Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If we wanted mongrel we should have chased Nic Cox

Now there's a mongrel ( probably fills a lot of our needs looking at it now ) Pretty handy for a tall fella

And gone before our first pick.

And organise the defence into a cohesive unit

I can't believe that he is still so underrated and undervalued by our supporter base.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'll give you that he stuck to his opposition like glue and forced the ball over the boundary many times ( 1980's footy ) but where was the rebound .
For a guy to be at AFL level he needs to be consistently confident at marking and kicking .
I'll admit my memory isn't fantastic but I recall watching many many games where he had opportunity to Intercept mark but punched .
Looked around for an easy handball when he was forced to kick
A turn off of a player
I reckon my mate Westy 1 would back me on this .

Ask this would you have him in our B22 right now if you could ( assuming all available- no injuries ?)

Rebound was not his game. We had Johnno and Duffield (Ibbo to a lesser extent as well) as our main rebound defenders. McPharlin and Dawson's job was to defend and then get the ball to one of those 3.

100% right now I would have him in our best 22. With Pearce and Hamling injured, Dawson would easily be our best defender.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rebound was not his game. We had Johnno and Duffield (Ibbo to a lesser extent as well) as our main rebound defenders. McPharlin and Dawson's job was to defend and then get the ball to one of those 3.

100% right now I would have him in our best 22. With Pearce and Hamling injured, Dawson would easily be our best defender.
Yeh like I said earlier I'm out
Will have to agree to disagree , he obviously played his role to some extent, but all I can recall the majority of the times he was near the ball was my hands on my head and asking " Why?"
Good night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Bit harsh from the Saints board, but his son obviously has seen the light!

“My 8 year old son just took his Saints jumper off and said he might start following the Dockers now.

It doesn’t get much worse than that.....”
that made my weekend even when freo got beaten by carlton lol

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
At the game today I had a few takeaways ahead of next week. Hawks don’t scare me. They have a few useful young players like Jiath (he’s gonna be a star this kid) but will be missing Will Day. Watched Brockman closely. He struggled against the mature bodies of Geelong in contact. Can see he’s gonna be a decent player though. Smart footballer.
Phillips got on quite a bit of ball. Would be the quintessential journeyman type that come out against freo and looks a million bucks (you could call it “Curnow-ing”) so we will need to watch that. Dont think their tall timber up front is that scary though. Mitch Lewis is no Harry Mackay. Wingard when he was in the mood was dangerous. Maybe Conca can lock him down, wouldn’t be too hard to put him off I reckon, for all his talent he’s not really a leader.
Hawkins is something else. What I wouldnt give to put a prime Tom Hawkins into our forward line for the next decade. Would transform our footy club overnight. Thought Mark O'Connor was exceptional too. Tackling, exquisite disposal by foot, tagging Mitchell, won about 7 clearances to boot.
Have Freo ever tried to recruit an Irish player no? They can be hit and miss due to homesickness mainly, not so much talent.
We’ll beat the Hawks next week I reckon.
Thanks for the intel report.

I wonder about Conca playing midfield role similar to O’Conner, and bring in Logue if available, or Duman if not.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
That’s right 👍

spent most of his time here...injured. Surprising I know

A 196cm KPF prospect. I seem to remember he was some kind of superstar at gaelic and there were high hopes. Alas, he rooted his hip. So bad that when he went back to Ireland he had to sit out a whole year of gaelic, and not sure if he ever got back on the park. Checking his twitter (which includes some retweets like Fyfe winning the Brownlow) he was in hospital last year with his 4th hip operation. Poor fella.

Purplrrr

All Australian
Jun 15, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
A 196cm KPF prospect. I seem to remember he was some kind of superstar at gaelic and there were high hopes. Alas, he rooted his hip. So bad that when he went back to Ireland he had to sit out a whole year of gaelic, and not sure if he ever got back on the park. Checking his twitter (which includes some retweets like Fyfe winning the Brownlow) he was in hospital last year with his 4th hip operation. Poor fella.

wow... Freo reeeeeallly got him ☹️

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
One of the funniest bits was using Jack Steele as the benchmark for being proud of the team!🤣

There was a ripper Richmond version of this the year before they won the flag. I wonder if it’ll have the same effect?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back