Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Officially more kids are taking up playing AFL here in Sydney than taking up playing NRL. I know kids living near me are more into AFL.

I think people outside of NSW are severely underestimating what is happening at grass roots here in NSW. The women's game has grown significantly and the Auskick programs have more and more kids every year.

I think people outside of NSW are severely underestimating what is happening at grass roots here in NSW. The women's game has grown significantly and the Auskick programs have more and more kids every year.

Time to end the academies then.

Didn’t think of Jackson - I’ll give you him for Cadman.
Then again - they would then have the same conundrum as we do with Briggs instead of Darcy…. In fact they would probably just put Jacko in the ruck and drop Briggs.

None of our small or medium forwards would get a look in. Brown scores more goals than Frederick.
Amiss over Cadman - probably but they are slightly different types of forwards. As classy as amiss is, he not getting his hands on the footy enough. If you had to pick two from 4 of Riccardi, Treacy, amiss and Cadman, it’s probably a combination of one from each club. Not much between them i guess. Every time I see Ricciardi play against us he looks like an absolute gun though.

Switta, Emmett, Banfield, Walters, Frederick would all be playing VFL at the giants.
Daniels would be our best small forward. The crazy thing is we haven’t even seen phoenix Gothard yet! Another supposedly elite small forward.

They are going to have a boil over of AFL small forward talent over there in the next year or so because they can’t all play.
Maybe we can tempt someone from there to help with our small forward woes?

…. what did Phoenix do ????

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Time to end the academies then.
Right when they're working? Time to double down! More academies!

Hungry Cake GIF

Officially more kids are taking up playing AFL here in Sydney than taking up playing NRL. I know kids living near me are more into AFL.
Is it AFL in Sydney, or Aussie rules/
I hate junior football being referred to as AFL. AFL is a brand. The name of thegame is Australian rules, or Aussie rules.
I see small bill boards here in Perth advertising juniour football as AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a questionable strategy because I assume they think once GWS win a flag thousands of new fans will come out of the woodwork.
Melbourne storm are probably the most successful NRL team ever yet are still minnows in Melbourne. The premierships they won haven’t made a huge dent at all.

If GWS win a flag western Sydney folk will go “ oh that’s nice, good to see” before immediately turning their focus back to Penrith and parramatta and Canterbury bullgogs etc.
With over 40000 members they doing well

While not many punters care about GWS the AFL certainly do, and will undoubtedly continue to gift them players by fair mean or foul until they get noticed in Western Sydney.

Under the current AFL promotion of GWS, Swans, GC and Brissy it's no surprise we have less talent available than they do.

I am a giants member as well as I live in Sydney. I can tell you the growth has been pretty big this year: especially in Canberra. A few years ago Canberra games were not a sell
Out. And the crowd was 50:50 at best Giants / opponents supporters.

This years the 2 Canberra games have been sellouts, with 80% giants fans.

Plus it must be remembered that so many of the draft picks that were gifted to the giants have moved on now. A lot of their talent like Tom Greene have been NSW grown.

Record membership this year too. Clearly no where near the support of WA it SA teams, but I feel it’s heading in the right direction

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very true. And when the swans and giants are both doing well, it grows even more.

Gold Coast seems to be going backwards, but I think NSW it’s heading in the right direction

I live an hour and a half out of Sydney, and I was blown away when my daughter said she wants to play Auskick with her friends at school. She has never shown any interest before even with the amount of Freo and giants games I watch

It’s Western Sydney they’ll never get ahold of
Parramatta to Campbelltown. All multicultural, migrants massively into football- round game.

My local A-League team in the MacArthur Bulls. Massive multicultural area, and they get 1000 people at a game if lucky. It’s a very weird area for sport Western sydney

My local A-League team in the MacArthur Bulls. Massive multicultural area, and they get 1000 people at a game if lucky. It’s a very weird area for sport Western sydney

That is more to do with there already being Sydney FC and Western Sydney. A team should never have been put in MacArthur and supposedly only was because the people paying the media money forced the APL's hand into it. The A-League is also struggling somewhat for attendance numbers all around the league.

That is more to do with there already being Sydney FC and Western Sydney. A team should never have been put in MacArthur and supposedly only was because the people paying the media money forced the APL's hand into it. The A-League is also struggling somewhat for attendance numbers all around the league.

True that.

Since moving here I have found sydney an odd place though. When teams are not doing well in any code, no one goes. Like TERRIBLE crowd numbers. Then start going ok and fill stadiums.

Only have to look at how bad West coast have been the last few years and their supporters were still going to the games to support their teams.

Odd folk over here

Watching Adelaide show up and dismantle North in the first qtr as they should is just rubbing in our pathetic derby showing even more. :(

Watching Adelaide show up and dismantle North in the first qtr as they should is just rubbing in our pathetic derby showing even more. :(
North have dropped off a bit, it's always a bit more of a gamble getting them in the first few rounds, plus Adelaide is the most front running side in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back