Expansion Non-Expansion Teams with Academies?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be happy for any team that became a permanent Tasmanian side to have unrestricted access to all talent coming from that state. Go on North.

You'll need to follow this through yourself, you can even get across the Essendon regions:

Academy programs
Each AFL Club has a designated region to run their own Next Generation and/or Club Academy Program, which may involve a variety of activities including:

• Australian Rules Football Clinics and skills sessions
  • 'Come and Try' days involving an introduction to Australian Rules football
  • Leadership and Teamwork programs
  • Fitness Testing and training programs
  • Education sessions (i.e. Cultural Awareness, Nutrition, Health Living, etc.)
Participants will be exposed to an elite football environment through top-level coaching, first-class facilities and expertise across health, fitness and personal development. Each Clubs program may differ slightly, but will involve multiple sessions across each of these key areas and will be conducted through school holidays and/or out of hour's programs.

Regions
Each club has a designated region to conduct their Next Generation and/or Club Academy programs. The above map outlines each of the Club's Academy Regions, and provides a web link for each Clubs webpage where further information can be gathered on specific club programs (see map).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/nga-clubacademies
Blues and Saints?...Apologies if I'm blind

It's a system to make up for the gws academy that everybody was sooking about. It seems a good way to get the club's to invest in grass roots.

Work should be well underway at all clubs, e.g:http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2018-06-26/eagles-impart-knowledge-on-pilbara-talents

In addition to the Pilbara visit, coaching and training sessions were conducted in the Midlands (Watheroo) and South West (Busselton) to underline West Coast’s commitment to its regional base.

Delivery of the club’s education and academy programs would not be possible without the ongoing support of principal community partner BHP.

Got any example of your club on the go?

It was before the saga, and I don't think many people at Essendon give a s**t about the saga.

Reckon everyone concerned (including the players) would have read this in the todays press:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...f-unprofessional-conduct-20180705-p4zpry.html

…. Dr Willcourt was criticised for failing to take clinical histories of the players, examine the players, or establish a clinical need for the testing.

The doctor also failed to ensure the players had informed consent for the blood analysis, instead relying upon Mr Dank's word that all the tests had been sanctioned by club doctor Bruce Reid.

Dr Willcourt’s defence said he believed he was assisting Dr Reid with an assessment of the impact of the Essendon players’ dietary regime and physical workload.

He said Mr Dank had assured him that the players voluntarily participated in the study and the purpose of the study had been discussed with them.

An expert report by Dr Robert Murdoch found Dr Willcourt’s clinical care was “non-existent”.

Blues and Saints?...Apologies if I'm blind

Carlton and St Kilda both get treated unfairly with the size of their allocated zones compared to other Victorian clubs, so I don’t blame you for not noticing them.

Carlton seems to have the smallest zone in terms of area size in Victoria (northern suburbs around Darebin and Whittlesea) and St Kilda the second smallest (Bayside suburbs around Sandringham), yet neither seems to have been allocated anywhere outside of Victoria. Compare that to North Melbourne, who gets access to Tasmania, as well as a larger sized area in Melbourne around Wyndham council. Melbourne, Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn also get a larger area in Victoria, as well as vast swathes of land in the Northern Territory.

Reckon everyone concerned (including the players) would have read this in the todays press:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...f-unprofessional-conduct-20180705-p4zpry.html

…. Dr Willcourt was criticised for failing to take clinical histories of the players, examine the players, or establish a clinical need for the testing.

The doctor also failed to ensure the players had informed consent for the blood analysis, instead relying upon Mr Dank's word that all the tests had been sanctioned by club doctor Bruce Reid.

Dr Willcourt’s defence said he believed he was assisting Dr Reid with an assessment of the impact of the Essendon players’ dietary regime and physical workload.

He said Mr Dank had assured him that the players voluntarily participated in the study and the purpose of the study had been discussed with them.

An expert report by Dr Robert Murdoch found Dr Willcourt’s clinical care was “non-existent”.

So was Dr Reid, but he is still employed for some reason..

All Victorian teams have academies that just apply to indigenous players, I do not like them. AFL should be solely responsible for grass roots development and the draft should be used to distribute the talent where it is needed the most.

Carlton and St Kilda both get treated unfairly with the size of their allocated zones compared to other Victorian clubs, so I don’t blame you for not noticing them.

Carlton seems to have the smallest zone in terms of area size in Victoria (northern suburbs around Darebin and Whittlesea) and St Kilda the second smallest (Bayside suburbs around Sandringham), yet neither seems to have been allocated anywhere outside of Victoria. Compare that to North Melbourne, who gets access to Tasmania, as well as a larger sized area in Melbourne around Wyndham council. Melbourne, Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn also get a larger area in Victoria, as well as vast swathes of land in the Northern Territory.

I think the size of the zones are based on the population density of indigenous people. I think there are less than 20k indigenous people in all of Tasmania and less than 2k in all of Wyndham.

