Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2022 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
they didn't beat us twice this year though...
I know
Once was enough and more times than I care to remember the past few years.
It’s like they’ve got a JuJu on us .
Hope we kick their asses .

I was angry about the whole Cripps episode at the time now I’m just sickened.

As much as McLachlan thinks he’s built some fantastic machine that runs on SportsBet dollars , the AFL is in a pretty sorry state right now in my eyes

Cripps should definitely have polled that day, it's debatable whether he should have gotten 3 or 2 but Brayshaw should have definitely had 2 at minimum in that game. He was huge.

Cripps got away with a lot of dodgy s**t that game, watch it again. Now I know why.

Say he got 3 (on the winning team) and Cripps 2, It'd have been a 3-way tie for the medal (Brayshaw, Neale, Cripps) and so now I will forever be infuriated and hate the Carlton cheats even more.

Even if it wasn't them directly, they benefited from it to our detriment. Again.

I agree with you....

I also think Cripps never should have won it in the first place. He should've been suspended for that hit on Ah Chee.

never got the "stave off competition"

when was the last time a coach was poached from one club to the other? oh wait it was Ross over 10 years ago now.

Signing coaches up to long term contracts doesn't make much sense to me.
I dislike the narrative. About it was freos fault to sign Ross Lyon long term. We didnt forsee the horrile collapse at the end of 2015.

But Saying that....

Freo originally signed Ross Lyon for 4 seasons from 2012-15.

We then gave him a 2 year extension after the 2013 grand final until 2017.

We then gave him a 3 year extension until 2020 after the 2015 Prelim final.

We didnt give him an extension because we were garbage, we gave him extensions in 2013 and 2015 because Ross Lyon gave us stability and finals success.

Then we went 0-10 in 2016 and did the rebuild.

Compare that to Justin Longmuir....

Gave him a 3year deal from 2020-22.

We then gave him a 2 year extension until 2024. I was concerned at the time as I would of thought it was premature. Happy I was wrong. Freo then makes finals and wins a final for the 1st time since 2015.

Curious to see the next 2 years under Longmuir

I distinctly recall them getting uncomfortably close before we sealed it and then kicked two or three junk time goals.
They got within 20 points , Switta then kicked a goal, Curnow then kicked one, then we kicked the last 2 plus some behinds.

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA
I do follow the NBA casually.

But if I was a Point guard or Shooting guard and i was standing a 6 foot 1- 6 foot 6, I would be happy averaging 11 points a game and 10 Assists a game.

They really have become the joke of the AFL.

Good luck to them
Well, You already know this, As you have seen bay 13 recently. Our Eagles mate DanWA is Fighting the good fight for west coast in Bay 13.

Danny Boy is constantly bagging out our Coach J-Lo.

Kram I admire the Bad A## attitute of our eagles mates on Bay 13. LOL.

Danny Boy is bragging and clinging on about how eagles beat collingwood and how freo lost to collingwood twice.

Dan is also acting Tough Like Tough Man Tony Abbott because west coast avoided the spoon and finished above the Almight North Melbourne lol

Can someone please tell me just where the AFL can find enough honest people in Australia, to cast votes for the Brownlow medal. Be honest enough to cast them, and then never, ever disclose who they voted for?
I am not saying that all AFL umpires are totally honest, but are they less honest than say a group of journos?
Less honest than a group of lawyers. Or AFL selected people.
The AFL have enough issues going right now to keep Gill with us for another couple of years.;);)

Can someone please tell me just where the AFL can find enough honest people in Australia, to cast votes for the Brownlow medal. Be honest enough to cast them, and then never, ever disclose who they voted for?
I am not saying that all AFL umpires are totally honest, but are they less honest than say a group of journos?
The AFL have enough issues going right now to keep Gill with us for another couple of years.;);)

I'll put my hand up

It's about time Brayshaw wins a brownlow

Spot on anchor man. This notion that the process will be fairer to non-midfielders if taken off the umps is ridiculous. The plethora of current media awards go to the midfielders. So does the player MVP award. Even the coaches award does - and they ended up giving it to 2 midfielders this year!

The umpires should have it taken off them but not to stop corruption. They should have it taken off them because the bulk of them are clueless as to the nature of the game and are being asked to focus on areas that make picking the best players only possible after the event via stat sheets.

If I ran the world (or even just the league) I'd give it to the coaches and just make their voting as it is currently done the Brownlow voting. They know the game plans they were trying to implement, they know who on the other team hurt their plans and who on their team helped their plans the most. They also earn enough that dishing out info on who got what wouldn't be anywhere near worth the rewards. I'd also bet many of them would forget who got votes by the next day anyway as they'd have moved on to other things.

The other idea is to make the voting public after each game and just do away with the round by round read out process which I think is as boring as hell anyway. It takes away the "drama" of the count but you can still have an AFL Awards night for the fashion committed and then present the Brownlow to who won it along with all the other awards they do. The less I see of blowhards like Demetriou and Gil mispronouncing team and player names and their ridiculous pauses when reading out C..........Oliver the better.

That idea won't stop it as corruption will still find its way in that method with someone offering an ump $100k to make sure Cripps gets 3 or something like that if its close in the publicised voting. But if the coaches are doing it then crooks will need to offer a motza more to make it worthwhile and its much less likely any coach would take it anyway I'd bet (Pardon the pun).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is usually the point where many CEO’s stuff their huge bonuses into a suitcase and head off to Majorca or somewhere leaving the mess for someone else to clean up .

This is usually the point where many CEO’s stuff their huge bonuses into a suitcase and head off to Majorca or somewhere leaving the mess for someone else to clean up .
Yes, maybe it is. But love him or hate him, Gill is standing his ground and staying to try to sort things out.

If the umpires independently voted for their top five, like coaches votes, and submitted them into the sealed box after the game then none of the three actually know which order the votes will come out in the 3,2,1 once all the scores are totaled and any ties are broken by the number of 5s or 4s or 3s or however long it takes to run down the dividers - with the senior umpire's votes breaking any ties.

It could well be that the totals come out at 15, 12, 9 for the best three players on the field.

But knowing how one of the three voted won't give you any solid information on which to bet on.

We need to find and start developing Alex Pearce's replacement even more now. Apparently the Tassie team will enter the league in 4-5yrs. Alex is signed for 3. They'd be mad not to target him as a key initial signing and I think he'd be hard pressed to knock them back. By that time he'd go with my best wishes. Inaugural Tassie Tiger Captain and spend the last 3-5 years of his career at home launching it all. I wouldn't begrudge him that one bit.

Although it wouldn't surprise me a great deal if he was the type that said "thanks but I'm a Freo man" either.

Now all we need to do is fold North or merge them with the Eagles or some other crapheap mob to get back to an even number of teams - or accelerate the entry of a Darwin team. I'd prefer we lose North but maybe that's just me. Moving them to Tassie made so much sense which is why it was never going to happen, way too sensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back