Oppo Camp Non-Fremantle general AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Heath Shaw looks to be going to GWS in a trade for Taylor Adams. Looks like a win-win but it'll be interesting to see if Heath can keep his nose clean during his purported $700K per five year contract.

Heath Shaw looks to be going to GWS in a trade for Taylor Adams. Looks like a win-win but it'll be interesting to see if Heath can keep his nose clean during his purported $700K per five year contract.

Don't know why they'd lock him in for 5 years, and at that salary??
Haven't heard too many clubs lining up for his services...

He's going to get super frustrated with some of those young fellas, we will see fireworks in the GWS defence next year!!!!

He'll just carry a copy of his bank statement in his pocket, any time he's going to lose it he can look at it and laugh at how much they're paying him to run around and do SFA - that should help him relax.

what are the boards thoughts on the Hawks topping up again?

Pretty interesting - they are definitely going for one last roll of the dice. Their midfield is getting pretty old, they just lost Buddy, there would have been a temptation to go into a full rebuild.

Don't know why they'd lock him in for 5 years, and at that salary??
Haven't heard too many clubs lining up for his services...
I think Sydney, Carlton and one of the Adelaide sides were interested. Those massive contracts are extreme but I think it's something that we'll have to consider ourselves to lure the big players over if we run out of homesick sandgropers.

GWS won't be competitive for 2-3 years, and they are crying out for a couple of good kicks. He should go ok.
yeah probably. he's got serious onfield discipline issues, though, so it'll be interesting to see if GWS can keep him focussed. having his brother nearby will help but then again, the last time they were in the same town, they got up to hijinks and one of them had to change clubs.

GWS are so poorly run.

They'll be worse than the Bears. Not that I remember the Bears.

And it's not because they're in western Sydney. The population and patronisation, along with the token Canberra games, could keep them stable. Their admin is just terrible. Kevin Sheedy is batshit insane. Ablett doesn't grow on (God's) trees, but they never had anyone remotely great from the get go. They have seriously butchered their chance.

Always thought the Suns would prosper and the Giants would fall flat. I'm sticking by that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS will be OK. Short term they are struggling from the lack of experienced quality players. But Mumford's a good get and maybe even Shaw will be good for them. He's overpaid but that won't matter for a few years. Medium and longer term they actually have a better base than the Suns. The Gold Coast is a graveyard for sporting teams (and arguably any serious endeavour). In contrast, Canberra and Sydney's west will be more loyal. People need to see the Canberra crowds in context. From a quality point of view the games have been shite - not a single decent side has played the Giants at Manuka - and yet the crowds are already on a par with those the Raiders get. I also think Cameron is the right man to guide this stage of their development. The club knows that the way to win respect and support is on the field and I think you'll see a visible transition from the Sheedy stuff to Cameron's more serious approach.

what are the boards thoughts on the Hawks topping up again?

Pretty interesting - they are definitely going for one last roll of the dice. Their midfield is getting pretty old, they just lost Buddy, there would have been a temptation to go into a full rebuild.

They just won the flag after finishing top of the table two years running. They are the 18th most likely team to go into a full rebuild.

If GWS can nab a few more of the on-field ilk of Shaw & Mumford - I'll go out on a limb here and say that they should win more games than they did in 2013 at least. :oops:

1 more established premiership player and i'll take a punt and say..... 6 games in 2014.

3 wins tops. Cameron will introduce a game plan but it needs to be a superior plan against established sides.
A smorgasbord of top talent from all over the land doesn't equate to a strong team.

The AFL must be concerned at the direction they have taken in their list build.

They'll be worse than the Bears. Not that I remember the Bears.

And it's not because they're in western Sydney. The population and patronisation, along with the token Canberra games, could keep them stable. Their admin is just terrible. Kevin Sheedy is batshit insane. Ablett doesn't grow on (God's) trees, but they never had anyone remotely great from the get go. They have seriously butchered their chance.

Always thought the Suns would prosper and the Giants would fall flat. I'm sticking by that.
Geez if you replaced gws with Fremantle in that is sounds a lot like our early history!

Minus the draft concession of course.

GWS will be OK. Short term they are struggling from the lack of experienced quality players. But Mumford's a good get and maybe even Shaw will be good for them. He's overpaid but that won't matter for a few years. Medium and longer term they actually have a better base than the Suns. The Gold Coast is a graveyard for sporting teams (and arguably any serious endeavour). In contrast, Canberra and Sydney's west will be more loyal. People need to see the Canberra crowds in context. From a quality point of view the games have been shite - not a single decent side has played the Giants at Manuka - and yet the crowds are already on a par with those the Raiders get. I also think Cameron is the right man to guide this stage of their development. The club knows that the way to win respect and support is on the field and I think you'll see a visible transition from the Sheedy stuff to Cameron's more serious approach.
I was at the preseason game gws played against essendon this year at Manila and really was surprised by the number of fans dressed in orange. They've marketed themselves in Canberra well.

Geez if you replaced gws with Fremantle in that is sounds a lot like our early history!

Minus the draft concession of course.

At least Freo were a bit pioneering and tried to do something bold. That waterpolo style of player, drawing in players, that wasn't too bad of an idea – the players just didn't have the temperament or skills to pull it off.

GWS are just meeeeeeh.

I think GWSes plan was actually the better of the two, just hasn't been executed aswell.

Ablett, Bock even Brennan were always going to be too old when GC hit their prime (Ablett will still be good but his best years will be lost). GWS went for cheap but very experienced players for really short term, but their main targets were players that will still be there in the right age bracket as the rest.

The added bonus is GWS don't get some extra cheap wins early, so they keep pulling quality picks.

They really messed up with jaeger and Martin though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back