Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mason Wood channeling Buddy here

If Mason Wood is kicking a bag, something is seriously wrong defensively

If I was sentenced to death, I’d hope Max King is holding the rifle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find the way these cases are argued before the Tribunal stupid.

I'd challange the Tribunal on when the decision to bump was made, if at all. Get the Tribunal to commit to players having to pull out of contests.
I’d be curious to know how other sports deal with tribunal type stuff.

I know motorsport they just go straight to the stewards office and then that bloke makes a decision and it’s final.

Not the following day or three days later, just the umpire on the day hears the story from both sides, reviews the footage, checks the rulebook and hands down the verdict and it’s done. I don’t think suspensions are usually involved, but they have other types of penalties that impede performance during a race.

But usually neither of the people involved are concussed or in hospital so I guess that’s also a consideration.

The only other sport I follow remotely closely is cricket and aside from ball tampering allegations I really can’t think of an analogous function within the organisation. 🤔 all the normal umpiring is subject to video review anyway.

Perhaps that would be the way… have like a yellow card/red card system that can only be handed down by the video review umpire. Gets to the video umpire either from a referral by the field umps or the clubs can make up to 2 bad referrals per game (including goal reviews). Penalties applied at the start of the next quarter, or following game in the case of 4th quarter incidents 🤔 Although that makes a red card particularly bad in the fourth quarter as you’d miss the whole next game, rather than whatever remains of the current one. Perhaps add a black card for multi-game suspensions in accordance with the tables that the MRO already uses… and fines to go with any cards applied.

I’d be curious to know how other sports deal with tribunal type stuff.

I know motorsport they just go straight to the stewards office and then that bloke makes a decision and it’s final.

Not the following day or three days later, just the umpire on the day hears the story from both sides, reviews the footage, checks the rulebook and hands down the verdict and it’s done. I don’t think suspensions are usually involved, but they have other types of penalties that impede performance during a race.

But usually neither of the people involved are concussed or in hospital so I guess that’s also a consideration.

The only other sport I follow remotely closely is cricket and aside from ball tampering allegations I really can’t think of an analogous function within the organisation. 🤔 all the normal umpiring is subject to video review anyway.

Perhaps that would be the way… have like a yellow card/red card system that can only be handed down by the video review umpire. Gets to the video umpire either from a referral by the field umps or the clubs can make up to 2 bad referrals per game (including goal reviews). Penalties applied at the start of the next quarter, or following game in the case of 4th quarter incidents 🤔 Although that makes a red card particularly bad in the fourth quarter as you’d miss the whole next game, rather than whatever remains of the current one. Perhaps add a black card for multi-game suspensions in accordance with the tables that the MRO already uses… and fines to go with any cards applied.
Clubs during the VFL/AFL era have a history of taking matters to court when a player is suspended if a tribunal decision goes against them.

If I recall correctly, the appeals tribunal came about due to the suspension of Greg Williams for pushing an umpire in the mid to late 90's. Ironically, in a match against us.

I follow F1 and they have a sort of demerits system where drivers can lose points from their licence for infringements, if all points are lost in a 12 month period, they can't drive. I don't recall this ever being enforced, but they are another sporting organisation that is prepared to take matters before the courts.

Just as important is the way players interact with umpires when reported/carded or sin binned.

Soccer players get right up in the Refs face to remonstrate with them. NFL teams/players seem move on with the next play quickly. NRL Captains and offending players are both given an explanation for the report/sin binning and although there may be a minor disagreement, they get on with it.

AFL players throw their arms out, have a fair bit to say and some find it difficult to let it go and give away a 50. Stop yelling at me Devon! If some players find it difficult to have a free paid against them (Stringer, never in the wrong), imagine how much they would sook it up if they got a red card.

Although, I think the AFL make a rod for their own back when they relax or change the the interpretations of rules during the season. It's frustrating for supporters, imagine how the players feel.

Clubs during the VFL/AFL era have a history of taking matters to court when a player is suspended if a tribunal decision goes against them.

If I recall correctly, the appeals tribunal came about due to the suspension of Greg Williams for pushing an umpire in the mid to late 90's. Ironically, in a match against us.

I follow F1 and they have a sort of demerits system where drivers can lose points from their licence for infringements, if all points are lost in a 12 month period, they can't drive. I don't recall this ever being enforced, but they are another sporting organisation that is prepared to take matters before the courts.

Just as important is the way players interact with umpires when reported/carded or sin binned.

Soccer players get right up in the Refs face to remonstrate with them. NFL teams/players seem move on with the next play quickly. NRL Captains and offending players are both given an explanation for the report/sin binning and although there may be a minor disagreement, they get on with it.

AFL players throw their arms out, have a fair bit to say and some find it difficult to let it go and give away a 50. Stop yelling at me Devon! If some players find it difficult to have a free paid against them (Stringer, never in the wrong), imagine how much they would sook it up if they got a red card.

Although, I think the AFL make a rod for their own back when they relax or change the the interpretations of rules during the season. It's frustrating for supporters, imagine how the players feel.
I think the simpler change is going harder on duty of care.

A guy in the air is prone. Interrupting his centre of gravity is going to increase the propensity for a fall that results in concussion or other injury.

Cripps was late to the contest and had options to let ah chee land and tackle him then.
Adjudicate as such. He opted the mid air contest, caused the concussion as a result and with the same application of the bunp rule gets a suspension.

Reckon LDU wins a Charlie one day, he’s got there a little slower but his combination of power and lateral movement has shades of Judd.

Obviously my advice to him as a player is get the **** out of there.

Hollands kicking has blown me away. He is sublime by foot.

Probably the complete package. Slicing kick, Hard as nails, bit of pace, great overhead, loves a tackle. 5 years time he’s gonna be the best in the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back