Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulldogs look the best team so far this season, West Coast not that far behind.
WC are well coached, run club.
For all the talk of draft picks the
Last top ten draft is Gaff.
The next are two number 11 picks.
Team balance, talent identification has been top notch.
Compared to other clubs gifted endless picks, list management, development is the key.

Compared to other clubs gifted endless picks, list management, development is the key.
A solid game plan is the key.

I love the way Ryan plays. He bosses the game & his body language is pure arrogance.
Both Port & Richmond got smashed today. Not to mention St Kilda. Weird form. So hard to get a read on a lot of teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stand the guy. Wasn't he involved in domestic violence?

Don’t forget a massive pile of cash

It’s strange ....rich clubs usually do so poorly in professional sport

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

anyone else see how quickly the rebuild is happening for gold coast with all their gifts and sydney with their academy giving them premium access each year, and then look at how much freo have had to give up and how hard they've had to work through theirs and just hate the AFL? or am i just being a salty fan? :/
Hierarchy of priorities within the AFL when it comes to AFL footy clubs:
1. Gold Coast
2. GWS
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
These 4 teams are the highest priority. The AFL does not want any of these sides to be in the bottom 4 for too long. They will give them every subtle little advantage possible over the rest of the comp. Within the 4, Sydney are probably least of their concern given the strong academy they have. In Gills future utopia, the Suns become an AFL powerhouse with dozens of elite talent produced through their academy.
The AFL will do whatever it takes to ensure these clubs get every leg up possible. Even if it means blatantly disadvantaging to the rest of the comp.

The nest tier of priorities are the big Melbourne clubs.
In no particular order - Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon.
These clubs have massive historical fan bases. They are potential major cash cows for the AFL. Any of these teams spending long periods in the doldrums is viewed as a negative by the AFL. These sides will always get plenty of prime time slots no matter how s**t they are.
As Richmond are a very well run outfit now on and off the field they are less of a concern for the AFL at present. Gill and the lads would love to see Carlton and Essendon become major contenders again though. There is a lot of old money tied up in these clubs and their associates and the AFL see great marketing opportunities from both these teams becoming successful.

Now we come to those mid ranking Melbourne sides. The AFL would be relatively indifferent about this batch. Hawthorn, Geelong, bulldogs would be included here. They are good organisation’s off the field and tend to run themselves. Hawthorn in particular have a lot of wealthy fans and have influence through people like Jeff Kennett but aren’t as big as the first 4 clubs I mentioned. The AFL are happy to see these sides do well, but aren’t too fussed about them either.
At this stage I’d probably slot in the Demons and the Saints. The AFL like the history of both these clubs, especially the Dees. The fact that Gill himself is a Saints fan is a positive for them as they would definitely be viewed as a bit of a problem child besides (we will come to North later).
Larger interstate clubs are next. Adelaide and west coast are in this bracket. Two clubs that AFL house really don’t ever need to worry about. Rich and established first in their respective states, the AFL are indifferent about whether these sides are successful. They will never have to bail them out in any form.
Now we come to the teams they really don’t care about in the AFL. North Melbourne are the first one. A headache for the AFL - they are the weakest link in a crowded marketplace in Vic. If only they would go to Tassie! There will be no GCS style priority picks for north no matter how s**t they get.
Port Adelaide are next. The AFL really don’t care about Port. Them building a dynasty and winning multiple flags would be viewed as a missed opportunity by the AFL. Much better a big club like Carlton or Essendon if anyone is going to do that. Port cleverly get themselves a bit of attention via things like the prison bar jumpers and they play up their 150 year old tradition with port Adelaide magpies which regularly keeps them in the spotlight.
Finally we come to the Fremantle dockers. In the eyes of Gill McLachlan and his board - the most irrelevant club in the competition. Someone has to be bottom 4 every year. The AFL would be happy if it was us for the next 20 years straight. Set up purely to balance the unnatural strength of the Eagles, there was no massive draft concessions handed to us. Success for the dockers is viewed as a major missed opportunity by the AFL. There’s no massive extra market to be tapped into by the Freo dockers winning premierships. We are a safe club fur the AFL in that we will never go broke due to a loyal fanbase. But those pesky dockers taking up valuable promotion and marketing real estate in the top 4 of the comp? Gill and the lads will say no thanks to that I can guarantee you.
Dockers getting too much advantage from the NGA? We better do something quick says Gill and his team incase they actually get tangible benefit from it. However Sydney getting 6 first round academy players in the last 5 years? Nah, nothing to see here. That different. Great for the game!!

The inherent unfairness is frustrating, but the feeling and sweetness of victory when we do win that flag will be all the better for it.

Hierarchy of priorities within the AFL when it comes to AFL footy clubs:
1. Gold Coast
2. GWS
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
These 4 teams are the highest priority. The AFL does not want any of these sides to be in the bottom 4 for too long. They will give them every subtle little advantage possible over the rest of the comp. Within the 4, Sydney are probably least of their concern given the strong academy they have. In Gills future utopia, the Suns become an AFL powerhouse with dozens of elite talent produced through their academy.
The AFL will do whatever it takes to ensure these clubs get every leg up possible. Even if it means blatantly disadvantaging to the rest of the comp.

