Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just watched the Pies v Suns game. Personally I thought the first half was pretty low quality with poor skills.
Secondly are you saying that we could not have beaten the Swans at Marvel if they had no Buddy and Rampy ?
Finally the Suns should be in front of us. They are two years into another rebuild and have had a sh*t load more draft concessions than we have had.
Well I just watched the Pies v Suns game - so snap! I'm not speculating coulda, shoulda, woulda. Just comparing results of the respective GCS and Ess games v Pies and Swans in the same time frame and think that GCS are in better form and mindset than we are right now. From your comments, it seems that you agree ("Finally the Suns should be in front of us. They are two years into another rebuild and have had a sh*t load more draft concessions than we have had.")

Maybe it is that I agree on Buckley. Lets face it if the umpires pay the correct free kick the he is most likely a premiership coach. They built up for a crack at a flag and fell just short through poor luck. They also had some serious injuries that year.
He is actually playing a lot of young blokes and they are playing like a side that is.
Collingwood are getting as much coverage as we where at the end of last season. The fact that there poor efforts in the trade period put more heat on them has had a massive effect.
It is talk back radio in Melbourne. The big Melbourne sides are going to take most of the narrative.
Agree with this.

Well I just watched the Pies v Suns game - so snap! I'm not speculating coulda, shoulda, woulda. Just comparing results of the respective GCS and Ess games v Pies and Swans in the same time frame and think that GCS are in better form and mindset than we are right now. From your comments, it seems that you agree ("Finally the Suns should be in front of us. They are two years into another rebuild and have had a sh*t load more draft concessions than we have had.")
I was just questioning the perspective angle. Not like many think we are in front of where we are. Just happy the young blokes are playing well. No perspective needed.
Secondly GC beat the Swans at home. We had to play them at the SCG with Buddy.

Last edited:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
GCS putting our performances v Pies and Swans into perspective.
We played better vs Collingwood than Gold Coast did today. We both won by 24 points, but we had significantly more scoring shots. Collingwood were very inaccurate and inefficient today compared to last week.

We also dominated the territory battle. Not sure I understand the perspective.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Hawks copping a pounding but Jeka launches at a few and looks quite good. He and Kosi look dynamic and athletic. Lewis throwing his weight around on ball.

Could be a worse set of talls to spend the next 15 weeks watching.

We played better vs Collingwood than Gold Coast did today. We both won by 24 points, but we had significantly more scoring shots. Collingwood were very inaccurate and inefficient today compared to last week.

We also dominated the territory battle. Not sure I understand the perspective.

See above comments re Ant. Perspective is that GCS are winning games, ugly or not, with a confidence in their game plan that is impressive.

I was just questioning the perspective angle. Not like many think we are in front of where we are. Just happy the young blokes are playing well. No perspective needed.
Secondly GC beat the Swans at home. We had to play them at the SCG with Buddy.
The perspective is that they won games v Swans and Pies, ugly or not, with a determination and willingness to play for 4 quarters. They way they ran out the Pies game was impressive. I'm not comparing talent, skill or home ground advantage. Just the willingness of the respective teams to play to their game plans for 4 quarters.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
See above comments re Ant. Perspective is that GCS are winning games, ugly or not, with a confidence in their game plan that is impressive.
The perspective is that they won games v Swans and Pies, ugly or not, with a determination and willingness to play for 4 quarters. They way they ran out the Pies game was impressive. I'm not comparing talent, skill or home ground advantage. Just the willingness of the respective teams to play to their game plans for 4 quarters.
So are we and we've done it with a younger side. We win tomorrow and we have equal wins and a similar percentage. I don't think their form is better than ours. It's the same.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
And de goey could be available cheap AF as a salary dump. Worth pick 30 right now.
Most overrated ’superstar’ I’ve seen. What has he actually done to earn so much praise other than glimpses of his talent here and there?

Doc Wheildon played a dozen games better than this pretender.

So are we and we've done it with a younger side. We win tomorrow and we have equal wins and a similar percentage. I don't think their form is better than ours. It's the same.
"what do you mean by "so are we" - willingness to play or 4 quarters? Obviously, I hope that we do play for 4 quarters and that we win tomorrow.But I don't subscribe to the Buddy in or out, home ground advantage, younger group, arguments for why we looked more stylish winning (or in the case of the Swans, losing). Think that GCS are right now ahead of us in terms of mind set and confidence. It's a long season and things could change for both teams.

We did not play 4 quarters against the Swans or Pies ? or the Saints. Sure we got smashed against Brisbane and Port but GC got belted against the Dogs and lost at home to the Blues.
Anyway one would only need perspective about our performances if they thought we where going to push out of the bottom 6. Most thought the Suns would be in the next group of sides above us.
In reality we had fought out 4 games and been blown away in two.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Most overrated ’superstar’ I’ve seen. What has he actually done to earn so much praise other than glimpses of his talent here and there?

Doc Wheildon played a dozen games better than this pretender.
He looked like was was going to explode in 2018. Gone backwards since. I think he’ll be a ‘coodabeen champion’

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
"what do you mean by "so are we" - willingness to play or 4 quarters? Obviously, I hope that we do play for 4 quarters and that we win tomorrow.But I don't subscribe to the Buddy in or out, home ground advantage, younger group, arguments for why we looked more stylish winning (or in the case of the Swans, losing). Think that GCS are right now ahead of us in terms of mind set and confidence. It's a long season and things could change for both teams.
That was in response to this comment
"Perspective is that GCS are winning games, ugly or not, with a confidence in their game plan that is impressive."

I believe we're doing that too.

We did not play 4 quarters against the Swans or Pies ? or the Saints. Sure we got smashed against Brisbane and Port but GC got belted against the Dogs and lost at home to the Blues.
Anyway one would only need perspective about our performances if they thought we where going to push out of the bottom 6. Most thought the Suns would be in the next group of sides above us.
In reality we had fought out 4 games and been blown away in two.
We lost one of those games and lost the lead in the last quarter in the other - but regrouped magnificantly to win. GCS never looked like losing either game.

Extremely satisfying seeing Hawks so far behind. Saints unlikely to let foot off pedal, as Essendon and Adelaide did
We didn’t take the foot off the pedal, we just left the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back