Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North could've drafted him with their last selection anyway. Itd be before the selection the suns were planning to use on him.
Yeah this, I mean this is funny and all but haven't North overpaid here - presumably they've upped the offer for him to accept the DFA but they would've been able to get him in the draft under terms of his old contract. They've paid overs for Greenwood's goodwill.

How’s the sympathy on Gold Coast. If you favour a player and try to do deals in good faith for a delisting, then you deserve to be burned. Pathetic list management with the draft picks as well
Same inept club that delisted Lyons..

Delist someone like Atkins, Sexton, Fiorini. All average players. Inept club.

What makes this funnier is they could probably use a Will Brodie right now to cover for the loss of Greenwood haha

And pick 19!

Their whole trade strategy was they are only taking pick 3 to the draft. They traded away their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks.

They now are hitting the draft with picks 3 and 97

And pick 19!

Their whole trade strategy was they are only taking pick 3 to the draft. They traded away their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks.

They now are hitting the draft with picks 3 and 97

Watch them suddenly interested in trading some of next year's bounty for a better second pick in the draft.

They might be up for trading for #19

From the age.
Will clean it up when I’m back at the big computer

ClubStatus
AdelaideDeni Varnhagen was transferred to the inactive list. All players are partially or fully vaccinated.
Brisbane LionsExpect all players to meet either AFL or state health deadlines.
CarltonLiam Jones has retired, refusing to be vaccinated. Male and female players have had at least one dose.
CollingwoodSay all male and female players are vaccinated.
FremantleExpect all players to be fully vaccinated by the AFL deadline.
GeelongSay they “do not foresee any issues regarding player vaccinations”.
Gold CoastExpect to be fully vaccinated by the AFL deadline, but new recruit Levi Casboult is awaiting the arrival of the Novavax vaccine.
GWSAFLW and male players are fully vaccinated.
HawthornPlayers will be fully vaccinated by November 22.
MelbourneThe Demons won’t comment on individuals but expect all male and female players to meet training and playing deadlines.
North MelbourneThe Kangaroos have two players interstate whose vaccination status is unclear, but they will not return to the club until after Christmas. All first- to fourth-year Victorian-based male players and all AFLW players are double vaccinated. Senior male players are due back on December 6. The Kangaroos were an early mover in having players vaccinated – 92 per cent of the football department had received their first jab in September.
Port AdelaidePlayers have had one jab and will be fully vaccinated by the end of February.
RichmondAll male and female players have had at least one jab and are committed to meeting the deadline.
St KildaThe Saints have chosen not to disclose the “individual vaccination status of our people to respect confidentiality around their health record”.
SydneyAll players all have been double vaccinated.
West CoastThe Eagles said the ‘‘vast majority’’ of players have had at least one jab. But industry sources say there are three unvaccinated players working through the process.
Western BulldogsPlayers and staff are “on track” to be fully vaccinated by the deadline.

datawrapper.gif

impressive to see Casboult managed to fit in a medical degree around his footy career to be able to differentiate between the potential issues with the Novavax vax compared to the Pfizer.

Is what the GC tried to do with Greenwood what we are trying to do with Schultz & Crowden?

I don't like the Rookie List concept and if I'm not mistaken we are equally exposed?

I think teams are getting too clever and it's about time they got burnt. I liked the old days when teams gave youngsters & Mature ages a chance in the Rookie list. Only last year we picked up Treacy and in past years we had a lot of success with Anthony Grover, Roger Hayden, Sandilands, Paul Duffield, Barlow, Spurr.

Recent years we have just recycled existing players. Make a call on them and either stick with them on the main list or cut them. The amount of years a player like Tom North hung around on our list and not taking a punt on other overlooked talent like Kelly or Liam Ryan.

I’d almost respect someone willing to go that far for their belief, if ot wasn’t for the stupidest ******* reason of all time. I hope for his kids sake he’s not full anti-vax
My wife is anti-Covid vax and she’s already talking about home schooling our 16 month old (not going to happen btw). My child is currently vaccinated against everything she should be and you’ll find the majority of Covid anti-vaxxers are exclusively against that particular vaccine because it hasn’t undergone any clinical trials to test the long term side effects. They’re not batshit crazy people. They are either financially secure enough or stubborn enough to put macro issues before their own financial responsibilities to their families.
Personally, I’m double vaxxed because I need to earn enough for both of us and our child but I’m certainly not comfortable that I’ve had to do so. I’m sure there are countless players and posters here in the same boat.

Who reckons J Darling will be next to follow suit?

My wife is anti-Covid vax and she’s already talking about home schooling our 16 month old (not going to happen btw). My child is currently vaccinated against everything she should be and you’ll find the majority of Covid anti-vaxxers are exclusively against that particular vaccine because it hasn’t undergone any clinical trials to test the long term side effects. They’re not batshit crazy people. They are either financially secure enough or stubborn enough to put macro issues before their own financial responsibilities to their families.
Personally, I’m double vaxxed because I need to earn enough for both of us and our child but I’m certainly not comfortable that I’ve had to do so. I’m sure there are countless players and posters here in the same boat.

Who reckons J Darling will be next to follow suit?
Yeah I understand there is a difference between COVID anti-vax and normal anti-vax. I’d say they’d fall into 1 of 3 categories
1) Full anti-vax nut jobs
2) ‘Muh freedoms’ anti-mandates
3) Not enough long term results on vaccines

My personal opinion is far more of the remaining anti vaccine people are in 1 and 2 then 3 like your wife but I can sort of understand her stance.

I do think the likelihood of long-term issues are currently a much smaller risk then the possible hit to your body if you get COVID unvaccinated but that’s again mainly personal opinion

Last edited:
The possibility of how much draft capital the Eagles coughed up Tim Kelly, combined with how 'meh' he's been for them so far.. Him having to retire early due to being anti-vax would just be a hilarious cherry on top.

