Non experts phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't watch a lot of under 18's. Just the championship and a few games here and there. Then I see highlights, read the experts and try to read between the lines as well. Plus any rumours. Either way, I still wanted to have a go at a first round but I don't want to be so self indulgent as to put it up as an expert. Nor do I want to create a thread ideally, so I thought I'd start a thread with the offer for anyone else who just wants to have a punt and provide some opinions.

Pick 1: Ess - Hugh McCluggage - I believe the Dons will be tempted by the speed/endurance combination of McGrath but class, easy time in possession and goal kicking is just so rare to find. Plus there's a lot of development left in McCluggage. Think he just gets the nod.

Pick 2: GWS - Andy McGrath - rare speed and endurance athlete, like Scully++ with inside and outside game as well. GWS love hard runners, and he's a smart self reliant kid as well. No brainer for GWS. I think he'll start with a bit of time at half forward as a pressure player, maybe play some wing to cover Whitfield and in time move to half back and then the midfield.

Pick 3: Bris - Ben Ainsworth - he wants them, they want him. Brilliant burst player who can take it to the midfield. I was at Melbourne training where he took on and beat about 5 players in a handball drill before eventually getting caught. The Dees assistant told him he could f off if he wanted to play like a hero. But geez I loved it and the talent leaps off the screen.

Pick 4: GC - Tim Taranto - another goal kicking midfielder with strong inside game as well as forward ability. Versatile. Strong. Just a quality young player.

Pick 5: GWS (post Carl bid) - Will Setterfield - tall mid who does have the occasional Bont like glide and reach to his game. Versatile. Difficult to match up on.

Pick 6: Carlton - Will Hayward - bit of a shock here but I don't think it's a reach. He's got star factor with overhead marking, ability to find the goals and is a very good athlete. Willing tackler and can bomb goals from outside 50. SPS hard to pass over but I think they will.

Pick 7: GC (post Freo bid) - Jack Bowes - was in number 1 contention for a while and he's great value here, super skilled and classy.

Pick 8: Freo - Sam Petrevski-Seton - dual sided class. WA boy. Superb understanding of how to deliver the ball by hand and foot to team mates advantage. Freo would be over the moon if he made it to them.

Pick 9: GC - Griffin Logue - think he fills a need as well as best available. Can play immediately as the third tall to give GC some extra physicality down back and in time grow in to a more expansive role. His athleticism and attack on the ball really suits where AFL footy is going and GC have skilled players around him to distribute the ball to.

Pick 10: Syd - Jy Simpkin - unusual (pre academy) for Sydney to have a pick this high but I think they won't be afraid of going high risk/high reward. Simpkin has the class forward and midfield to complement other Swans players and the Swans will get him right. Private school kid as well which the Swans have favoured previously.

Pick 11: GC - Tim English - wouldn't surprise me if he fell further but I think GC can justify the luxury of an early big man pick up and he's worth it. The ruck who can play a bit like an extra mid is a valuable weapon. Peter Wright hasn't committed long term to the Suns either so they might need a big fella sooner than expected.

Pick 12: GWS (post North bid) - Harry Perryman - a 2.0 Steele Sidebottom. Kicks beautifully on both sides. Not overly quick but smart enough to play inside or out. Balanced, calm. Just a beauty.

Pick 13: North - Jack Scrimshaw - North get to choose between the sliders here and I think they'll go the more high risk option in order to get a bit more star power around some of their solid younger players.

Pick 14: WCE - Will Brodie - The Eagles would be pumped with this. big body midfielder with great hands around the clearance. Doesn't do enough forward or with his disposal to go top 10 but the Eagles would be a great fit to train him up under Mitchell and Priddis before he takes over from them.

Pick 15: Adel - Jordan Galluci - quick burst mid with versatility to play anywhere which helps him break in to a strong Crows line up.

Pick 16: Port - Alex Witherden - Port back their fitness staff to get this classy ball user right.

Pick 17: Bris - Jarrod Berry - think he'll make a midfielder more than others say and his leadership and commitment will be too hard for Brisbane to pass, especially with more picks coming shortly

Pick 18: Port - Josh Battle - elite endurance for his size is the trait that makes him a first round pick. Does enough of everything else to be a worth pick as a hard working 3rd tall at AFL level with good goal sense.

