Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh look. Another team that recognises how important contested football and having a strong midfield group is.

The midfield Carlton built is what we've been calling on for years. The Blues are real top 4 contenders because their list managers actually addressed their midfield balance.

If the midfield is strong, then you can get away with having only one or two gun forwards and defenders at either end of the ground. Think Collingwood 2018, Richmond 2017, Bulldogs 2016, 2021 and Carlton 2022 (without McKay) or even Fremantle 2022 depending on how they respond to last week. It seems like we're fixated on building a West Coast 2018 type list which takes a lot longer to build and still doesn't guarantee success or sustained success.

We wasted a decent group of defenders and forwards post saga because of our stubborn list managers not addressing our midfield balance.

Yep, to be clear I meant familiar in that it’s our achillies heel as well.

Hardly a new thing because it has been like this for a while but **** me have they accumulated some talent.
Yes, they've had a long time to accumulate that talent. Been down the bottom of the table for a long time now. Wasn't the last time they made finals the year we got kicked out? It's been a long slow rebuild but it does look like they've finally putting it all together. Do agree with you and others about the "no plan B" and the similarities with us.

I reckon Blues get top 4, they’ll be 10-2 after two more rounds. Outside Dees and Lions there’s not many teams that are that much better than them. Curnow’s return, McKay’s better, Hewett and Cerra very good additions
History shows that teams that go hard and fast in the first half of a season tend to fade in the second half as injuries and fatigue affect the players and the game plan.

Wonder how Tom Barrass is feeling now. Inked a 5 year extension at the end of last year, otherwise he would have been available at the end of this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do not often see someone's shorts pulled down to the point they are naked on TV. Lol Darcy Moore.

Hawkes currently have no fit rucks on their list with Lynch's concussion. Probably have to run with Nash and Kosi as the pairing this week against Witts, who should have a field day

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Oh look. Another team that recognises how important contested football and having a strong midfield group is.

The midfield Carlton built is what we've been calling on for years. The Blues are real top 4 contenders because their list managers actually addressed their midfield balance.

If the midfield is strong, then you can get away with having only one or two gun forwards and defenders at either end of the ground. Think Collingwood 2018, Richmond 2017, Bulldogs 2016, 2021 and Carlton 2022 (without McKay) or even Fremantle 2022 depending on how they respond to last week. It seems like we're fixated on building a West Coast 2018 type list which takes a lot longer to build and still doesn't guarantee success or sustained success.

We wasted a decent group of defenders and forwards post saga because of our stubborn list managers not addressing our midfield balance.
We all know the issues. Hell I have been complaining about midfield depth and drafting genuine midfielders for 10 years.
I was wrong as far as backing Richardson and getting Shiel as that has not worked although I will say it did work in 2019 . Other than that I have been saying for a long while the midfield was out of kilt and we keep drafting flankers to play in it.
Our only hope is the changes that where made at the end of 2020 give us a better focus on list planning even if Dodoro still has one finger in the pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back