Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon

AFL news: Hawthorn’s Finn Maginness tests positive for Covid-19
Stars from Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon have been caught up in the positive Covid test at Hawthorn, while close contacts are in isolation.

Hawthorn has notified up to six AFL clubs of Finn Maginness’ Covid diagnosis after the Hawks’ young gun trained with players from across the league last Friday.
Maginness took part in a cross-team scrimmage session last week with the likes of Collingwood duo Taylor Adams and Brayden Maynard, Essendon star Andrew McGrath, Carlton forward Harry McKay and his twin brother Ben.

A Hawthorn spokesperson said none of the players from the other clubs would need to isolate and get tested under government rules, as the session was more than 48 hours before Maginness’s symptoms emerged.

All of his close contacts at the Hawks have returned negative Covid tests, but will still be forced to isolate for the next week.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

AFL news: Hawthorn’s Finn Maginness tests positive for Covid-19
Stars from Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon have been caught up in the positive Covid test at Hawthorn, while close contacts are in isolation.

Hawthorn has notified up to six AFL clubs of Finn Maginness’ Covid diagnosis after the Hawks’ young gun trained with players from across the league last Friday.
Maginness took part in a cross-team scrimmage session last week with the likes of Collingwood duo Taylor Adams and Brayden Maynard, Essendon star Andrew McGrath, Carlton forward Harry McKay and his twin brother Ben.

A Hawthorn spokesperson said none of the players from the other clubs would need to isolate and get tested under government rules, as the session was more than 48 hours before Maginness’s symptoms emerged.

All of his close contacts at the Hawks have returned negative Covid tests, but will still be forced to isolate for the next week.

There's a training group McGrath & Ridley are part of, I assume it's that one. Was discussed somewhere on this board a week or two ago.

There's a training group McGrath & Ridley are part of, I assume it's that one. Was discussed somewhere on this board a week or two ago.

Yeah apparently there was some media buzz about it how it shows rivalry is dead in the sport as players are too friendly to opposition.

I'd say it's a growing sign of the professionalism of players these days and hopefully results in a better product on field to watch.
At least better than "hurr Carlton player bad, push shove" faux toughness "rivalry" s**t some people seem to love.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah apparently there was some media buzz about it how it shows rivalry is dead in the sport as players are too friendly to opposition.

I'd say it's a growing sign of the professionalism of players these days and hopefully results in a better product on field to watch.
At least better than "hurr Carlton player bad, push shove" faux toughness "rivalry" sh*t some people seem to love.

They forget a lot of these guys have played on U18 sides together at various times as well.

So long as they're competitive as is needed on-field, who cares whether they're friends before and after the game.

They forget a lot of these guys have played on U18 sides together at various times as well.

So long as they're competitive as is needed on-field, who cares whether they're friends before and after the game.

Watching the NFL guys is the model I like. They train in their groups on their off seasons, constantly trying to recruit each other etc. No one would accuse them of being too friendly during games.

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea

Dermott brereton for one.

I can’t stand the meathead ex-players that crucify players for having a laugh with the opposition after a loss.

At least better than "hurr Carlton player bad, push shove" faux toughness "rivalry" sh*t some people seem to love.
does Kane Cornes count as media buzz?

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
There has to be a decent argument here that training with/against players from other teams will get the competitive juices flowing and being more effective than training with your mates at your own club. These guys are professionals and if they think this helps them and gives them an edge, then go and do it. Lot of NBA players do that sort of thing in the off season too. Real way to test yourself.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Would have been easy to miss this, didn't even realise he was at the Saints let alone working on such a program.

St Kilda launch pilot phase of Point and Be Proud (saints.com.au)

St Kilda’s Indigenous Liaison Officer and former AFL player Nathan Lovett-Murray was instrumental in the establishment of the program and said it was important to educate younger generations on the impacts of racism.

Kane has a lot of views but you have to look at them for what they are and that is based on his experience and how he liked things done.
He gets a lot of stick from the click bait but a lot of the time it is only snippets of what he says and often he says it is only his view and he is wrong a lot of the time. He is actually quite good at putting nuffies in their box at time.
I know I am minority but I do not mind listening to him on a Friday. There is always some rubbish but he owns his mistakes .

In a twist everyone saw coming, Liam Jones is retiring

The interesting thing is "work closely with the AFL regarding options available to replace Jones' spot on the list for the 2022 season". They missed the cut-off for primary list delistings last Wednesday, so under the rules they'd only be able to replace him with a rookie (via SSP or mid-season draft) as an inactive list retiree... unless the AFL allow Carlton to delist him a couple of days late.

Lore it's odd isn't it? Is there much difference between a super late draft pick and a rookie pick? Can't imagine why they'd need to be in contact.
As far as drafting a player there isn't much difference, aside from contract length, pay rates for the draftee, and list gymnastics (which is negligible).

The other option is to not draft someone with the pick but use it for bid matching (or live trading) but I don't recall them having anyone they need to match a bid on, or whether their next available pick is actually worth any points for trading – the latter depends on how many spots they already have open, I cbf trying to count them.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

The interesting thing is "work closely with the AFL regarding options available to replace Jones' spot on the list for the 2022 season". They missed the cut-off for primary list delistings last Wednesday, so under the rules they'd only be able to replace him with a rookie (via SSP or mid-season draft) as an inactive list retiree... unless the AFL allow Carlton to delist him a couple of days late.

If his stance against the vaccine is the reason for his retirement, then I don't get it at all.

A vaccine is literally just something to train your immune system to fight a pathogen. Vaccines have been politicised for no reason.

If his stance against the vaccine is the reason for his retirement, then I don't get it at all.

A vaccine is literally just something to train your immune system to fight a pathogen. Vaccines have been politicised for no reason.
Let's not go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back