purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
We will never know

great teams win anywhere

They barely beat us at the MCG with us kicking inaccurately in terrible conditions. We clearly had some stage fright at the start of the GF which would have been mitigated significantly playing in familiar surrounds. Meanwhile Hawthorn played more games at the MCG that September than we did in the entire season.

'Great teams win anywhere' is a pretty trite saying when you're coming up against other great teams in grand finals. Hawthorn couldn't beat the eagles in WA in the finals in 2015, then suddenly could in Melbourne. Did they go from being not-great to great in a couple of weeks? Or do even great teams find it harder to win away from home against other great teams?

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Ed Langdon has 720 metres gained at 3/4 time. That's unreal.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
They barely beat us at the MCG with us kicking inaccurately in terrible conditions. We clearly had some stage fright at the start of the GF which would have been mitigated significantly playing in familiar surrounds. Meanwhile Hawthorn played more games at the MCG that September than we did in the entire season.

'Great teams win anywhere' is a pretty trite saying when you're coming up against other great teams in grand finals. Hawthorn couldn't beat the eagles in WA in the finals in 2015, then suddenly could in Melbourne. Did they go from being not-great to great in a couple of weeks? Or do even great teams find it harder to win away from home against other great teams?
Eagles were a great team too. You don’t get in a GF being just good just look at Brissy the last 2 years. I don’t know why that happened in 2015, we couldn’t beat Hawks here but we were a better team than the Weags yet they did beat them. Some teams just match up well against your game plan and we probably could of beaten anyone else in the GF in 13 other than the Hawks. You are not going to win every game in this comp and the term I phrased is general but if you can win 3/4 of the games out of your home state you are a great team.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
The best way to get a spine is to draft one.

We have been banging our heads against the wall for years , we just ignore KPPs and continue drafting mids and HBF,S
our defence was basically made up with HBF,S and the forward half apart from Tabs made up of flankers.
Today the side was made up of Tabs and two rucks with a heap of mids and Cox who is the same size as Cripps.
Pre game in a post I said the selections would turn this game into a nightmare for us.
20 plus years of incompetence is getting to hard to take. Nothing changes season after season.

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
We have been banging our heads against the wall for years , we just ignore KPPs and continue drafting mids and HBF,S
our defence was basically made up with HBF,S and the forward half apart from Tabs made up of flankers.
Today the side was made up of Tabs and two rucks with a heap of mids and Cox who is the same size as Cripps.
Pre game in a post I said the selections would turn this game into a nightmare for us.
20 plus years of incompetence is getting to hard to take. Nothing changes season after season.
The problem is, I can't bring myself to support the vile scum that is West Coast, and I have no ties to any other interstate teams...

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree with you on our drafting. We have made some baffling decisions.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yes, we've been sh*t for 25 years because of the AFL, not the club's own poor decision making.

It's a conspiracy I tell you!
Its frustrating I know....

Yeah We have made some stupid trading and drafting decsions over the years.

We have been unlucky in some areas and some years too. You look back to 2004 when we needed the dogs to beat essendon to get that 8th spot in the finals. But sadly that didnt happen.

Yet that eagles side in 2002 cough and splattered to a finals spot with 11 wins and 11 losses and both their away wins were carlton by a point and north by 3 goals in the final round of the regular season.

Saying that I look at Matthew Richardsons AFL career from 1993-2008 and he only played finals in 2001. He didnt play When the tigers made finals in 1995 as he was injured. Then you look at all those years Richmond finished 9th when the final 8 started in 1994: 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2006 and 2008. Turn those 9th placed finishes into 8th placed finals spots and thats 6 more finals he could of played. Richardson and Paul Broderick, Matty Knights, Brendon Gale, nick daffy etc all played for richmond in that 1994-2001 period. So playing finals in 1994-6, 1998 and 2000-01 would of been good to look back on.

I look at the career of Matty Pavlich. 700 goals from 353 games from 2000-2016. Only Played finals in 7 years: 2003, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. I am humble enough and Happy that we gave Pav a shot or 2 for a premiership, even though he was at the near end of his career and past his prime. Still, I wished me made finals in 2004-5 as well as we had some solid mids in that era such as Peter Bell, Shaun McManus, Paul Hasleby, Troy cook and the Carr Brothers.

