Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kangaroos are playing decent footy, though not receiving any rewards - I suspect if they don't chalk up a win in the next three rounds, heads will drop, and they'll cop two or three hammerings.
They have had the unluckiest start to a season I have ever seen. It takes more than just mental weakness to lose when you are up by 7 points with a couple of minutes to go.

But it's funny because their supporters hate us :)

Kangaroos are playing decent footy, though not receiving any rewards - I suspect if they don't chalk up a win in the next three rounds, heads will drop, and they'll cop two or three hammerings.
I've never found the 'team x beat team y by the same margin as they beat team z, therefore y and z are on the same level' logic to ever work in practice.

What the general view about the standard of that Fremantle v North game last night?

It didn't feel like two bottom six sides playing each other. It's was quite a high standard at least with the intensity around the ball. Skills seemed to hold up pretty well under the pressure.

North have a had a horrible draw and should be at least 3-2 or 2-3 based on how they have been playing.

Unless I missed something Basil's assessment of Vickers-Willis debut was generous. He was, understandably, off the pace.

Hope that the problems with his body are a thing of the past.

Has as much ability as any player in the AFL. Could be a star forward or a destructive inside/out midfielder.
They'll have their fingers crossed at North coz they're crying out for a star/marquee player. Desperate even, when you consider what they are supposedly willing to throw at Kelly.

Simpkin and Garner look to have the potential but who else would you look at and say 'there's an elite player in the making.'?

They'll have their fingers crossed at North coz they're crying out for a star/marquee player. Desperate even, when you consider what they are supposedly willing to throw at Kelly.

Simpkin and Garner look to have the potential but who else would you look at and say 'there's an elite player in the making.'?

Like Garner but probably not a star in the making.

Simpkin looks great.

Still think McDonald is capable of controlling the tempo of a game from half back or even in the middle.

They've got a pretty good set of kids coming through and it's well balanced but at this stage it's probably only Wood, Simpkin and McDonakd who are the game breakers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the general view about the standard of that Fremantle v North game last night?

It didn't feel like two bottom six sides playing each other. It's was quite a high standard at least with the intensity around the ball. Skills seemed to hold up pretty well under the pressure.

North have a had a horrible draw and should be at least 3-2 or 2-3 based on how they have been playing.

Unless I missed something Basil's assessment of Vickers-Willis debut was generous. He was, understandably, off the pace.
Nah I think you're spot on. It was a quality game at times and as for Basil.....put him on ignore.

How many games do you think North Melbourne will win in their first 10?

Eagles (Etihad)
Cats (Etihad)
Giants (Blundstone)
Bulldogs (Etihad)
Dockers (Domain)
Suns (Etihad)
Crows (Etihad)
Swans (Etihad)
Demons (MCG)
Blues (Etihad)

2 to 3 at most. Hard to see them doing well considering their off-season.

It was easy to see this coming, they have actually exceeded my expectations.

Adelaide 2017 reminds me a lot of Essendon 2012. Fast out of the blocks and then literally hamstrung with soft tissue injuries which crippled the second half of the year. It's a long season and an interesting one.

From what I've seen North haven't played badly. Freo's form has been variable. Who would have predicted 0-5 for Sydney and Hawkers? Perhaps equalisation is working?

He didn't set the world on fire but I thought there were some really promising signs for EVW - was already taking on others to rebound off half back and play through the middle rather then waiting for the cheap outlet kicks. Execution was lacking at times but looks like he has a lot of potential.

Unfortunately he plays for North so only a matter of a year or two before all that talent is thrown out the window and he turns into another plodder.

Maybe it's just nostalgia from watching the footy as teenager in the mid noughties, but I really liked the Channel 10 commentary of Michael Christian, Tim Lane and Steven Quartermaine. I think Wallsy, Luke Darcy and Huddo were also around at that time but it was the first 3 that I enjoyed the most. I can't stand the vast majority of commentary now. Peter Bell goes alright though but I don't think he is full time.

Tim Lane and Steven Quartermaine. I think Wallsy, Luke Darcy and Huddo were also around at that time but it was the first 3 that I enjoyed the most.
Jeepers. Christian was good and Huddo is bearable when he's not being all shouty but the others were absolute poo imo. Lane and Quarterbrain in particular when they were calling their team or a team they don't like (like us for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back