Non-Footy Grounds

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't know if there's already a similar thread, but I thought this could be a good foil.

With footy season over and uni break coming up for me personally, I thought I might try and rack up a list of interesting grounds (especially in Victoria). I'm talking about soccer, rugby, athletics arenas that might still or might used to have been used. I'm sure there are plenty of decent little gems hiding in the suburbs.

I'm more interested in soccer grounds but anything old and classic would be cool. I know the old Showgrounds had some vintage old stands that are now not even rubble. Stuff along those lines would be appreciated. So do you know any? Have you seen some or used to religiously attend one?

I'll upload a few photos when I make the trek out. Willing to travel a little around Victoria as I haven't really even been to places like Bendigo and Ballarat, so it could be an interesting daytrip for a poindexter like me.

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know if there's already a similar thread, but I thought this could be a good foil.

With footy season over and uni break coming up for me personally, I thought I might try and rack up a list of interesting grounds (especially in Victoria). I'm talking about soccer, rugby, athletics arenas that might still or might used to have been used. I'm sure there are plenty of decent little gems hiding in the suburbs.

I'm more interested in soccer grounds but anything old and classic would be cool. I know the old Showgrounds had some vintage old stands that are now not even rubble. Stuff along those lines would be appreciated. So do you know any? Have you seen some or used to religiously attend one?

I'll upload a few photos when I make the trek out. Willing to travel a little around Victoria as I haven't really even been to places like Bendigo and Ballarat, so it could be an interesting daytrip for a poindexter like me.

I'm planning on checking out some of the old NSL grounds, in particular those in the northern suburbs. I've always wanted to go to Knights Stadium, Epping Stadium and the Olympic Village in Heidelberg. You could probably do those in one day if you planned it right and may be able to fit in Preston Lions and Sunshine George Cross as well.

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I had a good look around Moonee Valley racecourse. It was worth the visit and I guess I will try Flemington or Caulfield on another day. It was easy to get to and accessible by Tram or Bus and is about 500 metres away from Moonee Ponds Station. It was quite busy around there as they were taking deliveries and erecting marquees ahead of the Cox Plate. Unfortunately all of the entry ways were manned by bouncers, so I couldn't get near the stand to take some better pictures. I may turn up one day to 'watch' the races and have a good look at the stands up close.

The Two Grandstands that stretch across the main straight have a great looking exterior facade and scenic courtyards located at the front and rear of the stands. I couldn't get great pictures of the stands as the boundary of the course is made up of either brick walls or grass hedges (the hedges had died off in patches).

CAM01580_zpsucsedxt9.jpg

CAM01583_zpsgmswl1fi.jpg

CAM01584_zpshgfflf1f.jpg

CAM01582_zpskvifxic9.jpg

CAM01585_zps6pttcehc.jpg

CAM01586_zps22iegbzv.jpg

CAM01588_zpsosdycrts.jpg

CAM01589_zpsyhox7yup.jpg

CAM01590_zpsggajjgag.jpg

CAM01581_zps4jsgqo68.jpg

The Horse gate

CAM01592_zpspsz7cpub.jpg

CAM01595_zps7gsniyna.jpg

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Moonee Valley is easily the best racecourse in the Southern Hemisphere (imo). Everything is in such close proximity, whilst architecturally it features an ideal mix of old and the new. Night race meets are an absolute treat, and totally worth trekking out Essendon way for.

Obviously a lot of trainers/owners/jockeys have problems with the awfully short straight (173m in comparison to Flemington's 450m). The club has plans in place to rectify this however, with a new track w/ a 315m straight due to be opened in time for the 2020 Cox Plate.

Loved the flicks Teague.

Chicken Parma

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2011
Leongatha
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Jaguars, Renegades
Seen this on cracked.

480086_v1.jpg

I recall reading somewhere that that stadium was demolished recently.

A sad sign of the rapaciousness of USA sport.

You think that's bad?
The Atlanta Falcons are scheduled to move into a new stadium in 2017... when they moved into their current one (the Georgia Dome) in 1992!
And people think we got rid of Waverley too quickly...