All Victorian teams have academies that just apply to indigenous players, I do not like them. AFL should be solely responsible for grass roots development and the draft should be used to distribute the talent where it is needed the most.
As a principle what you say is fine and correct. In practice our academy relies on introducing young talent to the club system and our NEAFL team. The club is also in a better position to attract sponsorship.

I'd be happy for any team that became a permanent Tasmanian side to have unrestricted access to all talent coming from that state. Go on North.

...until you had to play down there every year and copped them in a final, because the conditions in Tassie already amount to the biggest home ground advantage in the game.

In your mind it probably helps Richmond though, “we’re propping North up” right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a principle what you say is fine and correct. In practice our academy relies on introducing young talent to the club system and our NEAFL team. The club is also in a better position to attract sponsorship.

Yeah, I understand there are benefits, but I would prefer if the AFL do the grass works development themselves, it is their responsibility. It just becomes another arms race for clubs, it is something we will be compelled to invest in as it can provide a significant advantage and the media has suggested Thomas can go as high as pick #1, for us to get that calibre of talent without even using our first round pick is kind of absurd.

Yeah, I understand there are benefits, but I would prefer if the AFL do the grass works development themselves, it is their responsibility. It just becomes another arms race for clubs, it is something we will be compelled to invest in as it can provide a significant advantage and the media has suggested Thomas can go as high as pick #1, for us to get that calibre of talent without even using our first round pick is kind of absurd.
It's not a simple thing. For the Northern academies there's the serious question of whether the talent has a suitable alternate pathway as well.
I assume the rules for you are the same as us, ie you can only use the number of picks you have vacant list positions for, so you will have to use valuable picks to get the points to match. You'd expect someone to bid high.

It's not a simple thing. For the Northern academies there's the serious question of whether the talent has a suitable alternate pathway as well.

I don't understand the difference between the AFL doing what the clubs are doing in the north, ie hire coaches, establish teams, etc and just significantly increase the opportunities and the quality of development. Why do the clubs have to do it when a lot of these clubs are essentially getting additional funding from the AFL to pay for it, we would just be cutting out the middle man and remove the need for academies.

I assume the rules for you are the same as us, ie you can only use the number of picks you have vacant list positions for, so you will have to use valuable picks to get the points to match. You'd expect someone to bid high.

Yeah, the rules are the same, no hidden picks. But we have 40 senior players atm, we have the capacity of having +2 extra picks by going into the draft with 5 picks and end up reducing our number of senior players from 40 down to 38. Given the leftover points are used to create a new pick, we could essentially use 3 or 4 picks on Thomas. It would be a lot more cumbersome for clubs that have a desire to take more than one player in the draft.

For us, it will come down to who Bailey Scott nominates (if anyone) and what, if any interest there is on Crocker's son. Our club thinks it can get it done without using our first round pick and said it is up for trade. I assume they have a good handle on the system.

Assuming we don't take anyone else other than Thomas in the draft, our remaining senior spots will be filled via rookie elevation. We have Murphy and Zurhaar who have played a number of games this year in the seniors that could be elevated with any type of pick.

I think the size of the zones are based on the population density of indigenous people. I think there are less than 20k indigenous people in all of Tasmania and less than 2k in all of Wyndham.

There is the multicultural component of these academies as well.

If we take just Indegenous People, then according to the various council websites, Darebin has 1,116 people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage, Whittlesea has 1,635 people, Banyule has 703 and Nilumbik has 232. That gives a total of 3,686 that Carlton has access to in its zone compared to around 22,000 for North Melbourne based on your numbers. I’d hate to think how many indegenous people clubs like Melbourne, Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon have access to in their zones given they get huge areas in the NT.

Our zone (Darebin, Whittlesea, Banyule and Nilumbik) wouldn’t be any more diverse from a multicultural perspective than any other part of Melbourne, so given that our area is the smallest, I would say we are getting a poor deal compared to other clubs on that basis as well.

Not correct Tas, multi cultural too, e.g Allir Allir, who took up the game in Q, family moved to WA, played Colts for East Freo & drafted from there.

The theory that the AFL could ever run junior footy in say the Pilbara is nonsense, as the current furore in Tas underlines.

...until you had to play down there every year and copped them in a final, because the conditions in Tassie already amount to the biggest home ground advantage in the game.

In your mind it probably helps Richmond though, “we’re propping North up” right?
I'm good with the Tassie Roos getting all the help they need, home finals and all. The poorest club in the poorest state just makes sense.

It's a system to make up for the gws academy that everybody was sooking about. It seems a good way to get the club's to invest in grass roots.

Freo might have a kid from Iran via the 18s:

Tom Medhat
Here’s one for Fremantle fans - the West Perth junior is part of your club’s Next Generation Academy. He qualifies due to his Iranian heritage and spent a week training with the Dockers at Cockburn last December. Medhat missed the start of the U18 championships because of a thumb injury but made up for lost time with three goals against the Allies – two of those in the second quarter. He stands at 190cm and knows how to take a mark.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...-as-wa-narrowly-beat-the-allies-ng-b88886562z

Remove this Banner Ad

Back