Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton FC, as you know is weak as piss. It was deliberate, it was intentional, and it caused injury. He should get 2 weeks, plus whatever the injured player misses. at least 5. But that wont fit with the AFL's narrative. White powder and deliberate thuggery is ok, if you are part of the scheme to expand in to sydney.

Carlton FC, as you know is weak as piss. It was deliberate, it was intentional, and it caused injury. He should get 2 weeks, plus whatever the injured player misses. at least 5. But that wont fit with the AFL's narrative. White powder and deliberate thuggery is ok, if you are part of the scheme to expand in to sydney.
Turn it up. It was a bump. A legal bump that wasn't high.

People have tried to tell me the game has turned soft then want Mumford suspended for that. No suspension play on.

Soldo was a reportable offence. He deliberately elbowed Worpel in the head. He's lucky it wasn't Cale Morton or he'd have received 2 or 3 weeks.

Varcoe chose to bump and took his opponent high. Unfortunately for him that's a suspension.

I have no problems with Thomas being sent to the tribunal.

2. Rough Conduct (Bumps to the Body) It should be noted that even if the rule relating to high bumps does not apply (for example in the case of a bump to the body), a Player may still be guilty of Rough Conduct if his conduct was unreasonable in the circumstances. In determining whether any bump was unreasonable in the circumstances, without limitation, regard may be had to whether:

» The degree of force applied by the person bumping was excessive for the situation;
» The Player being bumped was in a vulnerable position; and
» The Player could reasonably expect the contact having regard to his involvement in play or ability to influence the contest.

Doesn't satisfy 1 or 3 imo.
I am happy with that being a perfectly legal bump. Sailing close to the wind, but not over the line.
I feel like I'm living in an insane asylum. Mumford leads with a swinging arms then knees him in the chest and breaks his ribs. It's not a bump, and even if it was, what would constitute excessive force? Heart failure?

First reaction watching it live was that Mumford had set out to hurt him and nothing on the replay changes that. Glad the AFL remains absolutely committed not to protecting players contesting the ball :thumbsu:

I feel like I'm living in an insane asylum. Mumford leads with a swinging arms then knees him in the chest and breaks his ribs. It's not a bump, and even if it was, what would constitute excessive force? Heart failure?

First reaction watching it live was that Mumford had set out to hurt him and nothing on the replay changes that. Glad the AFL remains absolutely committed not to protecting players contesting the ball :thumbsu:
Just re-watched again and see none of that. He does swing the arm somewhat but don’t think it makes profound impact.

Oh and TJ, the guy above you sees it this way too so clearly a polarising incident

Devon Smith out for the year with a knee injury. Apparently he also has a PCL injury that he has carried from his GWS days that will require surgery as well. I wonder if we ever did a medical on him at the time as I know a lot of people were disappointed we didn't go harder at him after his year with the bombers last year.

Mumford has form. He goes out to hurt. One day it will bite him back hard.
I’m just staggered he’s allowed to get away with it time and time again

Back in the 80’s at least they had long memories and gave a bit of karma back. mummy is a deadset thug that does it enough to stay in the rules but still has the outcome he wants ...a injuried player

I loath him

He didn't even attempt to bump.

If you've ever played American football, or have watched it for period of time, you know when a guy is putting a hurt on another who's already down. The body language is fairly clear and the timing is as well. You want to talk about the word 'intent'? Hard tackle, in the ribs like Roughhead in GF vs Swans? or someone on Didak early in a game, that made him very contact shy for the remainder...I have no problems with.
I may be biased though. I have thought Mumford was a throwback thug even before Duncan's concussion. I saw Mumford crash a marking contest, clearly late (I mean very, very late), from behind the opposition player(might have even been vs Cats) with knee first right into the back of the guy. Remember at the time thinking about how much damage that could have done. To my eye it was as big a cheap shot as that Collingwood player in 2011 GF drop his knee hard into Stokes' butt/upper hamstring who was on the ground after the whistle.
It underscores the loss of being held accountable to retribution by the receiver's teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't even attempt to bump.
Yep. Clumsy effort for a 'bump' that more ran through someone with his knee. Murphy outstretched and vulnerable and couldn't protect himself at all. Very relieved Murphy didn't get a punctured lung or other internal damage from this dirty, pathetic act. I reckon it's worse than what happened with Duncan.

Last edited:
Lewis is trying to argue Thomas didn't mean to call the umpire a cheat. Said he didn't know what he was saying.

the-best-of-seems-legit-photos-on-the-internet-02.jpg

Devon Smith out for the year with a knee injury. Apparently he also has a PCL injury that he has carried from his GWS days that will require surgery as well. I wonder if we ever did a medical on him at the time as I know a lot of people were disappointed we didn't go harder at him after his year with the bombers last year.
Devon Smith gone for the season.
Sorry about that Chief, missed it by that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back