You think that's bad?
The Atlanta Falcons are scheduled to move into a new stadium in 2017... when they moved into their current one (the Georgia Dome) in 1992!
And people think we got rid of Waverley too quickly...
Look more into Atlanta for both the Falcons and Braves! 25-30 years in their first stadium, 20-25 in their 2nd, then onto their 3rd

Atlanta Falcons (NFL)
Atlanta-Foulton Stadium 1966-92
Georgia Dome 1992-2016
Mercedes Stadium 2017-future

Atlanta Braves (MLB)
Atlanta-Foulton Stadium 1966-96
Turner Field 1997-16
SunTrust park 2017-future

Now im curious about what the Hawks went through
Hank McCamish Pavilion 1968-72 (temporary using other arena while theres being built)
Omni Coliseum 1972-97
Hnak McCamish Pavilion 1997-99 (temporary after Omni demolished, and before Philips built)
Philips Arena 1999-present

Seems each team gets a new stadium every 25 years :O

Though, I did just look at a few other teams.
New England Patriots - Got 30 years out of Foxborough before building Gillette
Pittsburgh Steelers - Got 30 years out of 3 rivers stadium before building Heinz
Washington - Got 35 years out of RFK before building FedEx
Philladelphia Eagles - Got 30 years out of Veterens Field before building Lincoln Financial

So American Stadiums do get about 25-35 years lifespan out of stadiums.

With the exception of Fenway Park and Wrigley Field, just about all stadiums either get replaced, rebuilt (Yankee Stadium, Soldier Field) or heavly renovated (Louisiana SuperDome, Lambeau Field, Pro Life Stadium) consistently.

Cities do this to lure big events like the SuperBowl, NCAA Final 4, College Football Playoff etc. WHen you give opportunities to other cities to win these major events, the cities do what they can to get them. Dallas - New Stadium, SUper BowlNew York - New Stadium, Super bowl, Minnesota - New Stadium, Super bowl, Atlanta - New Stadium, get back to me in a few months, but I'm 99% certain they get the next super bowl on offer. Miami, New Orleans - Regularly upgrade their stadiums, regularly get Super bowls.

I'm almost certain Adelaide and Perth would have upgraded their stadiums 10 years ago if the AFL didn't let the MCG monopolise the Grand Final. Rotating major events is better for sporting facilities country wide. I wonder what tennis facilities this country would have if Melbourne didn't monopolise it. I wonder what (car) racing facilities this country would have if Melbourne didn't monopolise it.

Stadiums bring events, events bring tourists, tourists bring money.
If we did things the American/European way.
Facilities would be better country wide for alot more sports.

The stadium that Detroit one was replaced with, has a smaller capacity and looks worse, wtf?
It's about improving revenue.

I can expand more on it in 1 or 2 hours if you would like.

Well I assume it has something to do with that given this one has sold naming rights.
Naming rights really wouldn't matter much to be honest.

THe price comes down to the visibility. Old Trafford would get more money from naming rights than Emirates Stadium just because the reach of Manchester United is larger than the reach of Arsenal.

It's more so to do with the corporate factor.

For example.
A 2015 MCG getting 100k through the gates would get more money than say a 1970s MCG in the modern world, getting 120k packed in.

It's the corporate side of things. Lets just use Arsenal as an example as I know that from first hand experience.
Normal ticket - 50quid, corporate - 600quid.

Lets just say 1970s MCG is just 120k general admin (in reality less when taking MCC members into account for gameday) at $50 a head, you're only looking at $6M
Yet say we had a 2015 MCG sold out, 95k general admin, 5k corporate. You do lose 35k general admin, but that 5k corporate would make up for it that you'd get $7.75M

Then there's also the point of hitting that right point of supply/demand. Go too big, people pass up tickets and go match by match (ala, Victorians) which hurts club stability. Go too small people hang onto their tickets fearfull of losing them (ala, Western Australians) which hurts rejuvinating fans and bringing new ones in.

Too low, you hurt yourself long term, go too high you hurt yourself short term.
60-70k seems that right number as shown in new English/American football stadiums. And that seems to be what Perth's going for.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Right, so opening new stadiums every 25 years is smart?

Doesn't that mean Etihad should be bulldozed or abandoned in about 14 then? Although that stadium will need pretty obvious changes in that time, there's no way you'll get rid of that thing any time soon. Wasn't the Great Southern Stand at the 'G built in 1989? I've sat there for a Grand Final and that was far more than suitable.

All you'll end up doing is creating white elephants and a culture of one-upping other cities. Where does it end? Dumb councils and politicians will see the revenue through tourism as somehow worth a new $900 million arena...

There's a reason the US economy and money culture is ****ed – and it's s**t like this.

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I had a good look around Moonee Valley racecourse. It was worth the visit and I guess I will try Flemington or Caulfield on another day. It was easy to get to and accessible by Tram or Bus and is about 500 metres away from Moonee Ponds Station. It was quite busy around there as they were taking deliveries and erecting marquees ahead of the Cox Plate. Unfortunately all of the entry ways were manned by bouncers, so I couldn't get near the stand to take some better pictures. I may turn up one day to 'watch' the races and have a good look at the stands up close.

