Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also good to see my man Harry McKay getting it together.

14 shots on goal yesterday.

Should have kicked 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing I disagree with is the fertility point.

The football heartland academies are not really expanding the talent pool. They're just carve outs of a pretty exhausted system.

In Sydney/Brisbane there is pick of all of the sporting talent produced by a population of millions. Aussie Rules can be learned and there are stacks of skills which are shared by Aussie Rules and rugby/league.

Numbers 6, 7 and 9-13, using rugby position (can't remember if they're the same in league) all have lots of skills that are very transferrable with Aussie rules midfield play in particular. That's 7 positions. You'd think across both codes therevwould be 3-4 team's worth of players with the ability to be pros produced each year. Of course they won't all make it for various reasons but the Northern clubs really just need to get 1 of these 21 to 28 as a kid for a blank canvass who basically already has most of the ball handling and athletic skills but who has high level athletic and sporting ability (you don't get access to the latter to the anywhere near the same degree in the AFL states).

It's produced 2 guns since 2014. There is then the cat B type player who is just raw athletic ability and usually tall that doesn't really seem to be a factor for Sydney's academy but which has been a huge hit for Brisbane.
That's the idea.

Jiath is a gun.

The ongoing melt down from Richmond fans over the stand rule is glorious.

Serves them right, if they didn’t ruin the sport then we wouldn’t be here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither Geelong or Hawthorn will make finals this year. Well Geelong might scrape in on the back of their ridiculous home ground advantage but they'll be straight out.

Neither Geelong or Hawthorn will make finals this year. Well Geelong might scrape in on the back of their ridiculous home ground advantage but they'll be straight out.
Why's it ridiculous?

75km from the centre of Melbourne to Geelong hardly warrants a unique home ground advantage IMO.

75km from the centre of Melbourne to Geelong hardly warrants a unique home ground advantage IMO.
Expecting Geelong to not play in Geelong is incredibly unreasonable.

Expecting Geelong to not play in Geelong is incredibly unreasonable.

None of the other teams play in their named suburbs.

I forgot Geelong was a Melbourne suburb.

It's close enough. Anyway regardless you can't deny that it's a distinct advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back