Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Clarkson worth all the hype?

Honestly, I don't know and I am inclined to say no. I may be proven wrong but the game has moved on from when he last built or even had a competitive team and I don't know if he has the capability to build one again- especially if he goes to Norf. One of the reasons Hawks were so successful was because of the experienced players from other clubs he was able to bring in while simultaneously not losing the big names except for Buddy. He made them a destination club. Norf are a long way from being that (if they ever will be) and I don't think his name alone is a big enough pull to get the players they need in through the door anymore. Not to mention the facilities at Arden Street for years have been labeled terrible and the worst in the league although I don't know if there have been any upgrades over the last couple of years.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Honestly, I don't know and I am inclined to say no. I may be proven wrong but the game has moved on from when he last built or even had a competitive team and I don't know if he has the capability to build one again- especially if he goes to Norf. One of the reasons Hawks were so successful was because of the experienced players from other clubs he was able to bring in while simultaneously not losing the big names except for Buddy. He made them a destination club. Norf are a long way from being that (if they ever will be) and I don't think his name alone is a big enough pull to get the players they need in through the door anymore. Not to mention the facilities at Arden Street for years have been labeled terrible and the worst in the league although I don't know if there have been any upgrades over the last couple of years.
Apparently they have decent enough facilities now at North

Stinky Lomax

All Australian
Jul 11, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Considering he just got fired from the Hawks, I'd say no, he's not worth the hype.
Clarkson hasn’t coached a winning final since 2015.

His value initially will be the excitement around him coaching whichever club & the marketing opportunities that come with it. On field results will be how he is judged eventually & there is a risk that his system hasnt evolved past what everyone else is already doing & he doesn’t have the impact expected.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I know destiny is in our hands and all that etc but * me in what year would 15 and a half wins be not enough to finish Top 4?

Cruel joke indeed.
Well 2016 was nuts. Dogs won the flag from 7th spot the top 6-7 had at least 14-15 wins each.

Richmond had 3 Elim finals from 2013-15 and they got 15 wins in 13 and 15.

I am not upset if freo has 15 wins and a draw and get 5th or 6th with a home Elim final.

This isn't the final 8 and 16 team era of 1995-2010 where 15 wins and 7 defeats easily gave you top 4 or even top 2. Some years 11 wins gets a finals spot.

Hence why I am frustrated with 3 years of finals from 1995-2010...

But let's move on...

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Some people still think Griffin Logue is a bust haha…
Yeah... But I some how had faith in him. He was taken early in that 2016 draft. Mainly due to versatility I think.

Played 13 games in 2017. 0 dockers games in 2018 due to inury but played a couple of peel games late in the season.

Played a few games in 2019.

Then 4-5 games in 2020, then missed the rest of the season due to injuries.

Been solid in the last 2 seasons. Liked that he has been given a chance to play forward

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I actually can’t believe some of the stuff I’m reading here where people are kinda conflicted about wanting Carlton to win next week to help us reach top 4. Are you people serious? We’ve had how many top 4 finishes in the last 28 years?

If we finish 5th we can’t win the flag from WA outside the top 4.
If we finish 4th, we probably can’t either, but there’s a chance. A nothing to lose final v Geelong at the G as opposed to a nervy home elimination final probably v Richmond who are in bloody good form. All the pressure would be on Geelong in week 1 of the finals. It’s a MASSIVE prize compared to finishing 5th.

I dislike Carlton as much as anyone else. Don’t get me wrong on that. But * me dead, I’m not willing to give up a top 4 chance just so I can take some pleasure out of another club missing finals.
That’s batshit crazy level talk.
So let’s *in go the mighty old navy blues next weekend at the MCG.

*if we fail to beat GWS on Saturday avo, then I don’t care. I would like to see avoid whatever position means we would play Richmond. I don’t feel confident we could beat them, a hardened finals outfit, especially with no experienced key forwards.
I love your post.

But I have Brisbane 2021 vibes here.

Brisbane finished 4th on percentage. Lost to demons in the qualifying final, then to the dogs in the semi final. Had they got, 5th, they would of beaten Essendon at home and lost the semi finals next week .

I am in the minority here. Considering Freo hasn't played finals from 2016-2021, I don't Mindy Freo getting 5th and facing the dogs in Perth.

If freo gets 4th, I am worried of a repeat of freos 2014 season of going out in straight sets

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love your post.

Brisbane finished 4th on percentage. Lost to demons in the qualifying final, then to the dogs in the semi final. Had they got, 5th, they would of beaten Essendon at home and lost the semi finals next week .

I am in the minority here. Considering Freo hasn't played finals from 2016-2021, I don't Mindy Freo getting 5th and facing the dogs in Perth.

If freo gets 4th, I am worried of a repeat of freos 2014 season of going out in straight sets
Nah.
Believe.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
So other than watching Freo, which other clubs have people liked to watch?
For me it’s been the Pies and the Tigers this year.
There’s something about entertaining footy, and it’s nice to include Freo in that
basket. If we fix that forward line lookout.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
So other than watching Freo, which other clubs have people liked to watch?
For me it’s been the Pies and the Tigers this year.
There’s something about entertaining footy, and it’s nice to include Freo in that
basket. If we fix that forward line lookout.
Been happy to watch West Coast 😂

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clarkson hasn’t coached a winning final since 2015.

His value initially will be the excitement around him coaching whichever club & the marketing opportunities that come with it. On field results will be how he is judged eventually & there is a risk that his system hasnt evolved past what everyone else is already doing & he doesn’t have the impact expected.

I agree and will add that he'll be there to sort out the crap in the club as much as anything.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
I love your post.

Maybe but the 2 finals games are invaluable for our young list.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
A lot of generous people here. I suspect many wouldn't be feeling as charitable had they watched their own team dishing up what Essendon did for most of this year.

Yeah...Truck needed to do a Rossy and drop a couple...starting with Darcy Parish...

That guy is the biggest front running flog in the AFL. He's a soft prima-donna and needs that belted out of him.
He refuses to defend...

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Fully agree, everyone is tainted by them making the finals last year, but they scraped in with one of the most even years ever. Including the final they lost, they went 11-12...

They have Merrett and Ridley who would be guns at any club, Parish who is a poor mans Brodie and plays the role anyone can play, Stringer who only performs when his contract is up and Wright who has been a revelation.

There are more holes then you can poke a stick at with that list, and that's IF all of Hobbs (who I like as Serong-lite), Cox, Perkins and Reid come on. Their list is another one like St Kildas, a whole bunch of eh that will take them nowhere. The fact Dodo still has a job is mind blowing

Insulting to Will

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah...Truck needed to do a Rossy and drop a couple...starting with Darcy Parish...

That guy is the biggest front running flog in the AFL. He's a soft prima-donna and needs that belted out of him.
He refuses to defend...
Zach Merritt isn't any better either.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's team defence that they are lacking.
Some of that footage against Port was damning.
They aren't going to know what hits them when Clarkson takes the helm

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Robbie Gray has retired

The North board had 2500 posts in one day in the Clarkson thread...

BF may legit explode if he goes to Essendon
imagine if he decides he'd rather take another year off

imagine if he decides he'd rather take another year off
The World GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back