The Two Grandstands that stretch across the main straight have a great looking exterior facade and scenic courtyards located at the front and rear of the stands. I couldn't get great pictures of the stands as the boundary of the course is made up of either brick walls or grass hedges (the hedges had died off in patches).

CAM01580_zpsucsedxt9.jpg

CAM01583_zpsgmswl1fi.jpg

CAM01584_zpshgfflf1f.jpg

CAM01582_zpskvifxic9.jpg

CAM01585_zps6pttcehc.jpg

CAM01586_zps22iegbzv.jpg

CAM01588_zpsosdycrts.jpg

CAM01589_zpsyhox7yup.jpg

CAM01590_zpsggajjgag.jpg

CAM01581_zps4jsgqo68.jpg

The Horse gate

CAM01592_zpspsz7cpub.jpg

CAM01595_zps7gsniyna.jpg

Live pretty much across the road. Great little racecourse.

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers

Doesn't that mean Etihad should be bulldozed or abandoned in about 14 then? Although that stadium will need pretty obvious changes in that time, there's no way you'll get rid of that thing any time soon. Wasn't the Great Southern Stand at the 'G built in 1989? I've sat there for a Grand Final and that was far more than suitable.

All you'll end up doing is creating white elephants and a culture of one-upping other cities. Where does it end? Dumb councils and politicians will see the revenue through tourism as somehow worth a new $900 million arena...

There's a reason the US economy and money culture is stuffed – and it's s**t like this.

The Great Southern Stand is nearly outdated. Won't be surprised if major renovations happen within 10 years.

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
SFA Good Friday Appeal Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
It would be nice if the mcg ever needed upgrading like the great southern stand one day the Grand final went to Perth stadium. Having a grand final going on whilst renovations are happening is just ridiculous. It has been a big eye sore for the mcg grand finals in the recent past.

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
It would be nice if the mcg ever needed upgrading like the great southern stand one day the Grand final went to Perth stadium. Having a grand final going on whilst renovations are happening is just ridiculous. It has been a big eye sore for the mcg grand finals in the recent past.

Agreed. Only acceptable time to have it elsewhere though

Jul 14, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pats|Liverpool|Bayern|AFC Wimbledon
Given that the GSS is the side that the camera's face it would be much worse than the 2003-2005 Grand Finals played at an incomplete MCG. Holding it in Perth (or Adelaide) would be a logical thing to do when they do end up building the next Southern Stand, however since they did some upgrades (like replace some seats) a year or so ago I doubt it would be anytime soon.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The Great Southern Stand is nearly outdated. Won't be surprised if major renovations happen within 10 years.
Well people in Sydney want anz and allianz stadium s demolished as they claim they are out dated and new ones built. Allianz was built around the time of the southern stand

Bomber Bears

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2005
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
North Sydney, Liverpool, NSW
Naming rights really wouldn't matter much to be honest.

THe price comes down to the visibility. Old Trafford would get more money from naming rights than Emirates Stadium just because the reach of Manchester United is larger than the reach of Arsenal.
On the other hand I've heard a reasonable argument that a new stadium known as Emirates from the day dot will be referred to by everyone as Emirates, which is pretty good value for the company sponsoring. Old Trafford, regardless of sponsorship, would still be known as Old Trafford by most people, and from that point of view wouldn't get near the value (to the company) from naming rights as others might.

On Docklands, didn't Robert Doyle want it demolished because it stunted growth in the area? But in reality with all the high rise development around the stadium it's almost a case of looking for it amongst the gum trees.

The old Southern Stand was properly demolished following the 1990 GF (the roof of the stand having been removed before the game) and construction was complete in time for a few ODI's in season 1991/92 with the official opening at the final of the 1992 Cricket World Cup.

Well people in Sydney want anz and allianz stadium s demolished as they claim they are out dated and new ones built. Allianz was built around the time of the southern stand

It was actually opened in 1988, construction having started with the demolition of the old Sydney Sports Ground in mid 1986, and renovated a few times after that (initial capacity was 40000, some seats were added in subsequent years to take it to about 42K). The biggest problem is that like The Rec at Swan Street, The Gabba and Robina, the singular roof around the stadium doesn't really give a lot of scope for renovating unless it's a full demolition.

