Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see Richmond's ordinary but well-drilled foot soldiers standing up to high pressure footy when the other team has much more class across the field.

No way the Tigers play that well again.
The Tigers have played with pressure all year and they've been the most consistent team for the year along with Adelaide. GWS however have wilted under pressure on multiple occasions so I really doubt that they can stand up to the pressure at the MCG, especially if it is going to be wet. Richmond also match up pretty well against the Giants.

I think the one that should be really worried is Adelaide. Geelong can play at Adelaide Oval very well. They've been Adelaide's bogey team for a long time. If Geelong bring the midfield pressure that they are capable of, Adelaide will struggle

Wow lots of similarities, although Geelong were very dominant in 2007.

Geelong
Richmond
2005 finals loss 2015 finals loss
2006 miss finals 2016 miss finals
2006 Internal review 2016 Internal review
2006 Thompson survives 2016 Hardwick Survives
2007 Balme recruited 2017 Balme recruited
2007 Liston Trophy (Byrne) 2017 Liston Trophy (Townsend)
2007 AFLPA MVP (Ablett) 2017 AFLPA MCP (Martin)
2007 AFLCA MVP (Ablett) 2017 AFLCA MVP (Martin)
2007 Brownlow (Bartel) 2017 Brownlow (Martin?)
2007 AFL flag 2017 AFL flag (?)
2007 VFL flag 2017 VFL flag (?)

All the Geelong VS Swans game showed was how poor our tall players were last week - Yes the Swan's midfield was a bit better on the night, but it was our tall players that caused the loss.

Did they not turn up or did we not let them? Geelongs mids are significanly bigger bodied than ours and it's showed. If you don't win the contested footy you're stuffed. Sydney monstered us last week and so far tonight Geelong are doing it to them.

Seriously - Sdney won the contested ball last week by 4 - Why we lost was two fold - Tall players incompetence in the air and Sydney stifling our defensive transition - Sydney midfield was better but it was hardly an overwhelming factor.

How has Heath Shaw gone this year? I don't think I've heard him mentioned at all this year, which is kind of odd, hah.
Has struggled at times and is on the edge of the cliff - One more season will see him out.

Seriously - Sdney won the contested ball last week by 4 - Why we lost was two fold - Tall players incompetence in the air and Sydney stifling our defensive transition - Sydney midfield was better but it was hardly an overwhelming factor.

Contested ball numbers are a furphy. They monstered us

Contested ball numbers are a furphy. They monstered us

It's not a furphy - They won contested ball by 4 - Whereas in the H and A game, Sydney won the contested ball by 14 in a game we should have won - They stopped our defensive run and out tall backs were impotent in the air.

It was a bit of both. I haven't watched the replay but my recollection of the 2nd quarter was that they totally dominated us in the air. This led to a lot of possession and an awful lot of territory, which is dynamite on a ground as short as the SCG.

It's not a furphy - They won contested ball by 4 - Whereas in the H and A game, Sydney won the contested ball by 14 in a game we should have won - They stopped our defensive run and out tall backs were impotent in the air.
The game was won in the 2nd qtr. We were destroyed in the midfield in the 2nd qtr.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

It was a bit of both. I haven't watched the replay but my recollection of the 2nd quarter was that they totally dominated us in the air. This led to a lot of possession and an awful lot of territory, which is dynamite on a ground as short as the SCG.

Overall, Sydney's midfield was better than Essendon's - But if the Essendon talls did the required job, the damage in the second quarter would have been minimised - Add the player's inability to transition from defensive because Sydney set up the ground so well - That's why inside 50's were 52 to 32.

Overall, Sydney's midfield was better than Essendon's - But if the Essendon talls did the required job, the damage in the second quarter would have been minimised - Add the player's inability to transition from defensive because Sydney set up the ground so well - That's why inside 50's were 52 to 32.
Are you going to comment on Sydney's absolute dominence out of the middle in the 2nd qtr? They monstered the Essendon mids and made them look second rate. You obviously spend too much time watching Whoosha's fluff pieces.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised you're not backing your eye Yaco. Absolutely agree that the tall backs could have done more killing the ball at times but the numbers are definitely fibbing.

Contested ball differential of 4 generally suggests a pretty even contest, until you look at the stats and see that our back 7 had 30 of ours and their back 7 combined for only 15, so if you take that into account it's far more indicative of what actually happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His passion can never be denied and what he never seems to do is have a go at anyone else for sharing their opinions. Which do you think is worse, sharing an opinion on a footy forum or bagging someone because of their opinion?

