News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

I’m pretty sure vaccine mandates are currently tied to worker permits under CHO guidelines aren’t they?

Once the worker permits are gone probably vax mandates go with them, unless they make permanent legislation about it.

In the case of an AFL player, worker permits are probably gone before the next season starts.

The AFL mandating it would be more about covering players outside of Victoria who aren’t mandated by the Victorian government, although I’m not sure if that would be legally enforceable?

Don't think it has anything to do with the permits, the Public Health Order itself outlines industries it applies to, and that workers in those industries cannot be provided work outside of their usual place of residence without providing evidence to their employer of their vaccination status.

I’m pretty sure vaccine mandates are currently tied to worker permits under CHO guidelines aren’t they?

Once the worker permits are gone probably vax mandates go with them, unless they make permanent legislation about it.

In the case of an AFL player, worker permits are probably gone before the next season starts.

The AFL mandating it would be more about covering players outside of Victoria who aren’t mandated by the Victorian government, although I’m not sure if that would be legally enforceable?
I know of companies making vaccinations a condition of employment nationwide.

I'd wager it's legally enforceable.

In whatever form government mandates are enacted under the Public Health & Wellbeing Act and so need to be defensible as a proportionate response to a threat to public health.

The challenge for sports leagues is airlines mandating vaccination for travel.

I know of companies making vaccinations a condition of employment nationwide.
I imagine there's a substantive legal difference between a company requiring x for employment (presumably under the WHS Act) and the state requiring that all companies require x (under the PHW Act). I would tag our resident lawyer for his perspective, but, you know.

Last edited:

In whatever form government mandates are enacted under the Public Health & Wellbeing Act and so need to be defensible as a proportionate response to a threat to public health.
Which at 90% double vaxxed it may not be, I suppose?

The challenge for sports leagues is airlines mandating vaccination for travel.
haha. Well that would make it interesting. At the moment it doesn't seem like airlines are overly interested in checking border passes before people get on planes so I'm not sure whether they'll be overly interested in vaccine certificates (unless 100% vaccinated plane means every seat sold).

Which at 90% double vaxxed it may not be, I suppose?

haha. Well that would make it interesting. At the moment it doesn't seem like airlines are overly interested in checking border passes before people get on planes so I'm not sure whether they'll be overly interested in vaccine certificates (unless 100% vaccinated plane means every seat sold).

Don't be surprised if airlines require proof of vaccination over a certain age, they've been working on a unified vaccine passport app across the industry.

They're very risk averse.

Why not? Vaccination status isn't a protected criteria under the discrimination rules.

We have just had our booking at the Burvale on Saturday cancelled because the pub cannot get enough vaccinated staff to open.
Go to the better Vale. Malvernvale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure everywhere is better than the Burvale but just further away.
Yeah, the Burvale is pretty terrible.

We have just had our booking at the Burvale on Saturday cancelled because the pub cannot get enough vaccinated staff to open.
Surprised they admitted that to a customer. Brave.

Surprised they admitted that to a customer. Brave.

The Burvale may not be the only one. Apparently there was some confusion around vaccine requirements and the understanding was that staff would only need one dose prior to opening. They in fact need to be fully vaxxed.

Is contact tracing and hotspots still a thing over there or is it all just a free for all?

Seems to the outsider it's all just about getting the the vaccination mark now.

Is contact tracing and hotspots still a thing over there or is it all just a free for all?

They haven't officially given up but there were about a thousand public exposure sites a month or two ago. Now there's only 106 public exposure sites listed, and the case numbers are still going up...

The Burvale may not be the only one. Apparently there was some confusion around vaccine requirements and the understanding was that staff would only need one dose prior to opening. They in fact need to be fully vaxxed.
Well thankfully it won't take to long to open

They seem to only be reporting (and doing the legwork to be able to report) Tier 1 sites now. But yeah, cat definitely out of the bag.

They seem to only be reporting (and doing the legwork to be able to report) Tier 1 sites now. But yeah, cat definitely out of the bag.
Not sure if it’s changed now but for a while there most of the exposure sites being listed that weren’t hospitals, schools and child care centres were in regional areas.

Seems they were putting more legwork into covid zero outside of Melbourne once it got away from them here (which makes sense given they wouldn’t have a whole lot of ICU beds in the middle of nowhere).

Not sure if it’s changed now but for a while there most of the exposure sites being listed that weren’t hospitals, schools and child care centres were in regional areas.

Seems they were putting more legwork into covid zero outside of Melbourne once it got away from them here (which makes sense given they wouldn’t have a whole lot of ICU beds in the middle of nowhere).
:p Is that because in Melbourne you didn't have anywhere to go?

I know someone who does a fair bit of work in catholic schools and they have had 25 covid cleans in the last two weeks.

Along with the tracing, I’m wondering how long this can be sustained too.

They aren't even listing most Tier 1 sites anymore. We had about 1000 exposure sites with less than 100 active cases. Now we have well over 20,000 active cases, it is an impossible task to list even Tier 1 sites at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back