News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

This is actually similar to something discussed in the video I linked.

If you get coughed on by someone and get sick that night, you're probably going to think "ah that person coughed on me today, I bet it was them", but in reality it was caused by someone coughing on you two weeks ago and it's only now that it's developed into making you sick. You just don't remember that incident because it was ages ago and nothing happened immediately, so there was no reason to make note of it.
Haven't had a chance to watch it but yeah, people are good at putting two and two together and coming out with eleventy. Good at finding patterns in randomness.

A trait that probably saved more than a few lives when eating a poisonous plant a few hundred thousand years ago, getting sick and deciding not to do it again. Humans have more in common with Pavlov's dogs than we'd like to admit.

Less helpful now that we're dealing with delayed effects though.

People who are hesitant for reasons like what Pweter enunciated above or who don’t love mandates aren’t idiots.

People who actually seriously tout conspiratorial level garbage about the vaccines are definitely idiots and no, time should not be wasted giving their views any air or currency.

The batshit crazy ones are so few though, they mainly hide and push vaccine hesitant people to speak up.

I think what this whole debacle of a pandemic has shown is a really good insight into society across so many levels.

- people are largely uneducated on health. Nice place to start with pushing this education in schools and general life. Bring that general knowledge up.

-media shitstorms have consequences. Poor reporting, or just daily news cycle warps reality and results in a perfectly reasonable vaccine being largely unwanted by vast majority of people. Maybe some responsibility lay at "media" feet.

- pandemics highlight class gaps in our society. All well and good white collar office workers crowing just stay home when poorer people are unable to work from home. Not enough financial support? Of course some wouldn't heed due to not wanting to listen anyway but others generally felt they couldn't not work.

- the government, or trust in authority is low, and probably only getting lower.
If the message being delivered from the start on the how, the why, the what was from respected figures and people of knowledge then maybe we wouldn't have the whole vaccine mandate response. As has been said, people many aren't against vaccines, but you tell them they have to get one they have a cause to fight for. Count my mother as one of these people who I have finally gotten through too and she has been vaccinated.
Lessons for future on how governments and officials act and how much trust they actually have from the people.

The batshit crazy ones are so few though, they mainly hide and push vaccine hesitant people to speak up.

I think what this whole debacle of a pandemic has shown is a really good insight into society across so many levels.

- people are largely uneducated on health. Nice place to start with pushing this education in schools and general life. Bring that general knowledge up.

-media shitstorms have consequences. Poor reporting, or just daily news cycle warps reality and results in a perfectly reasonable vaccine being largely unwanted by vast majority of people. Maybe some responsibility lay at "media" feet.

- pandemics highlight class gaps in our society. All well and good white collar office workers crowing just stay home when poorer people are unable to work from home. Not enough financial support? Of course some wouldn't heed due to not wanting to listen anyway but others generally felt they couldn't not work.

- the government, or trust in authority is low, and probably only getting lower.
If the message being delivered from the start on the how, the why, the what was from respected figures and people of knowledge then maybe we wouldn't have the whole vaccine mandate response. As has been said, people many aren't against vaccines, but you tell them they have to get one they have a cause to fight for. Count my mother as one of these people who I have finally gotten through too and she has been vaccinated.
Lessons for future on how governments and officials act and how much trust they actually have from the people.
Don’t get me started on the media regarding their culpability in torpedoing Astra Zeneca.

Still reckon VIC and NSW will be getting 90 - 95% 16+ by end of Nov
The social pressure alone will push all but the most ardent antivaxxer across the line, I think.
I'm not a fan of the way the mandate has been implemented in VIC, but it'll be effective. Hit them financially and immediately for their decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pick my battles. She's had an awakening (I think realising so many freedoms will be lost if she doesn't get vaccinated) which is victory enough.

The secret to a long and happy marriage.....

Still reckon VIC and NSW will be getting 90 - 95% 16+ by end of Nov
The social pressure alone will push all but the most ardent antivaxxer across the line, I think.
I'm not a fan of the way the mandate has been implemented in VIC, but it'll be effective. Hit them financially and immediately for their decisions.
Controversial view I know, but I don't think it was necessary given that we were not far off 90 % first dose uptake the day it came into effect.

what is his point? the vaccine was rushed but the cure was delayed? he’s a
******* idiot. just because you read a dictionary and learnt some big words doesn’t make you clever. he references sub stack? that was dumb.

Controversial view I know, but I don't think it was necessary given that we were not far off 90 % first dose uptake the day it came into effect.
When it was announced on the 1st of October we were at 80% first dose. It may have helped push us to our current number. Guess we can't be certain.

In the office I work in of 10, two people were adamant over the last few months they would not get the vaccine. They both got their first dose last week to be able to continue to work this week. Would they have got vaccinated without the mandate, I doubt it.

Same in my office, two of the most vocal relented as the industry required them. They would 100% not grab it if they didnt have the mandate.

Tom McDonald saying some interesting stuff tonight on the news, comparing the jab to a forced medical procedure. golly gosh.

Same in my office, two of the most vocal relented as the industry required them. They would 100% not grab it if they didnt have the mandate.

Tom McDonald saying some interesting stuff tonight on the news, comparing the jab to a forced medical procedure. golly gosh.
One wonders how many other medical procedures he has no choice about if he wants to continue working… and why this is the hill he wants to die on given he himself is vaccinated 🤔

When it was announced on the 1st of October we were at 80% first dose. It may have helped push us to our current number. Guess we can't be certain.

In the office I work in of 10, two people were adamant over the last few months they would not get the vaccine. They both got their first dose last week to be able to continue to work this week. Would they have got vaccinated without the mandate, I doubt it.
Don’t disagree but 80% was the original target for reopening.

what is his point? the vaccine was rushed but the cure was delayed? he’s a
******* idiot. just because you read a dictionary and learnt some big words doesn’t make you clever. he references sub stack? that was dumb.

Hadn't heard of this 'pill' before so was just wondering wtf was going on.

For someone who has had the privilege of being able to work through the pandemic on pretty good wages to say that it comes across as an incredibly tone deaf statement. No one is being forced to take the vaccine. It's your choice if you want to keep playing football after all.

I’m pretty sure vaccine mandates are currently tied to worker permits under CHO guidelines aren’t they?

Once the worker permits are gone probably vax mandates go with them, unless they make permanent legislation about it.

In the case of an AFL player, worker permits are probably gone before the next season starts.

The AFL mandating it would be more about covering players outside of Victoria who aren’t mandated by the Victorian government, although I’m not sure if that would be legally enforceable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back