Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta give it to Sellwood - Most dominant performance by a player so far this year - Reminds me of the most dominant performance in my time playing foot - On this day in 1977, L.Matthews got a lazy 41 possessions and kicked a lazy 11 goals.

Had an interrupted run at it with a plethora of hammy issues, which has undoubtedly impeded his development in adapting to league intensity.

Thought he showed glimpses of class today but let himself down by foot horribly.

Id like to see him string a full year together before judging.
Ahh okay then that makes sense. I haven't really paid much attention to him so that's solid.

Has a shocking set shot routine but manages to find himself in good sports up forward.

There is a sensational thread on the WCE board about the clean out they require.

I love seeing them lose a game they were sure they would win.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There is a sensational thread on the WCE board about the clean out they require.

Well long term there isn't certainly a lot to look forward to.

Well long term there isn't certainly a lot to look forward to.

Its stupidity at West Coast.

Doing the same thing by using the same squad of players expecting a different result

So Ted Richards was on Grandstand today. Briefly touched on why his brother is playing NEAFL for Sydney Uni. They basically offered him a free masters degree, free board in student housing on top of paying him to play football. Now that's what I call a sweet deal.

Their recruiting & development has been really poor over the last 6 or so years. Since 2011, they have had so few players playing regular senior football for any substantial time in any meaningful role. I'd love to be a mediocre senior player at the Eagles. Guaranteed job security with no fear of being dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn is out? Bugger.

Richmond do struggle against Melbourne, but I can't see the Dees winning this one.

Did his Hammy. he is out for a long time (8> weeks).

Their recruiting & development has been really poor over the last 6 or so years. Since 2011, they have had so few players playing regular senior football for any substantial time in any meaningful role. I'd love to be a mediocre senior player at the Eagles. Guaranteed job security with no fear of being dropped.

It must be a very difficult task to manage the development and evolution of the team. Expectations have always been ridiculous and every second week they are belting someone at home, looking great which means that finals are almost guaranteed.

it would take a pair of big dirty balls, of the Matthews, Blight or Clarkson type, to drop these mediocre players when they look like guns every second week but that's exactly what they need.

If Chris Masten has had a meaningful impact on a game it was definitely the one I missed (and I'm not interested in how much of the ball he gets). He's a one paced semi inside/out midfielder - really he is an Essendon 2002 to 2015 midfielder. Hill has played basically every week but is average and can't give them anything through the middle. Cripps is more of the same which kills them given that he only ever seems to play well when the side plays well.

They're probably easy targets but given that they are clearly best 22 players it's a good place to start and when you've got forwards of the quality of Kennedy, Darling and Le Cras, and a weak midfield, there is much less of a need to carry extra small forwards.

It's a complicated listed to assess because there are so many big reputations. The fact that Wellingham, Redden and Jetta have regressed badly as players for almost all of their careers as Eagles has badly hurt what Dodoro would call their "list build". I reckon that cost them 3 picks inside 30 and from memory it was two first round picks (for Redden and Wellingham).

I'm not convinced by Sheed as much as I want him to succeed for their sake (both West Coast and Freo miss out on too much of the top end West Aussie talent - which in the context of what GWS gets handed really pisses me off). Duggan is probably an AFL player but he's no club's saviour from what I've seen. Don't know much else about their kids.

The one thing that they do very well is develop talls, though I reckon that they need to be a bit more adventurous trading some of them. They could trade one of Barrass or McGovern (though these guys are not really the problem) as neither can run but both would be extremely valuable at other clubs who do not necessarily have quality intercept defenders. While I wouldn't do it, because I think we'll cover that position within the next ten weeks, either would currently be worth a pick between 10 and 15 to Essendon (probably more McGovern than Barrass). It's not necessary to have both when you've got Shepherd and Yeo in defence together with Schofield and McKenzie and McGovern/Barrass.

Reckon that they would also want Lycett to get fit and have a really strong end to 2017. He could net a first round pick and is a waste behind Nic Nat.

Last edited:
Are more picks the answer though? If the players they draft don't come on and the players they trade in go backwards, the last thing I'd be doing is trading out young talent.

I hadn't though about that but I think, ultimately, they'll just need to get it right.

Say Sheed and Duggan are just players, it's probably not that much of an issue if they've got the three picks used on Wellingham, Redden and Jetta (as weight of numbers would say that at least two of the five picks would end up being very good).

Edit: Jetta was a swap for Sinclair. Wellingham and Redden both picks 17.

Last edited:
Reckon that they would also want Lycett to get fit and have a really strong end to 2017. He could net a first round pick and is a waste behind Nic Nat.

Lycett seems really over rated to me. I'd hate for us to give up a first rounder for him. Seems like he isn't a very smart footballer at all.

Shows what you can miss when you go overseas. Had no idea.

That's a huge blow to the Dees. Absolutely huge.

Massive loss and may be their chance of making finals, throw in Hogan and Lewis getting themselves suspended and they have dropped a few games they should have won.

Spencer (I think that's his name) had great form in JLT though so they will be not horribly disadvantaged, but it has brought that midfield down to the pack a bit and robbed them of continuity.

I really rate their list though so they will be ok going forward.

Lycett seems really over rated to me. I'd hate for us to give up a first rounder for him. Seems like he isn't a very smart footballer at all.

I'll admit to being seduced by seeing Lycett do some freakish things at ground level for a bloke his size.

As is the case with most second-string ruckmen who are traded, their value is not about established performances, you pay a premium because it is usually obvious that your club desperately needs a ruckman (which undermines bargaining power) and because you're getting a structurally significant player who has already had 3 to 5 years of time invested in his development.

I should correct what I said, anyway, I was thinking of a pick between 15 and 20 (so it's really late first round early second round). That's stll a very valuable pick.

Massive loss and may be their chance of making finals, throw in Hogan and Lewis getting themselves suspended and they have dropped a few games they should have won.

Spencer (I think that's his name) had great form in JLT though so they will be not horribly disadvantaged, but it has brought that midfield down to the pack a bit and robbed them of continuity.

I really rate their list though so they will be ok going forward.

I don't think losing Gawn hurts them that much. Spencer is a good replacement because he's a good tap ruckman, a strong presence around the ball and fit enough to ruck 80% of game time (so it should not upset their structure).

It should not be the difference between beating Fremantle and Richmond. If they end up losing two in a row it is because they are still weak as piss mentally.

Richmond will have no answer for Petrac. Spencer is no Gawn but good enough, Hogan owes so Dees by 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back