Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2022 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you have been an assistant for as long as he was and had been turned down for a ridiculous number of senior coaching jobs, I think that says a lot.
Nothing wrong with being an assistant. His problem is he saw being an assistant as a platform when in reality it's his ceiling.

Doesn’t sound too bad when you compare it to a stupid footbridge that’s supposedly going to cost $100m ?
Isn’t it more to do with where it’s being built conditions wise, and that it can’t have too many touch points with Heirisson Island? Plus I’ve done the bridge to bridge walk plenty of times, and always see lots of people out and about - Perth and WA have money and lots of it, if they’re going to build something at least it’ll be something people will definitely use.

Left with Worpel, brutal.

WTF is he doing on there anyway? They have at least 5 better and or brighter players to stick on the calendar.
Similar attachment to what we had with Palmer - so much potential in year 1 but never living up to it, but the positivity for that player hangs around for a while until hope is eventually lost.

Left with Worpel, brutal.

WTF is he doing on there anyway? They have at least 5 better and or brighter players to stick on the calendar.
He's the classic low ceiling, low risk type of player. He peaked in his first year and hasn't had a better season since.

The definition of a spud.

2nd year but yes agree with the rest. Went backwards fast.

Wonder if Mitchell and JOM leaving will help him.
It seems likely, his best season was when Mitchell was out injured for a year and omeara wasn't there yet (not 100% sure on this, he may have been on limited time recovering from his knee injury), so he was the main man in the centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has there been any update on the Hawthorn racism review? I can’t find anything about it in the AFL app or website.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has there been any update on the Hawthorn racism review? I can’t find anything about it in the AFL app or website.

Probably been swept under the rug.

What do you mean probably? If you expected any other outcome from this corrupt organization then you were mistaken. The families 'refused' to participate in the official AFL investigation.
true?! If so, hardly surprising....probably strong-armed into not saying s**t. Absolutely wretched

I'm often the first to join in the AFL corruption accusations, but thinking the AFL directly pressured these families to not participate is ridiculous conspiracy stuff.
What likely has happened is the families have succumbed to indirect pressure, and been intimidated very quickly by how big this thing has become, possibly out of naivete (one of the women involved has questioned why her allegations need to be tested at all - she thinks everyone should just believe her) possibly out of cultural concerns around white man justice in terms of how investigations get run in our system, or possibly because they're being advised not to participate. Which gets us back to the problem at the start - undoubtedly bullying behaviour by coaches and officials in position of power, interpreted by the coaches as doing whatever it takes to win with no racist overtones (I'm sure their defence will be they were trying to just help the players be the best players they can), and interpereted by the players and their families as culturally unsafe racism singling out Aboriginal people. Both I'm sure honest interpretations of the same events.
If people think the only outcome of this investigation that is acceptable is that Clarkson is sacked, and otherwise it's all a cover up, I think they're going to be sorely disappointed. I think the likely outcome was known a long time ago - promises/pledges to do better, cultural awareness training all round, an ombudsman-like position created for indigenous players to raise concerns around behaviours, ex gratia no fault payments to the victims etc. Hopefully these changes will result in meaningful outcomes and allow more indigenous talent to flourish in the AFL system, I've lost count of the number of talented indigenous players lost to the game because of the bullshit way the clubs treat and control players.

If it ever does happen, the last place I would be reading about it is on the AFL app or website.
The equivalent of reading Pravda back in the USSR times.

I'm often the first to join in the AFL corruption accusations, but thinking the AFL directly pressured these families to not participate is ridiculous conspiracy stuff.
What likely has happened is the families have succumbed to indirect pressure, and been intimidated very quickly by how big this thing has become, possibly out of naivete (one of the women involved has questioned why her allegations need to be tested at all - she thinks everyone should just believe her) possibly out of cultural concerns around white man justice in terms of how investigations get run in our system, or possibly because they're being advised not to participate. Which gets us back to the problem at the start - undoubtedly bullying behaviour by coaches and officials in position of power, interpreted by the coaches as doing whatever it takes to win with no racist overtones (I'm sure their defence will be they were trying to just help the players be the best players they can), and interpereted by the players and their families as culturally unsafe racism singling out Aboriginal people. Both I'm sure honest interpretations of the same events.
If people think the only outcome of this investigation that is acceptable is that Clarkson is sacked, and otherwise it's all a cover up, I think they're going to be sorely disappointed. I think the likely outcome was known a long time ago - promises/pledges to do better, cultural awareness training all round, an ombudsman-like position created for indigenous players to raise concerns around behaviours, ex gratia no fault payments to the victims etc. Hopefully these changes will result in meaningful outcomes and allow more indigenous talent to flourish in the AFL system, I've lost count of the number of talented indigenous players lost to the game because of the bullshit way the clubs treat and control players.
AFL is such a corrupt organization that no one has confidence in them to hold their own accountable. Did you know that after Phil Egan published the findings of his racism review, the police started an investigation into him based on 'anonymous' allegations of financial fraud? It's all just laughable.

Last edited:
The family's worked with ABC because they were promised anonymity. All the AFL had to do was make participation in the investigation conditional on making names public. AFL is such a corrupt organization that no one has confidence in them to hold their own accountable.
Anonymity is a good point, assuming you mean anonymity from their names appearing in any final public i
report. Has that been denied to them? It shouldn't have been if it has.

If you mean anonymity during the investigation process itself so the coaches are meant to respond to accusations without knowing the identity of who's making them, nah, that's a star chamber.

Anonymity is a good point, assuming you mean anonymity from their names appearing in any final public i
report. Has that been denied to them? It shouldn't have been if it has.

If you mean anonymity during the investigation process itself so the coaches are meant to respond to accusations without knowing the identity of who's making them, nah, that's a star chamber.
Sorry I edited my post because I don't know for sure if the families were denied anonymity by the AFL. I do know that the ABC granted them that protection via my mate in the ABC. I think the Egan thing is still pretty compelling.

true?! If so, hardly surprising....probably strong-armed into not saying s**t. Absolutely wretched
This was at the beginning of the investigation so things may have changed. Fingers crossed they do the right thing.

It's been the holiday break.

of course there's been no updates. There likely won't be until the investigation is complete.
The results were due on December 22 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back