Oppo Camp Non-Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so. The media didn't jump on board with Richmond until the very end of the season. Even though they'd been excellent pretty much all year. The media are like opposition supporters in that regard; they'll predict a collapse of Melbourne or St.Kilda first, and then go mysteriously quiet if they were proven wrong. Same as us in 2007, the Dogs in 2016, Richmond last year. No reason to alter a happy formula.

I wouldn't say Richmond were excellent during H&A, they were definitely good but had an easy draw while blowing a lot of tight games and turning in some shocking performances like the game in Adelaide vs Adelaide or the first St Kilda game.

I wouldn't say Richmond were excellent during H&A, they were definitely good but had an easy draw while blowing a lot of tight games and turning in some shocking performances like the game in Adelaide vs Adelaide or the first St Kilda game.

I would. They finished 3rd on the ladder after the home and away season, winning the same amount of games as Adelaide and Geelong, being a massive 2 points behind them. Their form was pretty consistent. It’s just no one noticed until the finals.

I would. They finished 3rd on the ladder after the home and away season, winning the same amount of games as Adelaide and Geelong, being a massive 2 points behind them. Their form was pretty consistent. It’s just no one noticed until the finals.
I'm surprised you would regard a season worse than ours as an excellent one, considering how critical you were of Geelong during the year - to be honest I wouldn't regard either our or Richmonds H&A season as excellent, that's far too strong a term in my opinion for good but flawed seasons.

Probably the closest to an excellent season was Adelaide: 7-3 vs top 8 sides, while Geelong were 4-4-1 and Richmond were 4-4. Funnily enough Adelaide in '17 were quite like Geelong in '16 where a patchy record against the bottom 10 (8-3-1) was probably the biggest knock on the H&A season. It also didn't help that the last two games of the season for them were losses to other top 8 sides, they went into those two games with a 7-1 record against the top 8.

Last edited:
"sources say" is not a legit reference. Only "source" that counts now is when VicPol officially speak, or charge anyone.

Journos going too quick to produce a narrative here, which they have already done by referring to "mental health" for Mark.
The headline and article together constitute an unequivocal claim that the raid was part of a drug investigation.
The evidence given in support of this claim is unsourced and, to the ordinary reader, unverifiable.
It is up to each reader to believe or disbelieve the claim either absolutely or provisionally, or to reserve judgement pending further information.

I don't think so. The media didn't jump on board with Richmond until the very end of the season.
True dat, but it just shows they are mostly clueless as the rest of us sometimes. IIRC they were really backing Adelaide for most of the season, but once the Tiger train looked like a good thing they all jumped on the bandwagon.

I'm surprised you would regard our season as even better than an excellent one, considering how critical you were of it - to be honest I wouldn't regard either our or Richmonds H&A season as excellent, that's far too strong a term in my opinion for good but flawed seasons.

I'm surprised anything I said would be remembered because there wasn't much of it. I barely comment on the post match threads. Like everyone else I was probably critical of the horrible three losses early on. And I remain critical of the direction our recruiting and list management has taken, as well as some of the players in the team and the preferential treatment they receive at selection. But aside from our own prejudices and biases, finishing top 4 and especially top 2 can't be any less than pretty damn good - or even excellent - no matter what individual queries you have.

Raid on Mark 'Bomber' Thompson's home part of drug trafficking investigation

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/r...rafficking-investigation-20180109-h0fgr1.html

Peptides? Fake tan? Weight reduction?

DisguisedGiddyHeron-max-1mb.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised anything I said would be remembered because there wasn't much of it. I barely comment on the post match threads. Like everyone else I was probably critical of the horrible three losses early on. And I remain critical of the direction our recruiting and list management has taken, as well as some of the players in the team and the preferential treatment they receive at selection. But aside from our own prejudices and biases, finishing top 4 and especially top 2 can't be any less than pretty damn good - or even excellent - no matter what individual queries you have.
I suppose my distinction is that I don't necessarily regard any finishing position as having inherent value, it has to be about who you've beaten to get there and who you're above. So for example I would say it was more impressive for St Kilda to finish first in 2009 in front of very strong Geelong, Doggies, Collingwood and Adelaide teams than for Adelaide to finish first in 2017 in front of teams that are comparably pedestrian.

I suppose my distinction is that I don't necessarily regard any finishing position as having inherent value, it has to be about who you've beaten to get there and who you're above. So for example I would say it was more impressive for St Kilda to finish first in 2009 in front of very strong Geelong, Doggies, Collingwood and Adelaide teams than for Adelaide to finish first in 2017 in front of teams that are comparably pedestrian.

Perhaps. No doubt the mere fact that St.Kilda won 20 games versus Adelaide's 15 illustrates that as well. The bottom line is though the premierships are all worth the same.

Perhaps. No doubt the mere fact that St.Kilda won 20 games versus Adelaide's 15 illustrates that as well. The bottom line is though the premierships are all worth the same.
That change of subject was somehow both sudden and expected. But I appreciate that your singular focus remains consistent if nothing else - and ultimately its the premiership that makes 2017 a year to remember for Richmond fans, because I'd be shocked if it was the H&A that contented them (with the caveat that I suppose it was still an improvement on recent years).

That change of subject was somehow both sudden and expected. But I appreciate that your singular focus remains consistent if nothing else - and ultimately its the premiership that makes 2017 a year to remember for Richmond fans, because I'd be shocked if it was the H&A that contented them (with the caveat that I suppose it was still an improvement on recent years).

I've got no doubt they crept up on even their fans. They won the same number of games in 2015, but they just looked stronger this year. Even before they really hit form late in the season. I thought they were in a similar position to Adelaide in that sense - clearly improved, but were never going to be trusted until they actually performed under finals pressure. With good justification too. Of course I thought Adelaide would be the ones to do that and Richmond would fall short. Ended up being the other way around.

I've got no doubt they crept up on even their fans. They won the same number of games in 2015, but they just looked stronger this year. Even before they really hit form late in the season. I thought they were in a similar position to Adelaide in that sense - clearly improved, but were never going to be trusted until they actually performed under finals pressure. With good justification too. Of course I thought Adelaide would be the ones to do that and Richmond would fall short. Ended up being the other way around.
I forget which round it was but some time mid-late in the season Vdubs suggested it might be their year and although it seemed unlikely I agreed to an extent.

For whatever reason I never trusted Adelaide. Probably because a bit like us when they were challenged they looked incredibly shaky and it just looked like a team missing that real killer edge. All season long I thought Sydney were going to be the premiers though, so what would I know? They would have looked more deserving as well, imo.

2 shockers but otherwise a very good season, and an EXCELLENT FINALS series, "when it counts"

DM was 'at his best' in Junk Time all season, very lucky to have a brownlow and a norm smith due to this. No Dangerfield suspension and a fit Ablett this year and hes 3rd in the Brownlow. Rance BOG by a mile when the game was hot in the Grand Final.
One thing he also got was the "star hype"
That passage of play they gushed over with Stewart in the final... Stewart actually out bodied him and did a great job to spoil, then got a cruel bounce where the ball went straight into Martins hands, the fend was nothing like they made it... Stewarts balance is off as he is changing direction... Martin takes off and throws it on the boot... you can see off the boot the kick is an absolute mongrel.. it bounces infront of the target and then Jack gets a bloody perfect bounce and it's in his hands and they catch Prestia cheating to the square Josh Jenkins style..

You'd think it was the most amazing 1 on 1 play of the year listening to the commentary
It was a scrappy fortunate contest that on plenty of other nights would have gone the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back