Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A positive test to cannabis on game day is a violation of the performance enhancing drug code.
In off season it’s considered recreational but on game day it’s entirely different.
All players are aware of this and that’s why Willie panicked and took the ridiculous action he did.
Put simply , he cheated and tried to hide it.

How is having a Billy performance enhancing??
I would've thought it is counterproductive to good performance.
And the whole AFL 3 strikes rubbish is a shemozzle

It is irrelevant whether it is actually performance enhancing
They know the rules

Disagree.

You agree to abide by the WADA code (significant parts that I disagree with) so you take the test. You don't try and avoid it and you don't try and put in a substitute.

Who cares if he submitted it at a later time? He may have had something worth testing for in his system that metabolised.

The fact he tested positive for something AFTER trying to avoid a test and then tamper with a test is why he should have had the book thrown at him.

WADA is a disgrace of an organisation but Riolli should have gotten 4 years.

That's cool, I can see why you think he should have received 4 years. Personally I think 4 would have been incredibly excessive.

It is irrelevant whether it is actually performance enhancing
They know the rules

Dan is right, it doesn't matter.

But anything stress relieving and world shrinking is beneficial to elite sportspeople. Sports psychology is a relatively new field but I would think we get our most effective performances from our athletes when they are of clear mind, focused and sleeping well from a reduction in their general anxiety level.

It wouldn't surprise you to find out that uncharacteristic form slumps from players in the AFL have coincidently matched up with stressful home circumstances.

I think it was still 2 years at that time
You are actually correct. The Essendon situation maybe made them make it harsher?

FREMANTLE midfielder Ryan Crowley has been issued a show-cause notice and is serving a provisional suspension after testing positive to a banned substance on a match-day last season.
Crowley is awaiting a hearing to appear at the AFL Tribunal after testing positive to the substance, which was contained in a painkiller that the Dockers said they had not prescribed.
If found guilty, Crowley faces a ban of up to two years

You know 4 years was the maximum not the default right?

Crowley faced 4, received 1.

Thanks for that, I clearly do not have any idea about WADA code :rolleyes:

Can you let me know when Crowley avoided the test and then substituted a substance? They are completely different charges under the WADA code and tampering with a test should absolutely be 4 years.

That's cool, I can see why you think he should have received 4 years. Personally I think 4 would have been incredibly excessive.

Yep, agree to disagree. Tampering with tests should be held to such a high standard. As we are seeing, the people who cheat are so far out in front of those who are supposed to enforce anti-doping guidelines that it is almost a losing battle.

What a deadset moron, swapping Gatorade in for urine. Should be delisted based just on the level of stupidity.

Thanks for that, I clearly do not have any idea about WADA code :rolleyes:

Can you let me know when Crowley avoided the test and then substituted a substance? They are completely different charges under the WADA code and tampering with a test should absolutely be 4 years.
I was wrong about the 4 years

But Taylor's point about 50% reduction makes sense

Crowley faced 2 got 1. Rioli faced 4 got 2... Same for Essendon

Thanks for schooling me Taylor :thumbsu:

In terms of heroic returns against the odds, I can only rank young Willie's remarkable perseverance and courage with that of Jason McCartney when he returned for one final game after being a victim of the Bali bombings or that of Alex Johnson returning from 4 ACL surgeries. In fact if you wanted to look beyond football, I see major similarities with Willie's story of resistance against overwhelming persecution with men like Nelson Mandela, Jesus of Nazareth and George Michael.

Bravo Willie Rioli, we all applaud what you have overcome and I hope someone at the West gives me a job after reading this.

Didn’t he end up submitting a test the same day that showed cannabis? He’s an idiot but not a drug cheat, two years out is a fair outcome imo.
Because he tampered with the first test there is no way of confirming the result. The cannabis was for another later test. Tampering is the greater offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there are currently 7 articles on the west website about willie rioli. I'm surprised they have shown this much restraint.

In terms of heroic returns against the odds, I can only rank young Willie's remarkable perseverance and courage with that of Jason McCartney when he returned for one final game after being a victim of the Bali bombings or that of Alex Johnson returning from 4 ACL surgeries. In fact if you wanted to look beyond football, I see major similarities with Willie's story of resistance against overwhelming persecution with men like Nelson Mandela, Jesus of Nazareth and George Michael.

Bravo Willie Rioli, we all applaud what you have overcome and I hope someone at the West gives me a job after reading this.

Let’s not forget about Cousins getting wiped over with a magical flannel instantly reforming his drug addiction before being rushed back into the side! 4661D6E8-B1BD-4F47-AF01-1BA20A49DA1A.jpeg

Let’s not forget about Cousins getting wiped over with a magical flannel instantly reforming his drug addiction before being rushed back into the side!View attachment 1069807
Plenty of players have drug addictions that don't get aired out in the media on the regular

They could have had a field day with Jesse Hogan

The Rioli ban is harsh, but forget that, the real story is that creep Nisbett trying to put the main blame back on the AFL education system and Rioli for having learning difficulties. Anything to take the blame off the culture you created Trev.

The Rioli ban is harsh, but forget that, the real story is that creep Nisbett trying to put the main blame back on the AFL education system and Rioli for having learning difficulties. Anything to take the blame off the culture you created Trev.

How did you come to that conclusion? The bloke tampered with his urine sample which is a lot worse than if he left it and just tested positive for a bit of weed. If anything, the ban is lenient.

How did you come to that conclusion? The bloke tampered with his urine sample which is a lot worse than if he left it and just tested positive for a bit of weed. If anything, the ban is lenient.
I don't like seeing talent like that out of the game and don't think he was taking PEDs. I get the idea that you have to punish tampering, but this wasn't exactly a well planned deliberate attempt.
What I can't stand is Teflon Trev's softly racist referral to Willie's learning difficulties, after the protection racket he ran in the mid 2000's.

Amazing how West Coast and the West Coast biased media in this state, can celebrate a drug cheat.
At the end of the day, that’s what he is.
Have you forgotten Ryan Crowley? Everyone was sad for him and he didn't even have to wait 2 years

Why the tit for tat bullshit.
Rioli tampered with his sample.
Possibly the worst offence on the ASADA books.
He was always going to cop it in the neck
You change your moniker to DanWawawa :'(
You'll never see me defending tampering, he was worthy of facing the 4 and the explanation given for the reduction to 2 made sense and Taylor made an interesting point about other 50% reductions including Essendon and Crowley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back