theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Just a quick note on that point PT - I sit on a few small Boards and, as has been pointed out by Twomey, there is a massive difference between Unanimous and Fully Endorsed. Essendon didn't misrepresent anything in what they said. I've actually been in Sheedy's position on a senior appointment and been the only voice against an appointment being made. It's not a happy spot but you accept you're one voice on a panel and you move the hell on and support the decision publicly. Its not hard to do even when frustrated. If it was on a matter of principle then you resign and perhaps go public then.

He could easily call Hird privately and say "I voted for you" as that seems to be his main concern. It wouldn't be common but alo not completely out of order for Barham to privately confirm it to Hird for Sheedy if it was that important to him. However, if Sheedy thinks Hird needs this sort of confirmation to believe what Sheedy told him then Sheedy doesn't have the relationship with Hird he thinks he does.

Even without all the other idiocy, there is no clearer sign Sheedy should not continue as a Board member than this hissy fit. He has clearly demonstrated he doesn't have the brains to differentiate between 2 fairly simple concepts or the ability to maintain confidentiality and a united front. Being a dumb loudmouth recalcitrant is as good a reason as any to move him on.
Board decisions should remain confidential.

Not a fan of the idea he'd call Hird or anyone else that would be a breach of confidentiality.

Resignation would need to be because of a serious objection to the Board decision: one he could not support or would be in conflict with. Not simply because his pick didn't get up.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
But they still fell 3 points short of victory.

seinfeld-thats-a-shame.gif

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Just a quick note on that point PT - I sit on a few small Boards and, as has been pointed out by Twomey, there is a massive difference between Unanimous and Fully Endorsed. Essendon didn't misrepresent anything in what they said. I've actually been in Sheedy's position on a senior appointment and been the only voice against an appointment being made. It's not a happy spot but you accept you're one voice on a panel and you move the hell on and support the decision publicly. Its not hard to do even when frustrated. If it was on a matter of principle then you resign and perhaps go public then.

Yeah, I saw Twomey's tweet after the fact.

If the Essendon had said "fully endorsed" then Sheedy doesn't have a leg to stand on. And I never said I thought he went about it in the right way, even if Essendon said "unanimous."

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s incredible that Sheedy is so involved still. Over and over again in sport we have seen this phenomenon whereby a giant of a club or organisation resigns but doesn’t fully let go, still retaining influence. It never ends well. Manchester United with Alex Ferguson is a great example. Ole Gunnar solksjaer wouldnt even park in Fergusons car park space when he was the manager, he revered him so much! United have fallen apart since Ferguson left as manager yet he seems to have a say in every appointment still.
There’s no wide way on earth Sheedy should have been a board member, ever.
Clinging to old glories is a sure way to reduce your chances of creating new ones.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Sheedy did a lot of great things for Essendon but for around the last 20 years it's all just been about himself.

I was rather surprised to hear that he was a board memeber, apart from reunions or whatever the closest he should be to the club in 2022 is sitting in the stands watching with his footy record.

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
It’s incredible that Sheedy is so involved still. Over and over again in sport we have seen this phenomenon whereby a giant of a club or organisation resigns but doesn’t fully let go, still retaining influence. It never ends well. Manchester United with Alex Ferguson is a great example. Ole Gunnar solksjaer wouldnt even park in Fergusons car park space when he was the manager, he revered him so much! United have fallen apart since Ferguson left as manager yet he seems to have a say in every appointment still.
There’s no wide way on earth Sheedy should have been a board member, ever.
Clinging to old glories is a sure way to reduce your chances of creating new ones.

Sheedy did a lot of great things for Essendon but for around the last 20 years it's all just been about himself.

I was rather surprised to hear that he was a board memeber, apart from reunions or whatever the closest he should be to the club in 2022 is sitting in the stands watching with his footy record.
100% agree.
I'd hate to see a 60 year old Pavlich calling the shots of the club if he wasn't in an active position. Clubs can always celebrate their past champions, but letting them run the show is just plain lunacy.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
Hird as head coach has/had to take the ultimate blame for the supplements saga, but I tend to think he was less of a machiavellian cheat and more of a naive fool during that entire period. I think his love of his club and ergo its employees clouded his vision and lulled him into a false sense of security that everything was above board.

Reading Chip Kelly’s book, Hird was grossly negligent just basically gave Dank carte blanche to inject weird s**t into the footballers as long as it was within the rules.

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
GWS v Carlton girls are playing on what looks like a cow paddock.
Was in Sydney recently, it's shocking how often its weather gets talked up as a positive (often in comparison to Melbourne).
Cloudy every day, constant showers and drizzle and this is supposed to the dry time of year before the wet season hits!

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Pretty good game

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
Norwood, Casey and West Perth. A clean sweep of the state leagues for the red and blue

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back