Oppo Camp Non-Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m just happy (as long as we win the next two) that we might be approaching the finals from a different perspective, both as a team and a supporter base.

No more entitlement of being top two and having a double chance. No more whinging about the ground we are ‘forced to play at’, no more fear of a 1 game in 3-4 week situation, no more expectation that we’re a champion team.

Rather, we go in with daring and excitement. We’re the written off underdog. We have a couple of champions and a lot of untried inconsistent players who have failed time and time again under pressure. We’ve really got nothing to lose from scraping into the eight.

Hardly anyone (apart from the team and us hopeless supporters) really thinks we should be there.

Every time we face a team across the oval, lined up side by side, the other team will look at us smugly, knowing that they are the favourite

All I can say is that we are in a unique situation to say F@ck that.

Let’s upset the status quo and do some damage. Let’s make the supporters of these favoured teams cry. Let’s make them hate us even more.

All I can say is that we are in a unique situatioLet’s upset the status quo and do some damage. Let’s make the supporters of these favoured teams cry. Let’s make them hate us even more.

Well said.

It’s time this club overperformed expectations in a final for once. I can’t even remember the last time we did that. To put it in golfing terms, all our finals of late have been either “to par” (we’ve won finals we were expected to win) or, more frequently, below par (we’ve lost games we were expected to win). We haven’t had an better-than-par (winning a game we were expected to lose) final in an eternity. Last years semi against the Swans comes closest but it was still our home game and we had finished well above them on the ladder; that was an even money game imo. This despite the fact that underdog finals wins have been increasingly common in recent years.

Well said.

It’s time this club overperformed expectations in a final for once. I can’t even remember the last time we did that. To put it in golfing terms, all our finals of late have been either “to par” (we’ve won finals we were expected to win) or, more frequently, below par (we’ve lost games we were expected to win). We haven’t had an better-than-par (winning a game we were expected to lose) final in an eternity. Last years semi against the Swans comes closest but it was still our home game and we had finished well above them on the ladder; that was an even money game imo. This despite the fact that underdog finals wins have been increasingly common in recent years.

Maybe for the Dogs in 2016, although that dissipated with every passing week that year once the finals started.

Jesse Hogan has scans on a sore foot today - it was an issue that troubled him during yesterdays match.

Be interesting to see how those scans go and if he is passed fit to play - as a club we know very well how troubling foot issues can be, and they aren't something you can necessarily play through

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m just happy (as long as we win the next two) that we might be approaching the finals from a different perspective, both as a team and a supporter base.

No more entitlement of being top two and having a double chance. No more whinging about the ground we are ‘forced to play at’, no more fear of a 1 game in 3-4 week situation, no more expectation that we’re a champion team.

Rather, we go in with daring and excitement. We’re the written off underdog. We have a couple of champions and a lot of untried inconsistent players who have failed time and time again under pressure. We’ve really got nothing to lose from scraping into the eight.

Hardly anyone (apart from the team and us hopeless supporters) really thinks we should be there.

Every time we face a team across the oval, lined up side by side, the other team will look at us smugly, knowing that they are the favourite

All I can say is that we are in a unique situation to say F@ck that.

Let’s upset the status quo and do some damage. Let’s make the supporters of these favoured teams cry. Let’s make them hate us even more.

That's a great post that should be read to the boys in the pre game buildup should we get to play a final.

:thumbsu:

Jesse Hogan has scans on a sore foot today - it was an issue that troubled him during yesterdays match.

Be interesting to see how those scans go and if he is passed fit to play - as a club we know very well how troubling foot issues can be, and they aren't something you can necessarily play through
I suspect the cub will take a very caution approach to him now, and rightfully so knowing how quickly foot soreness can potentially escalate.

s**t timing for the club too

That's a great post that should be read to the boys in the pre game buildup should we get to play a final.

:thumbsu:
By now, I would hope that the boys know this.

I honestly feel like we're a fairly disliked club nowadays. 'Cheating', 'ducking', 'whinging coach', 'unfair home ground advantage', 'waste of money developing the ground' etc etc...

We get smashed at the MRP, we get f*cked via umpiring. The media doesn't think much of us. The narrative is that Gary is selfish and bruise-free, Danger has an ego, Scott is too demonstrative.

It literally is us against the world.

So lets be the bad guys.

By now, I would hope that the boys know this.

I honestly feel like we're a fairly disliked club nowadays. 'Cheating', 'ducking', 'whinging coach', 'unfair home ground advantage', 'waste of money developing the ground' etc etc...

We get smashed at the MRP, we get f*cked via umpiring. The media doesn't think much of us. The narrative is that Gary is selfish and bruise-free, Danger has an ego, Scott is too demonstrative.

It literally is us against the world.

So lets be the bad guys.

