Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
It's close enough. Anyway regardless you can't deny that it's a distinct advantage.
Primarily because they get a home crowd whipping up a frenzy.
And the dimensions are weird. They should fix that but it does hurt them when they play the G. So they can keep it :)

It's close enough. Anyway regardless you can't deny that it's a distinct advantage.
No-one denies that. But that's what they get for being a non-Melbourne club.

Do you think Gold Coast should play games in Brisbane and GWS at the SCG?

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon
Is their home ground advantage really that good. Yes, I know they won 30 something straight at one stage but it always seems that they play the minnows down there. As it's a boutique stadium, they never really seemed to play the larger membership based clubs. I remember a lot of freo, melb, GC, GWS (in their building phase).

With the recent upgrade bringing the better (membership and quality or both) down the highway as now they probably make equal money playing bombers at 40K vs Bombers at 50K docklands or slightly higher at MCG.

I'd hope if we were as good a team as Cats and could pick all our docklands games against bottom 8 teams or interstate that we'd win a majority of them too.

I presume the same happened when teams were complaining about our run of wins when Colonial stadium first opened, winning 20 out of 22. Then our team fell off a cliff and so did our record.

If the cats were a bottom 6 team I doubt their w/l would be as enviable. Like in 1998/1999 when they went 7w/11L at Kardinia Park. Swings and roundabouts home ground advantages are.

None of the other teams play in their named suburbs.
No other side was smart enough to develop a ground. Melbourne play at their own ground and Richmond are only 200 meters short of it and have used the MCG as home for over 50 years.
Geelong lose to good sides in Geelong. The ground is not a huge advantage. The record looks better because they play interstate sides their or the poor Melbourne sides. Their record would be no different if they played all the games at the MCG.

House big, not that big.
The room would have been there but it would have taken up the whole precinct and there is no way anyone would have had the coin to do it.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
No other side was smart enough to develop a ground. Melbourne play at their own ground and Richmond are only 200 meters short of it and have used the MCG as home for over 50 years.
Geelong lose to good sides in Geelong. The ground is not a huge advantage. The record looks better because they play interstate sides their or the poor Melbourne sides. Their record would be no different if they played all the games at the MCG.
Carlton developed theirs, got screwed by politics?

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
The room would have been there but it would have taken up the whole precinct and there is no way anyone would have had the coin to do it.
Ant ! I was being stupidly ironic !

Just on topic, I don’t think the club was too perturbed by moving out of the area. If they had wanted to stay there they would’ve. Throw the hat around amongst the coteries ? Definitely those boys are absolutely loaded, seriously loaded. What’s that ? The bowls club are digging their heels in !? That’s laughable, ohh we better move out then. Better grab those government millions while we can, which they did.
Im still dirty on them that we could never give the old girl the send off she deserved. ******* disgraceful as they did it during the summer. “ ohh by the way,we’re off to the G. Was it put to the vote ? Yes it was,but it was so far promoted that it was always going through. Ok, no problem, you got what you wanted,but just give us one more home game.
nek minnit, we’re off to Colonial!!
Windyhill was shafted,one more home game, I knew 80-100 nutcase Bombers within a 20 metre radius, every second week, u19’s,ressies, seniors,throwing coins at the cheer squad as they walked around at halftime. Etc etc etc.
And now the club is reaching out to Windyhill again,trying to reconnect, We’re playing reserves games and want a home ground for our ladies .
Cheeky Essendon.

Ant ! I was being stupidly ironic !

Just on topic, I don’t think the club was too perturbed by moving out of the area. If they had wanted to stay there they would’ve. Throw the hat around amongst the coteries ? Definitely those boys are absolutely loaded, seriously loaded. What’s that ? The bowls club are digging their heels in !? That’s laughable, ohh we better move out then. Better grab those government millions while we can, which they did.
Im still dirty on them that we could never give the old girl the send off she deserved. ******* disgraceful as they did it during the summer. “ ohh by the way,we’re off to the G. Was it put to the vote ? Yes it was,but it was so far promoted that it was always going through. Ok, no problem, you got what you wanted,but just give us one more home game.
nek minnit, we’re off to Colonial!!
Windyhill was shafted,one more home game, I knew 80-100 nutcase Bombers within a 20 metre radius, every second week, u19’s,ressies, seniors,throwing coins at the cheer squad as they walked around at halftime. Etc etc etc.
And now the club is reaching out to Windyhill again,trying to reconnect, We’re playing reserves games and want a home ground for our ladies .
Cheeky Essendon.
I have the faintest memory of going to my one and only game at WH, against North late in '91. I would have been three at the time, the old man took me. I don't remember anything about the football (we won by plenty, lol North - Madden kicked 6) but I do remember the constant aroma of darts.

As it turns out, that was the third last game there. Last one was an unremarkable late season smashing of the Bears a few weeks later.

It's a decent place to watch VFL these days.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
The demise of the suburban grounds was pushed by the AFL and the MCG Trust (nothing better connected politically and financially).

The AFL happy to tip money into The G and Docklands, but wouldn't give anything to grounds within 30km of those.

I think the competition might be better for it, but not necessarily the clubs (but maybe we're reaping the benefits indirectly as fans and as clubs).

Geelong's redevelopment is a lot to do with there being a lot of swing seats both state and federally in the area.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
The demise of the suburban grounds was pushed by the AFL and the MCG Trust (nothing better connected politically and financially).

The AFL happy to tip money into The G and Docklands, but wouldn't give anything to grounds within 30km of those.

I think the competition might be better for it, but not necessarily the clubs (but maybe we're reaping the benefits indirectly as fans and as clubs).

Geelong's redevelopment is a lot to do with there being a lot of swing seats both state and federally in the area.
So, is Tulla in a marginal seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back