Having s**t opinions consistently is by far worse imo. One of the things i can't stand about Bigfooty is ignorant posters trying to state opinions as facts when theres clear evidence to the contrary. Sure everyone has a bad post or two (im no exception) but consistently posting incorrect drivel just derails threads. Wish we got rid of posters who did it tbh.

Trying to claim thats passion rather then stupidy is a pearler too. Nothing more fun then reading the over reactions when down a goal at half time asking to sack the coach, drop half the team and calling the club s**t.

On topic... anyone else hoping for a Cats v Tigers grand final rematch? I think you get one of two great storylines in the cat clash:

1. Tigers finally get their redemption and reward for sticking with Hardwick and Cotch - prove to others that stability is a good model. You also get the super salty Cats fans about losing at the MCG twice. GWS kept out of the grand final for another year.

2. Cats win, the dynasty continues after a mini rebuild is enough - Danger gets a well deserved premiership and everyone has a good laugh at the Tigers for a continued premiership drought. Revenge enacted after losing their first 'home game '.

Having s**t opinions consistently is by far worse imo. One of the things i can't stand about Bigfooty is ignorant posters trying to state opinions as facts when theres clear evidence to the contrary. Sure everyone has a bad post or two (im no exception) but consistently posting incorrect drivel just derails threads. Wish we got rid of posters who did it tbh.

Trying to claim thats passion rather then stupidy is a pearler too. Nothing more fun then reading the over reactions when down a goal at half time asking to sack the coach, drop half the team and calling the club s**t.

On topic... anyone else hoping for a Cats v Tigers grand final rematch? I think you get one of two great storylines in the cat clash:

1. Tigers finally get their redemption and reward for sticking with Hardwick and Cotch - prove to others that stability is a good model. You also get the super salty Cats fans about losing at the MCG twice. GWS kept out of the grand final for another year.

2. Cats win, the dynasty continues after a mini rebuild is enough - Danger gets a well deserved premiership and everyone has a good laugh at the Tigers for a continued premiership drought. Revenge enacted after losing their first 'home game '.

I'll take the 3rd option of Adelaide vs GWS, where Matt De Boer kicks 4 goals in the 3rd quarter to turn the game on it's head, and David Mackay wins the Norm Smith.

Thought you preferred the eye test to stats. Sydney smashed us in the contest in the second qtr when the game was won. Their mids monstered ours at the contest, hence the game being played mostly in their forward half. Anything that happened after that was irrelevant as they put the cue on the rack.

What was the stat at half time at which poit the game was cooked?

Thought you preferred the eye test to stats. Sydney smashed us in the contest in the second qtr when the game was won. Their mids monstered ours at the contest, hence the game being played mostly in their forward half. Anything that happened after that was irrelevant as they put the cue on the rack.
Nailed it.

Robert Walls is on SEN talking about Longmire's failings in the coaching box. He's talking about the failure to move Grundy onto Dangerfield.

Honestly, listening to these fossils really makes me wonder about the level of pre-2000 football intelligence.

For a start, the failing of Longmire is to refuse to develop a plan B despite his side being picked apart by Hawthorn who has laid out the blueprint for the way to beat Sydney (assuming that you can bring the requisite level of pressure around the ball).

Given that Dangerfield was torching Rampe, who himself is extremely quick on the lead, I fail to see what Grundy who runs slowly on train tracks would have done. Again, that's why you throw Dangerfield forward because there are maybe 5 players in the AFL who you could say would be good 1v1 match-ups for him because he's not just explosive, he's as strong a player as there is. It demands that you change you're whole defensive structure to block space in front of him.

No matter how much footy these guys 'watch' they really seem to have no idea how games are won and lost. Walls is a premiership coach. I don't expect him to be completely up to date with every strategy, there is a complexity of tactics that doesn't get into the public domain, but being able to provide a basic overview of issues which isn't 'tag X' or 'change the full back' would be the minimum I would expect a retired premiership coach to be capable of. I don't accept that it becomes too dry or boring, every program will have multiple 'experts' on to discuss the same thing - they might as well do it properly.

SEN reporting this morning that Dew has agreed to a coaching contract with Port Adelaide.
Ken Hinkley will officially announce at 4.30 today that he is leaving Port and off to the Gold Coast

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I know its the business but I'll never understand how a coach can push dedication, commitment, and the concept of 'team' to the players and then walk out on a contract.

Kochie said on radio a few days ago that a contract is a contract and Hinkley is going nowhere so its not even a mutually satisfying and accepted parting of ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back