Staring down the bottom of the Barrell. Fyfe, Walters, Hamling, Lobb, Tabs are not getting younger. If we dont make finals in 2021, thats 6 years in a row of no finals action.

Again I really want Justin Longmuir to succeed and lead us to finals again. I am Hoping its either 2021 or 2022.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its frustrating I know....

Yeah We have made some stupid trading and drafting decsions over the years.

We have been unlucky in some areas and some years too. You look back to 2004 when we needed the dogs to beat essendon to get that 8th spot in the finals. But sadly that didnt happen.

Yet that eagles side in 2002 cough and splattered to a finals spot with 11 wins and 11 losses and both their away wins were carlton by a point and north by 3 goals in the final round of the regular season.

Saying that I look at Matthew Richardsons AFL career from 1993-2008 and he only played finals in 2001. He didnt play When the tigers made finals in 1995 as he was injured. Then you look at all those years Richmond finished 9th when the final 8 started in 1994: 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2006 and 2008. Turn those 9th placed finishes into 8th placed finals spots and thats 6 more finals he could of played. Richardson and Paul Broderick, Matty Knights, Brendon Gale, nick daffy etc all played for richmond in that 1994-2001 period. So playing finals in 1994-6, 1998 and 2000-01 would of been good to look back on.

I look at the career of Matty Pavlich. 700 goals from 353 games from 2000-2016. Only Played finals in 7 years: 2003, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. I am humble enough and Happy that we gave Pav a shot or 2 for a premiership, even though he was at the near end of his career and past his prime. Still, I wished me made finals in 2004-5 as well as we had some solid mids in that era such as Peter Bell, Shaun McManus, Paul Hasleby, Troy cook and the Carr Brothers.

Staring down the bottom of the Barrell. Fyfe, Walters, Hamling, Lobb, Tabs are not getting younger. If we dont make finals in 2021, thats 6 years in a row of no finals action.

Again I really want Justin Longmuir to succeed and lead us to finals again. I am Hoping its either 2021 or 2022.
Thanks so much for some stable perspective Maniac 👍👍👍
And if you don't mind I'd like to add we did everything you mentioned with no ones help and , without exaggeration, being probably the most undesirable football club in the country .
We go alright for a s**t heap of a rabble ⚓

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
I been reading some of the old posts on Shinboner’s website and am wondering if anyone can recommend some other footy related sites that I don’t know about?

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
At the game today I had a few takeaways ahead of next week. Hawks don’t scare me. They have a few useful young players like Jiath (he’s gonna be a star this kid) but will be missing Will Day. Watched Brockman closely. He struggled against the mature bodies of Geelong in contact. Can see he’s gonna be a decent player though. Smart footballer.
Phillips got on quite a bit of ball. Would be the quintessential journeyman type that come out against freo and looks a million bucks (you could call it “Curnow-ing”) so we will need to watch that. Dont think their tall timber up front is that scary though. Mitch Lewis is no Harry Mackay. Wingard when he was in the mood was dangerous. Maybe Conca can lock him down, wouldn’t be too hard to put him off I reckon, for all his talent he’s not really a leader.
Hawkins is something else. What I wouldnt give to put a prime Tom Hawkins into our forward line for the next decade. Would transform our footy club overnight. Thought Mark O'Connor was exceptional too. Tackling, exquisite disposal by foot, tagging Mitchell, won about 7 clearances to boot.
Have Freo ever tried to recruit an Irish player no? They can be hit and miss due to homesickness mainly, not so much talent.
We’ll beat the Hawks next week I reckon.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sean something or other. He didn’t last
I might be biased being Irish but there is a well of talent playing Gaelic football that could be tapped into albeit Covid has probably stunted that for most clubs.
I can see O’Connor moving into the midfield at Geelong full time in the next year or so. His decision making was absolutely elite today. Barely ever gives the ball away even if disposing of it in heavy traffic.
Our wealth of NGA players probably mean that chances of a Cat B rookie spot being used on someone from another country or sport is less likely compared to the likes of Geelong. In saying that Brisbane have 2 Irish lads on their list despite access to Northern Academy talent.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nic Nat getting praise for his ruck work, which is fine if he leaps, but he doesn’t anymore, he blocks the opposing ruckmans run at the ball, protects the drop zone & palms it where he wants.
Darcy & Gawn for that matter both get pinged constantly for the exact same thing. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back