Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bipolarbear is from Tassie and has commented on #2 previously; many current AFL members would likely take up membership in a Tassie team that they could go and watch most weekends, they'd still also retain some level of support for their traditional team. The next generation of kids would likely be full fledged Tasmanian side first people. There's already a genuine love for AFL there so unlike QLD and NSW you're not trying to break in to a new territory.

A relocated side from VIC wouldn't garner as much local support as a newly established, genuine Tasmanian side.

I'd guess a newly established Tassie side wouldn't need too long to get to Bulldogs / North Melbourne level membership figures, and would have financial backing from the Tasmanian Government. It would be financially viable far quicker than GWS and Gold Coast IMO.

For #1; Plenty of AFL players would appreciate living in a smaller place, not everyone is a private school kid from Metro Melbourne. Geelong has harnessed that attitude nicely and sold the coastal-country lifestyle as a drawcard.

You're also only ~ 45 mins from Melbourne and would regularly be playing in Melbourne which makes seeing friends or family for Victorian players pretty easy.
Flight time is an hour and a bit + getting through the airports.

Theoretically sounds fine but as someone who did it regularly for a number of years it's a royal pain in the ass.

I don’t think ‘the talent is not out there’ is a great argument.

There are enough players out there that are not able to get a gig that could excel in their preferred role, they just can’t play it because of who else is at their club.

Francis is probably not the best example because there is some between the ears stuff but there is little doubt in my mind that he could excel in a floating defender role, we’ve just never given him that consistent crack. Players are coming into clubs and performing having been onsite for 2 or 3 weeks, talent is there.

I just think it’s too many clubs and too much footy dilutes my interest to be honest, we don’t want MLB where games are on weeknights and no one cares.

Bipolarbear is from Tassie and has commented on #2 previously; many current AFL members would likely take up membership in a Tassie team that they could go and watch most weekends, they'd still also retain some level of support for their traditional team. The next generation of kids would likely be full fledged Tasmanian side first people. There's already a genuine love for AFL there so unlike QLD and NSW you're not trying to break in to a new territory.

A relocated side from VIC wouldn't garner as much local support as a newly established, genuine Tasmanian side.

I'd guess a newly established Tassie side wouldn't need too long to get to Bulldogs / North Melbourne level membership figures, and would have financial backing from the Tasmanian Government. It would be financially viable far quicker than GWS and Gold Coast IMO.

For #1; Plenty of AFL players would appreciate living in a smaller place, not everyone is a private school kid from Metro Melbourne. Geelong has harnessed that attitude nicely and sold the coastal-country lifestyle as a drawcard.

You're also only ~ 45 mins from Melbourne and would regularly be playing in Melbourne which makes seeing friends or family for Victorian players pretty easy.
Your missing the fact that they recruit falcons boys back to geelong that are country boys at heart and in their family stage of life. Plus they are coming back to a team that is playing finals and making top 4 pretty much every year. It’s a pretty easy sell from the club. Bit different from getting fresh 18yos to see it out in Tasmania, and there aren’t enough Tasmania’s in the competition to have a targetted draft strategy.

Your missing the fact that they recruit falcons boys back to geelong that are country boys at heart and in their family stage of life. Plus they are coming back to a team that is playing finals and making top 4 pretty much every year. It’s a pretty easy sell from the club. Bit different from getting fresh 18yos to see it out in Tasmania, and there aren’t enough Tasmania’s in the competition to have a targetted draft strategy.
Why can't Tassie recruit Tassie boys back?

Geelong have about a dozen players on their list that played at the Falcons. I'm sure Tassie can do the same.

Why can't Tassie recruit Tassie boys back?

Geelong have about a dozen players on their list that played at the Falcons. I'm sure Tassie can do the same.
They could but are there enough that would want to come back to tassie after living in Melbourne/ other states. Would tarryn Thomas want to go and live Hobart, judging by his Instagram, no. Yeh I’d say it’s likely they get the whole of Tasmania zoned if they get a team, then it’s up to them to pump money and resources into it to get more talent out of the state than there is currently.

Being originally from Tas, I've always kept an eye on the possibility of a team - but, once GC and GWS came in I gave up. I'm actually against it now, I think the time has passed. Two teams in Qld, before a Tas team, to me, is ridiculous but that's where we are. Same with Sydney, but to a lesser extent.

They could but are there enough that would want to come back to tassie after living in Melbourne/ other states. Would tarryn Thomas want to go and live Hobart, judging by his Instagram, no. Yeh I’d say it’s likely they get the whole of Tasmania zoned if they get a team, then it’s up to them to pump money and resources into it to get more talent out of the state than there is currently.
Judging by his instagram?

Well I can't compete with logic this sound. You're right, no Tassie player will want to go home. It's a barren wasteland compared to the rest of the country.

JDG citing mental health issues (ADHD)...

