Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton & Docherty can't take a trick - repeated ACL injuries on the same knee. Good luck to him in his recovery

Carlton has suffered a massive blow to its 2019 campaign, with co-captain Sam Docherty suffering another ACL injury.

Docherty missed all of 2018, after rupturing the same ACL on the eve of last season.

It’s a sour note to end an unsuccessful year on for the Blues, who only won two games and claimed the wooden spoon.

It’s understood Docherty injured his ACL at training on Monday morning.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/aw...n/news-story/b2ec65e8cfbfe45c480c43d8bec6598c

As a ignorant Victorian I have had this discussion before ... and while I agree the R word is in both sports acronym .. I think to those who know more about those sports and live the difference have deemed them as a separate sport based on as much history as how they are played or what they are called. Lets face it .. if someone said there is no difference between FA and AFL just because they both have football in their names ..we would be outraged and dismissive of such dumbness.

Personally I dislike how the term AFL has come to represent our sport .. it means lower levels have to play the sport AFL while their comp may be GFL or what ever. .. and I suspect there would be some up north that would hate that they still have the R word in their comp.. as it stands for all the snobbery of the private school system that broke away from ..it tries hard to separate themselves by almost ignoring the R word and only referring to themselves as League (which make little sense when the same word is used for comps for football to basketball etc...) but I suspect like a lot of emotional things logic is not the first box being ticked

Anyway ... so big Blake played a sport where they progressed down field by make graduated distances ... I think they are called downs ... or is that a different sport ;) lets hope he can progress and get used to football played on an oval...

Well said TC!

League/NRL hate their football code being called Rugby, + Rugby/Union hate their football code being mixed up with League/NRL!

Last edited:
bit tough for Docherty, very good player

time to load up on Carlton for the spoon

Need a saver on the Suns I think..

Suns have a much better age profile.

They picked up a lot of mature age players compared to Carlton and even though guys like GHS and Murdoch are spuds they are much better than 20yo Carlton players.

Think its also more important for GC to win games and remain competitive to keep players and supporters so they will probably play their mature guys while Carlton are more set on development.

GC being $1.50 and Carlton $3.75 for the spoon i think they should both be around $2.20, especially with Docherty now being out for the season.

Adelaide will be very happy with themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You hold onto your left nut - we're ok for rucks. Last 3 premiers had rucks no better than ours.
The difference is West Coast have 2 average rucks, but played both of them and worked over their opponent.

We have 3 average rucks, and we only seem to play one of them at a time. Or like in the match against WCE, we played none of them.

Last year showed you either have one elite ruck (Collingwood, Melbourne) or you have multiple average rucks (WCE) if you want midfield success.

The difference is West Coast have 2 average rucks, but played both of them and worked over their opponent.

We have 3 average rucks, and we only seem to play one of them at a time. Or like in the match against WCE, we played none of them.

Last year showed you either have one elite ruck (Collingwood, Melbourne) or you have multiple average rucks (WCE) if you want midfield success.
We have average to above average rucks. Getting them fit and well is the challenge.
We had that issue with Vardy too- look what he ended up with this year.
I have hopes still for Smith and Stanley. Still on our list, they just could do it next year.

Last edited:
For those who aren't smart enough to read thread topics...

here's a game for you...

Its called... "where did my posts go"

And your time starts...

NOW

GO Catters

Carlton & Docherty can't take a trick - repeated ACL injuries on the same knee. Good luck to him in his recovery

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/aw...n/news-story/b2ec65e8cfbfe45c480c43d8bec6598c

Leading on from this, discussion over who may replace him -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-11/waiting-for-goddard-why-bj-is-the-blues-best-bet

Docherty missed all '18 as well and looked good in the coaches box but if the Blues don't already have a player on the list to fill this role.

Goddard, no. Hibberd has always looked like a defender, not sure quite what happened between his draft year & now.

Leading on from this, discussion over who may replace him -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-11/waiting-for-goddard-why-bj-is-the-blues-best-bet

Docherty missed all '18 as well and looked good in the coaches box but if the Blues don't already have a player on the list to fill this role.

Goddard, no. Hibberd has always looked like a defender, not sure quite what happened between his draft year & now.
They might have left that rookie spot open for just this reason.
Then again, none of those listed will make up for what they have lost, so they might be better off getting in a younger player.

Talia to miss up to three months after knee procedure
By Nic Negrepontis 2 days ago
08PAAd18MT5573_1.JPG

Adelaide defender Daniel Talia will miss longer than expected after surgery to repair his left knee.

The 27-year-old won’t return to full training for 10-12 weeks according to the club’s website.

He is still expected to be ready to go come Round 1.

Talia needed the procedure after aggravating an old meniscus injury in his left knee.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/13/talia-to-miss-up-to-three-months-after-knee-procedure/

Talia to miss up to three months after knee procedure
By Nic Negrepontis 2 days ago
08PAAd18MT5573_1.JPG

Adelaide defender Daniel Talia will miss longer than expected after surgery to repair his left knee.

The 27-year-old won’t return to full training for 10-12 weeks according to the club’s website.

He is still expected to be ready to go come Round 1.

Talia needed the procedure after aggravating an old meniscus injury in his left knee.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/13/talia-to-miss-up-to-three-months-after-knee-procedure/
You mean that teams other than Geelong have players that get injured during the preseason, require surgery have delayed or no preseason or starts to the season proper?

You mean that teams other than Geelong have players that get injured during the preseason, require surgery have delayed or no preseason or starts to the season proper?

yes_of_course.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back