounders have we gotten out of arguably the most fertile footballing zone per capita in the country? (The Tiwi)

If we put half the amount of energy and resources into the Tiwi that sydney does into their zone we would have way more players coming out of our NGA then sydney do at the top end.

But every club in the league with an NGA zone essentially neglected to do anything with it, didnt put resources into developing rural areas (for us the Tiwi/WAL) and sat back waited to cherry pick guys who would have been drafted anyway (JUH, McInnes, Quaynor, Thomas, etc) and so the league took that privilege away.

Goulden and Campbell joined the Swans academy at 11, Heeney at 12, Mills at 14 and Blakey had been living in sydney since 2007.
They wouldnt have been AFL footballers without the academy, happy for the Swans to have them. We should have done the same with our NGA but couldnt be effed with the effort.
We couldn't have picked Goulden, Campbell, Heeney, Mills or Blakey if they'd been in our academy. (I think happy to be corrected) Plus we can exclude Blakey from the "wouldn't have been an AFL footballer" without it talk.

Also any 11 or 12 year old that joined our academy in 2015 and has been developed into a gun we have no rights too.

The Northern academies s**t all over the NGA from a great height. I'm not against it, the bigger the talent pool the better. But let's not pretend it doesn't give the Swans etc a giant leg up in rebuilding.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Also good to see my man Harry McKay getting it together.

14 shots on goal yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back