Geelong are boring & infuriating these days. Every other team in the comp has been our regular season bitch at one point or other in the last 15 years, save for Collingwood (though getting them in that GF probably didn't endear us to them). And we've owned more than our fair share of teams in finals over the years. And there's nothing exciting about Geelong winning for the media - a Geelong loss is always about how good the opposition was and a Geelong win is always about how hard done by the opposition was.

The fans are tired of Geelong being near the top while they languish (save for the Hawks). All this sort of talk 'Cheating', 'ducking', 'whinging coach', 'unfair home ground advantage', 'waste of money developing the ground' from opposition fans is just a thin veneer that covers their true feelings.

They want Ablett to retire early. They want to see Danger get rubbed out. They want to see Selwood get smashed and Hawkins get rough treatment from the umpires. They want Geelong to stop finding decent talent in the back-end of the draft.

Everyone's waiting for us to bottom out. I don't see it happening any time soon.

* 'em.

Last edited:
Geelong are boring & infuriating these days. Every other team in the comp has been our regular season bitch at one point or other in the last 15 years, save for Collingwood (though getting them in that GF probably didn't endear us to them). And we've owned more than our fair share of teams in finals over the years. And there's nothing exciting about Geelong winning for the media - a Geelong loss is always about how good the opposition was and a Geelong win is always about how hard done by the opposition was.

The fans are tired of Geelong being near the top while they languish (save for the Hawks). All this sort of talk 'Cheating', 'ducking', 'whinging coach', 'unfair home ground advantage', 'waste of money developing the ground' from opposition fans is just a thin veneer that covers their true feelings.

They want Ablett to retire early. They want to see Danger get rubbed out. They want to see Selwood get smashed and Hawkins get rough treatment from the umpires. They want Geelong to stop finding decent talent in the back-end of the draft.

Everyone's waiting for us to bottom out. I don't see it happening any time soon.

**** 'em.
How do you see us once we 're minus Harry, Jelwood, Hawkins and GAJ over the next 2-3 years?

How do you see us once we 're minus Harry, Jelwood, Hawkins and GAJ over the next 2-3 years?

I think we'll be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Harry has basically been gone all year. We've got a fair few midfielders who are playing elsewhere at the moment, Hawkins is a worry but we've also done reasonably well 'without him' (through form, injury, suspension, double-teaming etc).

Importantly, our defence is good (and reasonably young), our midfielders playing elsewhere are learning from the best, and the 'no dickheads' policy seems to be being upheld.

I don't think we're going to be a dominant force by any means, but we're not going to become the Saints, Freo, Bulldogs etc and certainly not Carlton.

Last edited:
I think we'll be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Harry has basically been gone all year. We've got a fair few midfielders who are playing elsewhere at the moment, Hawkins is a worry but we've also done reasonably well 'without him' (through form, injury, suspension, double-teaming etc).

I don't think we're going to be a dominant force by any means, but we're not going to become the Saints, Freo, Bulldogs etc and certainly not Carlton.
That's certainly true historically- we never seem to bottom out.
Sav might become some sort of special player.
I am a bit concerned that the players we keep hoping will come to the rescue are always injured- Cockatoo, McCarthy, Menzel to a lesser extent. I'm hoping Sav and Parfitt are not to be in that category.
Also hope we can keep Menzel - reports tonight that Saints are talking to his management.

That's certainly true historically- we never seem to bottom out.
Sav might become some sort of special player.
I am a bit concerned that the players we keep hoping will come to the rescue are always injured- Cockatoo, McCarthy, Menzel to a lesser extent. I'm hoping Sav and Parfitt are not to be in that category.
Also hope we can keep Menzel - reports tonight that Saints are talking to his management.

I don't even think of Menzel, McCarthy and Cockatoo when I think of our future, to be honest. Menzel is a week to week proposition, McCarthy is surely delisted this season or next and Cockatoo won't be far behind that. Great talents, all of them, but no durability.

I think Parfitt will stay on the park and improve. I like the look of Jack Henry (hopefully his brother comes along to the Cats too). Menegola is in career best form at the moment and might still have some improvement left in him. I think Parsons will eventually come good. Fogarty looks good early. Narkle too. Zac Guthrie needs a few more preseasons. If Tim Kelly stays with us, all the better.

The other piece of the puzzle that needs to stay in place, is Stephen Wells and recruiting department. While he's obviously very highly rated by many, I think his importance is sometimes understated.

RE: Menzel and the Saints. I'd say that's lunacy - there's also talk of them trading for a busted up Hannebery. I think this year's offer might be a little better for Dan, but it really depends on the truth behind the groin issue that's kept him out for half the season.

Last edited:
Who is going to be the one tapping Scott on the shoulder.
It will come at some stage..eventually. Not many coaches walk on their own. I hope he stays for a lot longer yet. I reckon he's done a fantastic job transitioning a super team and still remaining relevant for so long. I still remember a lot of fans on this very site saying we were dead and buried at the end of 2010 when Gaz and Bomber left. Well I've had a shitload of great days/nights at the footy since then...including a flag.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back