Oppo Camp Non-Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
482499_32ebcbcc9d586ce3296c35e5ee3e17ed.jpeg

Have virtually traded in nearly the whole defence. Plowman, Marchbank, Docherty, Mullett, Jones. As well as No.1 Weitering; who looks lost.
Have not much class or quality in the midfield, where Murphy and Thomas turn 31 this year. Curnow is nearly 30 as is Kruezer, Wright and Casboult.
Have not much in the way of tall forwards with only really CCurnow looking promising.

The Blues haven’t even turned for the home stretch yet by the looks of it.

If North and Carlton are aloud to get away with their jumper and shorts combo tonight, I hope we are sending a please explain to the AFL on Monday, as I don’t see any reason why we can’t wear our navy shorts going forward.

482499_32ebcbcc9d586ce3296c35e5ee3e17ed.jpeg

Have virtually traded in nearly the whole defence. Plowman, Marchbank, Docherty, Mullett, Jones. As well as No.1 Weitering; who looks lost.
Have not much class or quality in the midfield, where Murphy and Thomas turn 31 this year. Curnow is nearly 30 as is Kruezer, Wright and Casboult.
Have not much in the way of tall forwards with only really CCurnow looking promising.

The Blues haven’t even turned for the home stretch yet by the looks of it.

Carlton is what I think of when you hear posters around here bleat about rebuilding with youth.

Carlton is what I think of when you hear posters around here bleat about rebuilding with youth.
It’s actually a farce. Have been rebuilding for virtually the whole 21st century except for when Judd carried them... and they are no better now than they were when we thrashed them in 2007. They’ve rebuilt at least twice since then.

We’ve missed finals once and have turned over 85% of the list since 2011... whilst being better all through out.

Lol at all you suckers watching the dribble that is the footy tonight, the Wire is on Boxsets.. Such a well written and brilliantly woven show.

Shame it's onto season 4 at the moment so anyone that hasn't seen it can't just jump in.

I know its never going to happen but if AFL want to get their competition - as an elite - exciting - watchable competition - then they knock 6 sides on the head straight away

If you had a 12 team comp ( ok Geel is safe - so its easy for me to say ) - then AFL the whole box and dice would be 1000 times more exciting than the present 1 sided shiit - with absolute garbage teams - with appalling skills running around at present

In a word - unwatchable - make it 2 words - unwatchable junk

Their current problem is that most of their more experienced players are very ordinary and a lot of the kids aren't ready yet. Many of those older players have been recycled from other clubs too. It's another example of how difficult it is to rebuild when you don't have at least a few older players around to support the kids coming through during their developing years. Perhaps why sides rebuilding from so little (given their previous group wasn't much chop) should invest some of their trade capital in recruiting experienced players of some quality rather than going primarily for youth and then trying to make up the difference with recycled players from other clubs.

I know its never going to happen but if AFL want to get their competition - as an elite - exciting - watchable competition - then they knock 6 sides on the head straight away

If you had a 12 team comp ( ok Geel is safe - so its easy for me to say ) - then AFL the whole box and dice would be 1000 times more exciting than the present 1 sided shiit - with absolute garbage teams - with appalling skills running around at present

The comp would collapse ...
its built on tv product ..and it couldn't cope with 50% less product. Its the same argument based on the number games played ..ask the players if they would like a 15 game season ..oh yes ... great. We will take 30% of your money ... ohh no we cant do that. What about the grounds that we play at .. the justification for rebuilds and new stands would diminish... then you also would have the supporter who you ostracise.

No we have a McDonalds comp ... and they didn't get where they are by having the best burgers and fewer shops.

There are 17 examples each year we can use to demonstrate failure... Has Carlton ever tried to rebuild with youth? The concept of rebuilding these days is almost too difficult for any club to contemplate until they are forced to. Its takes far too long. I wonder what it would be like if we really opened it up. No draft . No cap. Do we think Carlton would be a sit on their hands type and just let themselves be rubbish collectors?

The worst thing that happened was the AFL forcing in GWS and Gold Coast, 2 sides that no one is ever going to care about, giving them the access to the top end young talent over a few years just thinned the quality of the draft for the rest of the teams.

It forced teams to look outside the box a bit and therefore while players that have come in are "adequate" they are never going to be elite.. Which hurts the overall standard

The worst thing that happened was the AFL forcing in GWS and Gold Coast, 2 sides that no one is ever going to care about, giving them the access to the top end young talent over a few years just thinned the quality of the draft for the rest of the teams.

It forced teams to look outside the box a bit and therefore while players that have come in are "adequate" they are never going to be elite.. Which hurts the overall standard

Perfect summary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's so amazing listening to Andy Maher bang on about the 20 first round picks Carlton have or whatever it is. Dude 80% are them are GWS trash.

It's so amazing listening to Andy Maher bang on about the 20 first round picks Carlton have or whatever it is. Dude 80% are them are GWS trash.
Well that is what happens when you cheat, Carlton are still paying for the salary cap cheating of the 90's and before. So Sad!!!!!

It is when all you do is rely on those draft picks and don't do anything after they get through the door.

For me it's one component, and a vital one, but you still need development with those players, and you need patience to see them come to fruition. Which as we showed in 2007, and Richmond showed last year, can take 6-7 years. It doesn't, and is never going to happen in a season or two.

Draft picks - important.
Using them well - even more important.
Developing those players once they arrive - also important.
Patience with the development of those players - I suspect far more important than we realise.

I'd also argue that every single team is rebuilding to a degree every year. I don't see why keeping your draft picks and using them in a sensible manner equates to plummeting down the ladder and doing what Carlton, Melbourne, and (until recently) Richmond did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back