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Look more into Atlanta for both the Falcons and Braves! 25-30 years in their first stadium, 20-25 in their 2nd, then onto their 3rd

Atlanta Falcons (NFL)
Atlanta-Foulton Stadium 1966-92
Georgia Dome 1992-2016
Mercedes Stadium 2017-future

Atlanta Braves (MLB)
Atlanta-Foulton Stadium 1966-96
Turner Field 1997-16
SunTrust park 2017-future

Now im curious about what the Hawks went through
Hank McCamish Pavilion 1968-72 (temporary using other arena while theres being built)
Omni Coliseum 1972-97
Hnak McCamish Pavilion 1997-99 (temporary after Omni demolished, and before Philips built)
Philips Arena 1999-present

Seems each team gets a new stadium every 25 years :O

Though, I did just look at a few other teams.
New England Patriots - Got 30 years out of Foxborough before building Gillette
Pittsburgh Steelers - Got 30 years out of 3 rivers stadium before building Heinz
Washington - Got 35 years out of RFK before building FedEx
Philladelphia Eagles - Got 30 years out of Veterens Field before building Lincoln Financial

So American Stadiums do get about 25-35 years lifespan out of stadiums.

With the exception of Fenway Park and Wrigley Field, just about all stadiums either get replaced, rebuilt (Yankee Stadium, Soldier Field) or heavly renovated (Louisiana SuperDome, Lambeau Field, Pro Life Stadium) consistently.

Cities do this to lure big events like the SuperBowl, NCAA Final 4, College Football Playoff etc. WHen you give opportunities to other cities to win these major events, the cities do what they can to get them. Dallas - New Stadium, SUper BowlNew York - New Stadium, Super bowl, Minnesota - New Stadium, Super bowl, Atlanta - New Stadium, get back to me in a few months, but I'm 99% certain they get the next super bowl on offer. Miami, New Orleans - Regularly upgrade their stadiums, regularly get Super bowls.

I'm almost certain Adelaide and Perth would have upgraded their stadiums 10 years ago if the AFL didn't let the MCG monopolise the Grand Final. Rotating major events is better for sporting facilities country wide. I wonder what tennis facilities this country would have if Melbourne didn't monopolise it. I wonder what (car) racing facilities this country would have if Melbourne didn't monopolise it.

Stadiums bring events, events bring tourists, tourists bring money.
If we did things the American/European way.
Facilities would be better country wide for alot more sports.

The Australian Open was originally rotated year by year before Melbourne monopolised it because the crowds elsewhere were not adequate enough. It's hard to imagine the facilities in Adelaide or Sydney being like Melbourne Park because the crowds were never there to warrant an upgrade.

Croweater

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2013
Somewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC, Arsenal FC,
The Australian Open was originally rotated year by year before Melbourne monopolised it because the crowds elsewhere were not adequate enough. It's hard to imagine the facilities in Adelaide or Sydney being like Melbourne Park because the crowds were never there to warrant an upgrade.

That was when we had a slab of concrete in West Lakes, which was a nightmare to travel to. Not to mention it was a poor experience.

Adelaide Oval proves that if you build it in the right spot, and do a good job of it, people will come. I mean, we got nearly 50,000 to a Strikers vs Hurricanes game on a Wednesday. If you built a 70,000 seat stadium here, we'd be able to fill it probably 7 out of 10 times for sports we actually give a s**t about. Sydney? The NRL Grand Final, State of Origin and the Bledisloe Cup would be about it. And that's with nearly four times the population.

If we built a new arena next to the Oval, we'd get good crowds there too. Not to mention building a permanent race track at Victoria Park to bring back the F1 to its rightful owners. :thumbsu:

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
That was when we had a slab of concrete in West Lakes, which was a nightmare to travel to. Not to mention it was a poor experience.

Adelaide Oval proves that if you build it in the right spot, and do a good job of it, people will come. I mean, we got nearly 50,000 to a Strikers vs Hurricanes game on a Wednesday. If you built a 70,000 seat stadium here, we'd be able to fill it probably 7 out of 10 times for sports we actually give a s**t about. Sydney? The NRL Grand Final, State of Origin and the Bledisloe Cup would be about it. And that's with nearly four times the population.

If we built a new arena next to the Oval, we'd get good crowds there too. Not to mention building a permanent race track at Victoria Park to bring back the F1 to its rightful owners. :thumbsu:

Without a doubt, Adelaide could be another option to Melbourne in a lot of sports. The population could be an issue with the Australian Open because of the prices and the length of the event. Adelaide can draw a footy or cricket crowd but a tennis tournament is another beast entirely.

Back