Pick 19: WB - Oliver Florent - A respected desire to not leave Victoria sees him drop down a bit. Classy, silky skills, athletic talent. Great kid.

Pick 20: Syd - Luke Ryan - intercept marker, kicker, athlete. This isn't Dean Towers, this is a quality mature recruit who's really just older than a kid at 20 and has a heap of improvement left.

i certainly fit the "non expert" criteria so i'll have a go, no explanations though as i would just be regurgitating what BF PDs have said. this is how i think it will go, not an order of how i rate the players.

1. essendon- Andrew McGrath
2. gws- Ben Ainsworth
3. brisbane- Hugh McCluggage
4. gold coast- Tim Taranto
5. gws- Will Setterfield (carlton bid)
6. gold coast- Jack Bowes (carlton bid)
7. carlton- Sam Petrevski-Seton
8. fremantle- Will Brodie
9. gold coast- Jack Scrimshaw
10. sydney- Griffin Logue
11. gold coast- Jy Simpkin
12. gws- Harry Perryman (nth.melbourne bid)
13. nth. melbourne- Oliver Florent
14. west coast- Sam Powell-Pepper
15. adelaide- Jordan Gallucci
16. port adelaide- Will Hayward
17. brisbane- Jarrod Berry
18. port adelaide- Daniel Venables
19. western bulldogs- Alex Witherden
20. (PP) sydney- Shai Bolton

I don't see why Freo would pass up English. Sew up a very good quality ruckman for the next 15 years. Been compared to Cox. Sandi is almost ded. A mid would be nice but I would English seems too perfect for them right now.

I don't see why Freo would pass up English. Sew up a very good quality ruckman for the next 15 years. Been compared to Cox. Sandi is almost ded. A mid would be nice but I would English seems too perfect for them right now.
The record for first round draft pick rucks is pretty underwhelming. Nic Nat's great when not injured, but Fraser, Kruezer, Longer, Leuenberger isn't so exciting. If there was a top line talented mid or key position player available I wouldn't pass on them for a ruck unless the ruck looks a special talent.

The record for first round draft pick rucks is pretty underwhelming. Nic Nat's great when not injured, but Fraser, Kruezer, Longer, Leuenberger isn't so exciting. If there was a top line talented mid or key position player available I wouldn't pass on them for a ruck unless the ruck looks a special talent.

Pretty sure English looks a special talent

Pretty sure English looks a special talent
His kicking is special and his mobility is very good, I'm just not convinced he's the full package. Mainly the reason I'd stay away from him with a top 5 pick is he's 90kg and playing against guys a similar size when AFL rucking is guys who are 110kg. First you have to wait 4 years + to get him up to that size, then you have to see if his body copes with the injuries that most rucks have and then you'll find out if his competitiveness and physicality stacks up. I just think the odds favour him having a career similar to Kreuzer, Fraser or Leuenberger than Dean Cox's career.

dead set against drafting rucks in the first round unless they are a once in a generation player, and it is probably too hard to tell as most of them do not reach their peak until 24-26 years of age.

would much prefer to trade in rucks or late draft/rookie, let other clubs take the risk.

If you are drafting a young ruckman interstate, then being hesitant is understandable because you run the risk of developing them and seeing them go elsewhere without getting any output from them.

But in this case of English staying home at a WA club, then i wouldn't be put off. Freo should be getting a gun ruckman for life in all probability. And being 19 and Sandi having 1 or 2 years to go, it is perfect timing for both Freo and English.

is he a very good quality ruckman though? There are just about no other top 50 pick ruckmen in the draft and even against that field his ruck work isn't amazing. Also his contested marking is not up to scratch, everything else is good (for someone his size)

i'll give it a go

1. essendon / mccluggage
2. gws / mcgrath
3. brisbane / ainsworth
4. gold coast / tarranto
5. gws / setterfield (matched bid)
6. carlton / petrevski-seton
7. gold coast / brodie
8. gold coast / bowes (matched bid)
9. freo / english
10. sydney / scrimshaw
11. gold coast / logue