Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't really paid attention to the Brownlow for quite a while (don't pat attention to enough games, the acual night goes on for too long), but do agree that it seem odd that the most prestigious award is voted on by those who are both really busy doing something else, and in a pretty crappy spot to actually watch what is going on. And as you say, 4 people now somehow have to agree.
Would the results be much different if each umpire submitted their own votes and so a player could earn up to 12 in 1 game?

I still say the Brownlow should be one award in a night of awards. You could have:
Brownlow - best and fairest voted by umpires
an MVP - player judged to be most valuable to their team, voted by coaches
players player - similar to MVP, voted by players or AFLPA
defensive award - player judged to be best at the defensive aspects, voted by media/committee
forward award - player judged to be best at the forward aspects, voted by media/committee
Coleman
MOTY
GOTY
Name the AA team of 18, and then the 2nd 18 who is just the next highest vote getter for each position - voted by the AA committee

Rather than have a 'count' you do a top 5 for each award with a quick highlights package for each player.
All voting is made available to the public
For any media award you select 2 x media form each State to vote (ideally helps removes any biases)
I think the Brownlow is fine to be a round by round highlights package and vote count. It's the only time anyone really reflects on the year that was so it's a nice capstone to a season. I like that they dress up and stuff but could do without the ad breaks and the whole red carpet kerfuffle.

They do already do MOTY and GOTY in the middle of the Brownlow too. I'd probably add a couple that you typically see at club BnFs, like Most Courageous, Trainer's Pick, and some sort of representing the league's values sorta thing. No idea when they present the Coleman, is it mailed out or something? Not like it's a surprise to anyone who can count but it's still a coveted award. AFLPA have a player voted MVP already, AFLCA also have a coach voted MVP, both are separate organisations that do their own presentations.

And then you have the Rising Star, the 22under22, the AA, and the Hall of Fame. They probably don't all need to be separate occasions. Run them all in the same building on the same night and have the broadcaster crossing live to different rooms when something is actually happening in there. Poor Daicos wouldn't know which room to go in, but the rest of them wouldn't typically be in the running for multiple different types of awards.

And that's before we get to the bloody draft that takes a month to read everything out and has all these extra pauses in case someone wants a trade or the broadcaster wants to play an U18 highlights video and a 3-minute interview with an awkward pimply teenager – it is not that interesting! Let the list managers read the player's registration number out like they're calling keno at the local RSL, and get on with it. At least that was authentic. Have an interval every 5 picks for approved trades to be announced instead of holding the whole thing up. Once you're in the bracket you can't trade it anymore.

Perhaps if they cut all the crap they can get the previous year's Pick 1 to do a valedictory speech and read out the name of the new Pick 1, hand over the responsibility in the process 🤔 Probably be nice if the previous year's first round picks were in the room as well, or each club's first pick in the draft if they don't have a first rounder. Interview them alongside their newbies and ask how they felt their first year was etc. Perhaps they could do a highlights reel of the first year players at AFL level for a bit of inspiration for the next batch.

I haven't really paid attention to the Brownlow for quite a while (don't pat attention to enough games, the acual night goes on for too long), but do agree that it seem odd that the most prestigious award is voted on by those who are both really busy doing something else, and in a pretty crappy spot to actually watch what is going on. And as you say, 4 people now somehow have to agree.
Would the results be much different if each umpire submitted their own votes and so a player could earn up to 12 in 1 game?

I still say the Brownlow should be one award in a night of awards. You could have:
Brownlow - best and fairest voted by umpires
an MVP - player judged to be most valuable to their team, voted by coaches
players player - similar to MVP, voted by players or AFLPA
defensive award - player judged to be best at the defensive aspects, voted by media/committee
forward award - player judged to be best at the forward aspects, voted by media/committee
Coleman
MOTY
GOTY
Name the AA team of 18, and then the 2nd 18 who is just the next highest vote getter for each position - voted by the AA committee

Rather than have a 'count' you do a top 5 for each award with a quick highlights package for each player.
All voting is made available to the public
For any media award you select 2 x media form each State to vote (ideally helps removes any biases)

I like your thinking.

On MVP, I’ve never felt comfortable with the terminology. In the NBA, who is most valuable is muddied by whether someone is the most valuable player in the league outright (aka the best) or the most valuable player in the league to their own team.

I only really care about best; even best is subjective but at least it’s not muddy.

Best and fairest (or fairest and best) is great, although the fairest player is rarely also the best. I care more about players cheating on the field, like holding their man constantly, than some accidental collision that results in a chook raffle suspension.

Separately, I would favour any system that emphasises the contributions of forwards more. They have the most difficult job on the ground. Whilst I don’t mind a separate award for forwards, I think they should have the opportunity to win the Brownlow award for best player if they are indeed the best in the competition in a given year. The current system is not working.

Last edited:

On MVP, I’ve never felt comfortable with the terminology. In the NBA, who is most valuable is muddied by whether someone is the most valuable player in the league outright (aka the best) or the most valuable player in the league to their own team.

I only really care about best; even best is subjective but at least it’s not muddy.

Best and fairest (or fairest and best) is great, although the fairest player is rarely also the best. I care more about players cheating on the field, like holding their man constantly, than some accidental collision that results in a chook raffle suspension.

Separately, I would favour any system that emphasises the contributions of forwards more. They have the most difficult job on the ground. Whilst I don’t mind a separate award for forwards, I think they should have the opportunity to win the Brownlow award for best player if they are indeed the best in the competition in a given year. The current system is not working.
The fairest bit made more sense when there were no MRO video citing an and it was the umps who booked players. The umps were more in charge of both best AND fairest in those days.

Highly likely Diesel Williams didn’t get votes in 1993 for that 50 touch game because he was a prick to the umps all day. No report but still, no votes.

I would hope the umps still take fair behaviour into account, so a niggling, rule stretching behaviour is still a factor.

I would have liked the AFL to articulate this concept in defense of ump voting this week. The umps see the full behaviour of players, including their role organising their team, not just the disposal and goal count.

Norm Smith medalist?
Neale
Dunkley
Daicos

Or someone perhaps less likely because of tags being played...

Rayner
Bailey

Going for Brisbane and looking forward to all those Collingwood retirements / falling off a cliff.

Degoey would be my pick.

I'm staggered that Ginnivan is getting a game. His two finals were terrible, even taking into account he was sub. Turned the ball over in both games, at critical times. The one against the Dee's was particularly bad - 'ducking' to try and draw a free kick and being pinged for holding the ball.
Hoping for a good game, don't really care who wins, I'll probably start leaning one way or the other once it's underway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She probably spends most of her time polishing the spoon collection.
Schitts Creek Pain GIF by CBC

Watching them win yesterday just made me even angrier at this ******* club.

Sort your ******* s**t out, dickheads.
Yeah I was imagining black and red dominating the G but it only lasted half a second because you know we're talking about Essendon and success in the same sentence. Just feels we are so far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back