The nest tier of priorities are the big Melbourne clubs.
In no particular order - Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon.
These clubs have massive historical fan bases. They are potential major cash cows for the AFL. Any of these teams spending long periods in the doldrums is viewed as a negative by the AFL. These sides will always get plenty of prime time slots no matter how sh*t they are.
As Richmond are a very well run outfit now on and off the field they are less of a concern for the AFL at present. Gill and the lads would love to see Carlton and Essendon become major contenders again though. There is a lot of old money tied up in these clubs and their associates and the AFL see great marketing opportunities from both these teams becoming successful.

Now we come to those mid ranking Melbourne sides. The AFL would be relatively indifferent about this batch. Hawthorn, Geelong, bulldogs would be included here. They are good organisation’s off the field and tend to run themselves. Hawthorn in particular have a lot of wealthy fans and have influence through people like Jeff Kennett but aren’t as big as the first 4 clubs I mentioned. The AFL are happy to see these sides do well, but aren’t too fussed about them either.
At this stage I’d probably slot in the Demons and the Saints. The AFL like the history of both these clubs, especially the Dees. The fact that Gill himself is a Saints fan is a positive for them as they would definitely be viewed as a bit of a problem child besides (we will come to North later).
Larger interstate clubs are next. Adelaide and west coast are in this bracket. Two clubs that AFL house really don’t ever need to worry about. Rich and established first in their respective states, the AFL are indifferent about whether these sides are successful. They will never have to bail them out in any form.
Now we come to the teams they really don’t care about in the AFL. North Melbourne are the first one. A headache for the AFL - they are the weakest link in a crowded marketplace in Vic. If only they would go to Tassie! There will be no GCS style priority picks for north no matter how sh*t they get.
Port Adelaide are next. The AFL really don’t care about Port. Them building a dynasty and winning multiple flags would be viewed as a missed opportunity by the AFL. Much better a big club like Carlton or Essendon if anyone is going to do that. Port cleverly get themselves a bit of attention via things like the prison bar jumpers and they play up their 150 year old tradition with port Adelaide magpies which regularly keeps them in the spotlight.
Finally we come to the Fremantle dockers. In the eyes of Gill McLachlan and his board - the most irrelevant club in the competition. Someone has to be bottom 4 every year. The AFL would be happy if it was us for the next 20 years straight. Set up purely to balance the unnatural strength of the Eagles, there was no massive draft concessions handed to us. Success for the dockers is viewed as a major missed opportunity by the AFL. There’s no massive extra market to be tapped into by the Freo dockers winning premierships. We are a safe club fur the AFL in that we will never go broke due to a loyal fanbase. But those pesky dockers taking up valuable promotion and marketing real estate in the top 4 of the comp? Gill and the lads will say no thanks to that I can guarantee you.
Dockers getting too much advantage from the NGA? We better do something quick says Gill and his team incase they actually get tangible benefit from it. However Sydney getting 6 first round academy players in the last 5 years? Nah, nothing to see here. That different. Great for the game!!

The inherent unfairness is frustrating, but the feeling and sweetness of victory when we do win that flag will be all the better for it.
Our administration is it’s own worst enemy, but.
It all really started with the Fitzroy/Brisbane merger.
Roos wanted to merge but denied by the AFL.
The concessions given to the Lions created a 3 peat.
Then it was Sydney’s turn to be kissed.
Cats built their dynasty on father sons, but still draft very well regardless.
Hawks are really the model to emulate, and there is a reason why they became a coaching factory.
Good drafting and an eye for bargain talent, and don’t even bother looking at injury concerns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought it was the other Melbourne clubs who were so opposed to a North-Lions merger. If those clubs hadn't kicked up such a fuss then that merger could have gone ahead.

Back in the the mid-80s to mid-90s what the VFL/AFL administration wanted more than anything was to simply make the league viable in the long-term. Getting rid of (through either merger or relocation) unfinancial Melbourne clubs was a key part of that goal. It was only when the rusted on fans and the other Melbourne clubs proved to be so against those plans that the league moved to financial equalisation as its strategy to keep the league's clubs viable.

They still try to relocate clubs of course, but financial equalisation works against this. Most clubs would prefer to muddle along on handouts (while still criticising the AFL for being unfair) rather than try to make themselves financially independent somewhere else.

Last edited:
Hawks (and Saints to an extent) built their list through that era where you could priority picks at like pick 1

Shuey injured again I see. The guy can’t duck a trick.
Simpson said he wants to leave no stone unturned to get to the bottom of his hamstring problems.

I have the answer...stay on your *en feet when in a tackle, stop *en ducking. That must be s**t for the hammies

I don't normally post this type of rumour, but this one comes from someone VERY close to the Eagles. Oscar Allen is going to be the cornerstone of a huge trade deal involving Patrick Cripps to the Eagles next year. Don't know the details, but you heard it here first.

I don't normally post this type of rumour, but this one comes from someone VERY close to the Eagles. Oscar Allen is going to be the cornerstone of a huge trade deal involving Patrick Cripps to the Eagles next year. Don't know the details, but you heard it here first.
I hope it ain't a joke. A move of that nature would see them at the bottom of the ladder for the foreseeable future!

I would rather Allen than Cripps

I hope this is the case, would be much more worried about WC going forward with Allen there than Cripps.

Struggling to see the logic of the trade myself. Wouldn’t be money because Cripp’s contract would be massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back