Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have millions in the bank while the other clubs are trying to survive on the smell of an oily rag.

I loved hearing Duff arc up about this in their last pod. It's bullshit and it's ruining the comp.

Souths won it last year and were good enough in the first half today. Did they come into some money last year and it ran out at half time? Sorry, I'm being facetious but I really think it's an easy excuse for losing supporters to use. I'm a WP supporter and we're broke but got into the second semi. Just get better and run your club well and you can beat S$bi imo. My second team is Peel and they're broke and they aren't run well and look at their results.

Souths won it last year and were good enough in the first half today. Did they come into some money last year and it ran out at half time? Sorry, I'm being facetious but I really think it's an easy excuse for losing supporters to use. I'm a WP supporter and we're broke but got into the second semi. Just get better and run your club well and you can beat S$bi imo.
13 Grand Final appearances in 18 years tells me there is something wrong with the salary caps for the comp. unless you think that is fair?

Souths won it last year and were good enough in the first half today. Did they come into some money last year and it ran out at half time? Sorry, I'm being facetious but I really think it's an easy excuse for losing supporters to use. I'm a WP supporter and we're broke but got into the second semi. Just get better and run your club well and you can beat S$bi imo. My second team is Peel and they're broke and they aren't run well and look at their results.

Absolute bollocks. If it wasn't for Freo/Peel (which Subi had the nerve to complain about) and covid, Subiaco would have waltzed there way to 8 consecutive premierships. On no planet should that be achievable. Even 5 out of 8 is way too much.

I used to play squash at Subiaco Oval (worked nearby) and my squash membership gave me a Lions membership ... I used to get their annual reports and the financials were unbelievable. They made millions in profit and were in better shape than most AFL clubs. Even if the AFL beverage rights are gone, they have stockpiled the money and clearly have an unfair advantage over the whole competition. It's beyond a joke.

13 Grand Final appearances in 18 years tells me there is something wrong with the salary caps for the comp. unless you think that is fair?

I don't and the Subi oval money was obviously a massive help for them and they've allegedly been creative in their use of the salary cap as most clubs if not all are. But Subi oval closed years ago and they didn't make the GF last year so I think it's definitely time to get over it. Also, money doesn't put a skilful well drilled team out on the oval every week. They clearly work hard for success to be a good team. Time to move on and instead support your team to get better.

Absolute bollocks. If it wasn't for Freo/Peel (which Subi had the nerve to complain about) and covid, Subiaco would have waltzed there way to 8 consecutive premierships. On no planet should that be achievable. Even 5 out of 8 is way too much.

I used to play squash at Subiaco Oval (worked nearby) and my squash membership gave me a Lions membership ... I used to get their annual reports and the financials were unbelievable. They made millions in profit and were in better shape than most AFL clubs. Even if the AFL beverage rights are gone, they have stockpiled the money and clearly have an unfair advantage over the whole competition. It's beyond a joke.
And they will be back there next year with another bunch of Ex AFL player$ while other teams develop through their Colts and Reserves

Touchy.

Had a bit to do with South Freo when i was a youngster coming through. I know enough and was put off by them.

That may be so but how you can form an opinion on a player based on your past experiences is beyond me. You don't watch us yet feel that entitles you to an opinion on a player you haven't seen play. As a Sowfs member I am telling you that you are way off the mark. Any other regular at the games will tell you the same thing.

I don't and the Subi oval money was obviously a massive help for them and they've allegedly been creative in their use of the salary cap as most clubs if not all are. But Subi oval closed years ago and they didn't make the GF last year so I think it's definitely time to get over it. Also, money doesn't put a skilful well drilled team out on the oval every week. They clearly work hard for success to be a good team. Time to move on and instead support your team to get better.
Must be the coaches they had then? That have all gone on to forge successful AFL careers, like Waters and Schofield and Beau Wardmen will be the next senior AFL coach. No, nothing to do with their Million$

Weren't they unbearable! I loved it.
It was their feral behaviour in front of a lot of kids that is still firmly etched in my memory.

I've watched a lot of sport and they were by far the most feral fans I've ever encountered - I was appalled and somewhat shocked grown adults could even act in such a manner (outside their lounge rooms). They made the wailing West Perth guy look reserved. They even made a West Coast crowd seem less feral - I honestly didn't think that was possible.

I'm not going to paint all their supporters with that same brush but since that day the Subiaco football club is one I try to avoid whenever possible.

Take it up with the WAFC then. If what you're suggesting is true, then the comp is wildly unfair and I don't see why the WAFC would just sit by and allow that. I'm calling bullshit. They might have a bit more money than most clubs but on paper, the teams today were very even. If Subi was totally cheating they'd have ex AFL players coming out of their ears and would be coached by Ross Lyon. Nah, it all sounds paranoid to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was their feral behaviour in front of a lot of kids that is still firmly etched in my memory.

I've watched a lot of sport and they were by far the most feral fans I've ever encountered - I was appalled and somewhat shocked grown adults could even act in such a manner (outside their lounge rooms). They made the wailing West Perth guy look reserved. They even made a West Coast crowd seem less feral - I honestly didn't think that was possible.

I'm not going to paint all their supporters with that same brush but since that day the Subiaco football club is one I try to avoid whenever possible.

I've had the same experience at a Derby (AFL) and now refuse to attend in case I witness the same lowlife experience and react in the wrong (but perhaps right) way. I would be willing to bet a lot that your Subi supporters were also WC supporters.

South Freo supporters booing the players when they walk up, just like Jye Bolton last year. Pretty low. No one likes Subi but show a little respect.

Take it up with the WAFC then. If what you're suggesting is true, then the comp is wildly unfair and I don't see why the WAFC would just sit by and allow that. I'm calling bullshit. They might have a bit more money than most clubs but on paper, the teams today were very even. If Subi was totally cheating they'd have ex AFL players coming out of their ears and would be coached by Ross Lyon. Nah, it all sounds paranoid to me.

You can't call something bullshit when the financials were printed for everyone to see, and the results speak for themselves and make their unfair advantage an indisputable fact. It's not just about having a bunch of ex-AFL players, it's the training/professionalism/fitness advantage that their money allows them to have over the competition.

Would be a lot of Subiaco people/money behind the WAFC, so what are they going to do? They don't care.

You can't call something bullshit when the financials were printed for everyone to see, and the results speak for themselves and make their unfair advantage an indisputable fact. It's not just about having a bunch of ex-AFL players, it's the training/professionalism/fitness advantage that their money allows them to have over the competition.

Would be a lot of Subiaco people/money behind the WAFC, so what are they going to do? They don't care.

I take your point but Money can't buy professionalism, and don't they share facilities with EP?

I'm sorry but it's just too far fetched. All the WAFC, all the other clubs, all the media are quiet on the apparent issue. Supporters don't seem to be boycotting the league either, so either it's not an issue or it is and they've got the whole of WA conned in which case it'll continue so you better get used to it.

Last edited:
There is something clearly wrong in a comp when one team wins 5 GF's in 8 years and my team, Perth who hasnt been in a GF for over 40 has to be content with a Reserves GF, the first GF of any kind they have won in over 21 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back