Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sydney are a sleeper. Starting from a long way back, but you'd be silly to think they couldn't pose headaches.

I for one would not be confident when it's our turn to play them.

I will be in Sydney for that game - Hoping for a good result.

No surprise that Fremantle was battered by Adelaide - Their revival has been misleading, as they've sneaked over the line in a 2 or 3 games, yet comprehensively outplayed by WC and Adelaide - Fremantle are still a long way from the top teams.

Promising signs from Brisbane. What I would be doing if I were them this off-season:

1. Trade for Kurt Tippett. Given the rumours surrounding his discontent at Sydney and their need to have that senior key forward where they can just bang it long and get a contest, it could be a win/win.
2. Use their current pick 13 (I think? Lore) to get more points. Pick 19 is one that they could trade for points as well to get Ballenden
3. Bring in a definite best 22 mature key defender. Andy Otten or Eric MacKenzie as a FA works.
4. If Schache leaves, get a top 10 pick for him.

Overall, the trades would look like:

1. Pick 19 for Tippett and 41
2. Schache for pick 7 (Collingwood)
3. Picks 7 and 13, 41, 42 for 3, 21, 30 (Gold Coast)

Overall that means they have picks 1, 3, 21, 30, 73. Will 21, 30 and 73 be enough for Ballenden?

Tippett isn't worth pick 19, I wouldn't do that trade for Brisbane. Tippett would be somewhere between 25-35 on form. 19 is too valuable for bid value.

Tippett isn't worth pick 19, I wouldn't do that trade for Brisbane. Tippett would be somewhere between 25-35 on form. 19 is too valuable for bid value.
They don't have a pick between 25 and 35, and that's why they're bringing 41 back in. If you look at the points value, then that places it between 34 and 35. In any case, pick 19 will likely be used for points on Ballenden. No point in keeping it.

So I haven't really been paying attention to this whole jumper punch saga, but I was just paying attention to Jon Ralph's half time Meet The Press nonsense, and they were doing a bit on the jumper punch stuff and highlighted some incidents from the round. They finished by showing that one particular incident, saying that will be a test case for the 'crackdown', before doing some banter about how who knows how it'll go (coz the MRP is a lottery lololol). There's just one problem with the incident that will be a test case for the jumper punch crackdown: IT WASN'T A ****ING JUMPER PUNCH

The incident in question is the Zak Jones one: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-05-26/jones-may-have-chosen-wrong-week-to-do-this

The incident is completely unrelated to the past week, and whatever the judgement is from the MRP, it's completely unrelated to the last week. Now, I'm reasonably confident Jones' punch will be marked as medium impact. It definitely should be in my eyes. I'm also reasonably confident it will have been marked as a medium punch prior to last week. It's a proper punch with a fair old wind up, more than the Ben Cunnington one, which is factored into the impact. (although glancing the ground while swinging probably took a bit of force out of it). People shouldn't read too much into whatever the finding for this is because it's just not a good test case.

Anyway the funny thing about the jumper punch stuff is that prior to the 2015 changes, all these incidents would have graded as level 2 strike offences, drawing 125 points, down to 93 with an early guilty plea, but then if the player has done this before, he'll have carry over points and he'll get bumped up over 100 points and be suspended, or if the player does something else later on, he'll have those 93 points ready to bite him. So even if you escape the ban initially, you've still got something hanging over you. And then we changed the rules to get Fyfe a Brownlow or whatever and now it truly does look like you're not being punished...

So I haven't really been paying attention to this whole jumper punch saga, but I was just paying attention to Jon Ralph's half time Meet The Press nonsense, and they were doing a bit on the jumper punch stuff and highlighted some incidents from the round. They finished by showing that one particular incident, saying that will be a test case for the 'crackdown', before doing some banter about how who knows how it'll go (coz the MRP is a lottery lololol). There's just one problem with the incident that will be a test case for the jumper punch crackdown: IT WASN'T A ****ING JUMPER PUNCH

The incident in question is the Zak Jones one: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-05-26/jones-may-have-chosen-wrong-week-to-do-this

The incident is completely unrelated to the past week, and whatever the judgement is from the MRP, it's completely unrelated to the last week. Now, I'm reasonably confident Jones' punch will be marked as medium impact. It definitely should be in my eyes. I'm also reasonably confident it will have been marked as a medium punch prior to last week. It's a proper punch with a fair old wind up, more than the Ben Cunnington one, which is factored into the impact. (although glancing the ground while swinging probably took a bit of force out of it). People shouldn't read too much into whatever the finding for this is because it's just not a good test case.

Anyway the funny thing about the jumper punch stuff is that prior to the 2015 changes, all these incidents would have graded as level 2 strike offences, drawing 125 points, down to 93 with an early guilty plea, but then if the player has done this before, he'll have carry over points and he'll get bumped up over 100 points and be suspended, or if the player does something else later on, he'll have those 93 points ready to bite him. So even if you escape the ban initially, you've still got something hanging over you. And then we changed the rules to get Fyfe a Brownlow or whatever and now it truly does look like you're not being punished...

I query whether Jones used a clenched fist or an open hand - This will be an interesting case.

Last edited:
God this is gutsy by the giants. Lost scully before the game, missing 7-8 best 22.

Looking forward to testing ourselves against thrm next week
It helps when their top 30 is other clubs top 15

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back