Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a break out season in 2018 this isn't what Majak or North needed - could be a slow recovery:

AFL star Majak Daw is in hospital after a serious incident on a Melbourne bridge on Monday night.
The North Melbourne star suffered a broken hip and other possible fractures. He is recovering in Royal Melbourne Hospital in a stable condition with non life-threatening injuries.

Daw, 27, was reportedly pulled from the Yarra River after a fall from the Bolte Bridge, in Melbourne’s Docklands precinct.

“Emergency services attended and located a man in the Yarra River. The man, aged in his 20s, was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries,” a police spokeswoman said, according to The Age.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...l/news-story/a1303dbd3b5d8981a14159c24ee27cff

Edit: at the time I posted this the additional/further information had not been released. Best wishes to Majak in his recovery and rehabilitation during this period and beyond.

While I believe there an element of benefit in addressing these issues as it can help those struggling to know they aren't alone & that mental health issues don't discriminate - now that the news has broken it's time for the media to back off and allow Majak, his family & friends and the North Melbourne Football Club time, space & privacy

Last edited:

Horrendous news that another human gets hurt like that.

Let’s hope the ambulance chasing journos back the * off him and let him tell his story if and when he’s ready.

Go Catters

Horrendous news that another human gets hurt like that.

Let’s hope the ambulance chasing journos back the **** off him and let him tell his story if and when he’s ready.

Go Catters
They didn’t go very hard with Hird’s suicide attempt earlier in the year, hopefully they back off too with this one.

Just terrible thinking about the situation

Bartel joins GWS!Macquarie Sports Radio - https://www.sportsradio.com.au/bartel-joins-gws/

Thought some might be interested. Honestly I'd have expected him in the footy dept somewhere. Good addition to any club though.

Might just be a cunning plot to get the inside running on how to win at the Cattery?
I suggest one have some hardware in the cabinet before going on another teams board and flinging poo. At least with something in said trophy cabinet we can respect that.

Good get for GWS- I mean actually having a triple premiership player at the club to show them how to perhaps win one...

And I’d say it’s good for Jimmy to experience outside the Cattery - for when he decided to come back

Go Catters

I suggest one have some hardware in the cabinet before going on another teams board and flinging poo. At least with something in said trophy cabinet we can respect that.

Good get for GWS- I mean actually having a triple premiership player at the club to show them how to perhaps win one...

And I’d say it’s good for Jimmy to experience outside the Cattery - for when he decided to come back

Go Catters
Surprised you saw it that way, I didn't think it could possibly be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most likely voluntary. BUT why didn't we nab him, WHY don't we have a footy person on the Board.
Could it be timing? If he wants that kind if role in high level admin, our board is controlled by the AFL and it's a simple process to appoint a board member.

My understanding is yours are elected and it might depend on an election and a vacancy? I'd guess a club stalwart would find it very easy to get member votes though.

He's only on the board of directors,it's not a coaching role,a couple of meetings a year,money for jam.
That's true but his role is Football Director. It's a bit more than just fronting up for board meetings.

Geelong triple premiership star and Brownlow medallist Jimmy Bartel will join the GWS Giants board as their football director.

Bartel will join the Giants board next year as football director but remain in Melbourne.

Could it be timing? If he wants that kind if role in high level admin, our board is controlled by the AFL and it's a simple process to appoint a board member.

My understanding is yours are elected and it might depend on an election and a vacancy? I'd guess a club stalwart would find it very easy to get member votes though.
Ah didn't know that you were still AFl 'directed'. Ours should be an elected Boards but we haven't had elections for a very long time- too expensive was one reason given.

Ah didn't know that you were still AFl 'directed'. Ours should be an elected Boards but we haven't had elections for a very long time- too expensive was one reason given.
Interesting but off topic.

We're very similar to the Swans and GC. The AFL have had the Swans licence since Edelsten.They do allow two member elected reps on their board.

Too soon for us I think. We have a lot of members whose primary support is another club. They're welcome at the footy but I'd like to think people voting were committed to us.

Does no elections mean your board is stable and closed to outsiders? That might explain it.

Interesting but off topic.

We're very similar to the Swans and GC. The AFL have had the Swans licence since Edelsten.They do allow two member elected reps on their board.

Too soon for us I think. We have a lot of members whose primary support is another club. They're welcome at the footy but I'd like to think people voting were committed to us.

Does no elections mean your board is stable and closed to outsiders? That might explain it.
Well our Board is stable in the corporate sense in that people don't turn over and they tend to recruit from within the tent. But given that we are a member based organization it could be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back