Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know that a deduction doesn’t mean you actually get all your money back don’t you?

It only reduces his taxable income. And only if the donation is to an organisation on the deductible gifts register.

Bottom line it is tax deductible. It's a lazy punishment which shows no foresight at all

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk

And *gasp* charities tend to be in the business of helping people.
Yeah society has a habit of ordering castaways to complete charity work, without any consequences as to the person's suitability.

Athletes are taxed differently from Joe Citizen anyway, because they earn such a massive amount over a short period. That and a heap of it goes into the player retirement fund and super and stuff as well. It will definitely hurt his hip pocket a little.

The two fines together are a lot heftier than swearing at an ump for the third time... you'd have to just about KO the ump to get anything like it on the footy field (presumably that would come with hefty match suspensions in reality but you get the analogy).

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 6.06.42 pm.png

edit: ^ that's last years. 2018: "Fines for low-level offences will increase from $2000 to $3000 for first offences, $3000 to $5000 for second offences and $5000 to $8000 for third offences."

Bottom line it is tax deductible. It's a lazy punishment which shows no foresight at all

I cant see most of the content of your post.

He wont get most of the 10k back that he’s donating and he’ll get none of the 10k back the club has fined him. He’ll also lose god knows how many weeks of match payments. It’s not a ‘wet lettuce’ punishment at all.

Can I just put it out there that everyone’s well and truly over reacting to this? Yes his previous offence carries weight but what do you guys want? He will be punished by the law of the land as well as 20k in fines/donations. Clearly that’s enough. I’m sick and tired of Teflon Australians that love to have a crack at any tall poppy they can get in their sights, like they’ve never made a poor decision themselves. You can’t hang this kid. Just let it go for gods sake.

He wont get most of the 10k back that he’s donating and he’ll get none of the 10k back the club has fined him. He’ll also lose god knows how many weeks of match payments. It’s not a ‘wet lettuce’ punishment at all.
He also has to get a real job for four weeks, train with the VFL team...

I suspect he won't miss a H&A match though. If he has any inclination to it he will "convince his teammates" that he is trustworthy or whatever in reasonably short order. Kinda like Carlisle and his pre-season suspension/served concurrently with other suspension.

He also has to get a real job for four weeks, train with the VFL team...

I suspect he won't miss a H&A match though. If he has any inclination to it he will "convince his teammates" that he is trustworthy or whatever in reasonably short order. Kinda like Carlisle and his pre-season suspension/served concurrently with other suspension.
Apparently he wouldn’t have been fit for round one anyway. So he probably will miss some early matches but perhaps not due to suspension.

Apparently he wouldn’t have been fit for round one anyway. So he probably will miss some early matches but perhaps not due to suspension.
Probably. :huh:

I'm curious how Essendon would deal with something like this. Would it be all like "met with the leadership group and here is ten penalties"... or just stood down by management? Only example recently is Gach Nyuon but he was a rookie so idk if that's quite the same thing :eyes:

That doesn't help the debate. My post also refers to the institutions of society sending any ' Tom, Dick or Harry ' to participate into community service or charity without giving any consideration to the person's suitability.

That doesn't help the debate. My post also refers to the institutions of society sending any ' Tom, Dick or Harry ' to participate into community service or charity without giving any consideration to the person's suitability.

Perhaps because it forces them to see how other people live and to meet people who don't necessarily have much but still donate whatever they can spare, as compared to the privileged hedonistic life of the average AFL footballer?

In some ways it's also giving back to the community to try and undo the harm they have created in other ways (although that could get us into some pretty interesting moral philosophy arguments).

Also the PR aspect. Doing charity work gives the public the warm fuzzies, the perception of doing the right thing and repairing harm to the community (and their own/the clubs reputation), even if they don't really actually do anything.

Really depends on your level of cynical but I really don't see a bad side for either the player or the club. Whether the public benefits is pretty secondary.

so this polar bear walked into a bar and asked for a scotch.....

...on the rocks.

so the bartender says, “sure, but what’s with the big paws”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not being able to see the debate doesn’t help either!!!

Probably. :huh:

I'm curious how Essendon would deal with something like this. Would it be all like "met with the leadership group and here is ten penalties"... or just stood down by management? Only example recently is Gach Nyuon but he was a rookie so idk if that's quite the same thing :eyes:
Hopefully in a similar vein to Collingwood.

It’s a heavy punishment, but the player has an opportunity to make amends and rebuild their career. Working a regular job might also give him a ‘ghost of Christmas future’ moment.

wtf happened here mate

so this polar bear walked into a bar and asked for a scotch.....

...on the rocks.

so the bartender says, “sure, but what’s with the big paws”
WHY SHOULDN’T YOU TAKE POLAR BEARS TO THE ZOO?

BECAUSE THEY PREFER THE MOVIES.

(Ok Jmoo?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back