Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metallica got way slower after cutting their hair.
Lewis Hamilton has got even faster since he's grown his.
I think the Guthrie thing though is more cause it looks stupid. Not cause it's long.
Will I won't I,no it's a bit early hot-cross buns have only just hit the supermarket shelves.And it's the non Geelong thread best not derailed by me.

The argument is a silly excuse to try and justify haircuts you like.
There are some players who I think would look and possibly play better with a haircut. True.
You disagree that it would have any impact on their playing.
Most would agree with you.
It's not about haircuts I like, it's more about the lack of haircuts I don't like.

Will I won't I,no it's a bit early hot-cross buns have only just hit the supermarket shelves.And it's the non Geelong thread best not derailed by me.
True.
Apart from Guth and Blic, some of the players we discussed have been non Geelong....

There are some players who I think would look and possibly play better with a haircut. True.
It's not about haircuts I like, it's more about the lack of haircuts I don't like.

So long as you recognise that it is about your personal preference/taste then there's nowhere else to go from here.

The bigger issue is when people pretend that certain haircuts or clothes or whatever are inherently more appropriate than others. It just ties back to very recent ideas of aesthetics, most of which the worst kind of dandy is to blame for.

What about Josh Walker.
Was promising with hair, then floundered without hair, then enjoyed a purple patch with injected hair.
I'm not anti-hair, just the voluminous quantity that some players run around with on top of their heads. When it's saturated, surely it's heavier. When shaved off, surely there is a liberating effect in terms of speed as well.Some players make the comment themselves. It is not a dogma, but just putting the suggestion out there. but think i've exhausted my tickets on this topic.

I'm not anti-hair, just the voluminous quantity that some players run around with on top of their heads. When it's saturated, surely it's heavier. When shaved off, surely there is a liberating effect in terms of speed as well.Some players make the comment themselves. It is not a dogma, but just putting the suggestion out there. but think i've exhausted my tickets on this topic.
Yeah I know your mainly mucking around. I am too. It's a bit of fun in the off season.

Isn't it about releasing heat?

A large proportion of body is lost via the head. ( Beanies anyone?). If you have a tangle of long hair full of water it has to place you at at disadvantage. Early season in particular.

A large proportion of body is lost via the head. ( Beanies anyone?). If you have a tangle of long hair full of water it has to place you at at disadvantage. Early season in particular.
That too.
I guess some would argue the wet hair could be protective during those hot, sunny preseason games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The heat loss through the head thing is a bit of a modern myth. You lose about the same amount as anywhere else exposed

The heat loss through the head thing is a bit of a modern myth. You lose about the same amount as anywhere else exposed

Thanks for that,

"They tested subjects in cold water." Not quite what AFL is. but even so......

What about when you want to cool off?

"It’s true that certain parts of the body —" the ears, nose, cheeks, hands and feet — have special blood vessels that control cooling and warming".

- Most of those sit near the head.

"Special machines " (what the?) help overheated athletes cool their core temperature and recover from heavy exercise by dunking their hands in icy water."

-give me a water spray fan any day . {I think we talk about match days here}.Or not sort me out.

"In 2006 ( you don't think info beyond 2006 does better? ), scientists revisited the question. They tested subjects in cold water with and without wetsuits, sometimes with their heads out of water and sometimes with their heads submerged. They found that the head accounts for about 7 percent of the body’s surface area, and the heat loss is fairly proportional to the amount of skin that’s showing".

I could have figured out that the head is less than 10% of skin area without putting the subjects through the cold water stuff. Did those divers have fully bare skins? or had wet suits ? . Let me know.

The head is probably 7% of the body surface area. Thats the starting point for a discussion.

But....... Why do we pull on a beanie in July when we have the full clobber on? ...........................................sorry just personal experience.

Last edited:

How do you see a haircut directly improving a player's kicking, handballing, tackling or decision making?

Thanks for that,

"They tested subjects in cold water." Not quite what AFL is. but even so......

What about when you want to cool off?

"It’s true that certain parts of the body —" the ears, nose, cheeks, hands and feet — have special blood vessels that control cooling and warming".

- Most of those sit near the head.

"Special machines " (what the?) help overheated athletes cool their core temperature and recover from heavy exercise by dunking their hands in icy water."

-give me a water spray fan any day . {I think we talk about match days here}.Or not sort me out.

"In 2006 ( you don't think info beyond 2006 does better? ), scientists revisited the question. They tested subjects in cold water with and without wetsuits, sometimes with their heads out of water and sometimes with their heads submerged. They found that the head accounts for about 7 percent of the body’s surface area, and the heat loss is fairly proportional to the amount of skin that’s showing".

I could have figured out that the head is less than 10% of skin area without putting the subjects through the cold water stuff. Did those divers have fully bare skins? or had wet suits ? . Let me know.

The head is probably 7% of the body surface area. Thats the starting point for a discussion.

But....... Why do we pull on a beanie in July when we have the full clobber on? ...........................................sorry just personal experience.
Yeah I'm not a scientist but I think the set up for test work was to measure heat loss rate from specific body areas not measure surface area. The areas by count might mostly be on the head but by surface area they would not be. Not sure how the human body will have changed since 2006.

Like I said, I'm no scientist but I'm going to go along with the ones that are when they say that the head isn't an especially high source of heat loss. Maybe that just fits my personal experience because I've never really worn beanies.

Yeah I'm not a scientist but I think the set up for test work was to measure heat loss rate from specific body areas not measure surface area. The areas by count might mostly be on the head but by surface area they would not be. Not sure how the human body will have changed since 2006.

Like I said, I'm no scientist but I'm going to go along with the ones that are when they say that the head isn't an especially high source of heat loss. Maybe that just fits my personal experience because I've never really worn beanies.

Fair enough. We agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back