If I have any complaint about how everything is going at the moment, it's that the government has done a woeful job of discrediting some of the absolute bullshit misinformation being flung about online regarding the vax.
People believe whole-heartedly that it's 'rushed, untrialled, untested', 'we have no idea of the long term effects' and 'It's does nothing to stop the spread of COVID'.
All of which are just *ing wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is what the GC tried to do with Greenwood what we are trying to do with Schultz & Crowden?

I don't like the Rookie List concept and if I'm not mistaken we are equally exposed?

I think teams are getting too clever and it's about time they got burnt. I liked the old days when teams gave youngsters & Mature ages a chance in the Rookie list. Only last year we picked up Treacy and in past years we had a lot of success with Anthony Grover, Roger Hayden, Sandilands, Paul Duffield, Barlow, Spurr.

Recent years we have just recycled existing players. Make a call on them and either stick with them on the main list or cut them. The amount of years a player like Tom North hung around on our list and not taking a punt on other overlooked talent like Kelly or Liam Ryan.
Crowden and Blakely you mean. Nah Greenwood would have been on the main list again anyway they just needed to hit the minimum list turn over required by the afl.

Pretty sure it's Blakely and Crowden.

Thing is clubs just put the duds on the delisted pile. Would we care if Crowden goes to Adelaide, for example?
Greenwood is a decent name and Gold Coast tried to tie toe around the rules, when they’re just freaking dumb. Delist a dud or experienced player that’s merely on the list for back up, not someone like Greenwood.

Last year there was a rule allowing clubs to demote players without re-drafting them as rookies. We used this to put Schultz on the rookie list - the real risk is he's now a free agent when out of contract.

I think clubs will exercise goodwill on fringe players. Greenwood is a geuine best 22 player so a club taking him as a DFA shouldn't surprise Gold Coast.

I find Gold Coast being willing to take this risk when they were prepared to salary dump McPherson in trade week bizarre. Im glad someone has taken Greenwood - they deserve it.

Also I'm pretty sure most players we've demoted to the rookie list were contracted. It's moving part of their salary outside the cap and getting an extra pick in the National Draft.

Yeah I understand there is a difference between COVID anti-vax and normal anti-can. I’d say they’d fall into 1 of 3 categories

My personal opinion is far more of the remaining anti vaccine people are in 1 and 2 then 3 like your wife but I can sort of understand her stance.

I do think the likelihood of long-term issues are currently a much smaller risk then the possible hit to your body if you get COVID unvaccinated but that’s again mainly personal opinion
Don’t know anyone who’s died yet or had severe reactions.
They do and have happened here in Perth.

How’s the sympathy on Gold Coast. If you favour a player and try to do deals in good faith for a delisting, then you deserve to be burned. Pathetic list management with the draft picks as well
Same inept club that delisted Lyons..

Delist someone like Atkins, Sexton, Fiorini. All average players. Inept club.
I'd take Fiorini and Sexton over Greenwood any day

Ratkins I 100% agree with

GC could end up ahead if they take Constable

Greenwood is 30 and won't be there for a tilt

Constable is younger and cost nothing, now they have the list spot for him

Piggy, mate, I do volunteer work and last week I was having a chat with some homeless anti-vax folk, one of whom told me that Dr Fauci is a murderer and that the vaccines are an attempt at population control. The other said he was just not that big on governments.

While I am certain that privilege - the "financial security" you reference - is one contributing factor to the thinking of a sizeable rump of the anti-vax community, being batshit crazy is waaaaay up there as well.

The common factor linking all the Instagram-addled "my body is a temple" types and the bluecollar rednecks hoisting up faux-gallows is a whole heap of magical thinking mixed in with some good, oldfashioned pigshit ignorance.

In reality through, especially here in WA, it's just not being able to see the effects of what we're vaccinating against.

When everybody's kid was covered in measles and suffering, we couldn't get inoculated quick enough. Same for all the poxes.

In the absence of a compelling imperative, we can allow room for our fears and misgivings to grow and grow. Especially if you are healthy and young and can afford to keep out of the way for a bit.

But * that for a game of soldiers. Evaluate the risks properly - factor in all your luck and good fortune - but spare a thought for my chums living rough, who lack the means to even be aware of all the risks, and who are way more vulnerable than they are aware. Spare a thought for the health workers who will be imperilled when the outbreak comes. Spare a thought for the young people who want to travel and see the world.

I understand the emotional response of apprehension - my autistic niece was born and diagnosed before the "studies" of that fraudulent clown Wakefield were found to have been flawed and were retracted. As a consequence, my wife and I lived in genuine fear each time we gave our children MMR vaccines.

I get the fear. But take a ******* look around. How many millions of people have been Covid-19 vaccinated?

Yeah I understand there is a difference between COVID anti-vax and normal anti-can. I’d say they’d fall into 1 of 3 categories

The bolded bit. I still have overseas staff unable to complete a full day of work (at a desk job) due to ongoing issues from contracting COVID. Not just lung related either, persistent migraines, dizzy spells, blurred vision.

And that's not to mention the amount of people we've lost, be it direct employees, or their friends and families.

(Factory in indo, massive team in the philippines). We've really been lucky here in oz, and Vic and NSW are still counted as lucky compared to the majority of the world.

On a personal note, I'm in a high-risk category if I do contract, so went for the vaccine the moment was available. I'm generally risk averse, and weigh up risk versus reward, and the extremely low chance of side-effects from the vaccine vs the very real side-effects from the virus? Simple really.

I'm also on the opposite side of the conspiracy though. Governments don't want people to get the vaccine, as it is helping cull a large aging population, as well as those of a low socio-economic status. Means they have to pay less in pensions. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back