I also have lots of mental health issues that require careful medication, this is the routine I need to go through frequently to deal with them:

RW8g.gif

old-school-will-ferrell.gif
frank-the.gif

200.gif
leonardo-di-caprio-party.gif

old-school-streaking.gif

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JDG citing mental health issues (ADHD)...

I also have lots of mental health issues that require careful medication, this is the routine I need to go through frequently to deal with them:

RW8g.gif

old-school-will-ferrell.gif
frank-the.gif

200.gif
leonardo-di-caprio-party.gif

old-school-streaking.gif

giphy.gif
ADHD could well explain a lot of things.

I don’t think ‘the talent is not out there’ is a great argument.

There are enough players out there that are not able to get a gig that could excel in their preferred role, they just can’t play it because of who else is at their club.

Francis is probably not the best example because there is some between the ears stuff but there is little doubt in my mind that he could excel in a floating defender role, we’ve just never given him that consistent crack. Players are coming into clubs and performing having been onsite for 2 or 3 weeks, talent is there.

I just think it’s too many clubs and too much footy dilutes my interest to be honest, we don’t want MLB where games are on weeknights and no one cares.

I agree the talent is there.

There needs to be a few changes, though.

Basically more list spots are needed. The clubs need the scope to be able to keep the seasoned pros around for longer.

They're the ones who can play out games.

Take Cutler or a guy like Shaun Atley. Clearly capable AFL players who get squeezed or are going to get squeezed.

I would give the teams an inactive list of their VFL/SANFL/WAFL list but freedom to cycle through it. Say 10 players. I'd then give them first rights to any reserve listed player.

Is Eyre not ready but Hurley fit and firing? Demote Eyre to inactive.

There would need to be rules to protect players and incentivise players hanging around. Players would need to freedom to move.

Mid season draft and trade necessary.

Maybe a way to enable an inactive listed player to be signed to an active list during trade and draft period. The conditions to break could be dependant on time or number of times inactive.

It would be very expensive though. Cap probably needs to increase by $3-4m.

Talent is there. At Essendon alone we've seen guys guven a crack through SSP and mid season drafts that come in and crack on straight away. How much better they'd be with 50 ressies games under their belt in a full time environment from the get go?

I'd support the idea of 2 new clubs. Games in Tassie and NT are eyes on TV sets. 19 rounds H&A in a 20 side comp is 8 games short of what we do now.

i dunno, my in-laws live down there and i go a few times a year - it seems to be a thing!

they wont drink each others beer... at one point mid covid people were rocking up to my inlaws town near launy in pink masks to the gruff tones.. bloody hobart people. Apparently only those in the south had pink, the rest wore blue

remember when the hurricanes were flying, played a home game at launy and people were like, pfft, im not going in protest, not our team. (probably still went i cant recall)

anyway, im sure a real tassie person can shoot me down, Bipolarbear ?
HAHA not even kidding you, while I was reading this, I was drinking a Boag's XXX (a Launceston Beer) I live in Hobart CBD.
Not really a North vs. South thing anymore, think of Hobart as Essendon, and the North as North Melbourne, they hate us and we don't know who they are.
Sadly, down in Hobart there's so much to do now on weekends, so local footy is just dead here. All of the AFL talent is coming up from up North now.
As far as I am concerned, Tasmanians are Tasmanians. I'd happily travel to Launceston or the North-West for a game.
Some of you know I recently had a little fella come into this world, I would love nothing more than to take him to live footy games, like so many of you have done with your kids, or your parents have done with you.

Here's hoping the AFL make the right decision, otherwise they might have to call themselves the Mainland Football League.

Talent is there. At Essendon alone we've seen guys guven a crack through SSP and mid season drafts that come in and crack on straight away. How much better they'd be with 50 ressies games under their belt in a full time environment from the get go?

I'd support the idea of 2 new clubs. Games in Tassie and NT are eyes on TV sets. 19 rounds H&A in a 20 side comp is 8 games short of what we do now.
Is it actually feasible for a team to play every 2nd week in NT due to humidity? I vaguely recall data on sides that played matches there tending to lose the next week and teams then often having byes after playing there. Could a side really be based there and even if they adapt will visiting sides regularly struggle the following week given the sapping conditions. Or isn't it that bad during winter months?

Collingwood fans are adamant they're a rebuilding young list.

They had the following in the team that beat Melbourne:

Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Cox
Howe
Elliot
Adams
Crisp
Hoskin-Elliot
Mihocek

All of them are 29+ next season as is Grundy. Someone needs to explain the concept of a young team to them.

Is it actually feasible for a team to play every 2nd week in NT due to humidity? I vaguely recall data on sides that played matches there tending to lose the next week and teams then often having byes after playing there. Could a side really be based there and even if they adapt will visiting sides regularly struggle the following week given the sapping conditions. Or isn't it that bad during winter months?
It was sapping when I went up there. Cost of business. Teams struggle when they go to WA, and WA sides have to travel all the time. It'd just add another home ground advantage quirk to the comp.

You'd have them play twilight and night games. The league could also look at road trip style fixturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back