goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs

Classic example of the old "I didn't do nothing" shtick, which you just knew was not the whole story.

Anyone who carries on like the video in this story shows is really welcome to watch the footy at home in my opinion. Nobody (let alone children) should be subjected to witnessing such behaviour at what is supposed to be a family-friendly event.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Classic example of the old "I didn't do nothing" shtick, which you just knew was not the whole story.

Anyone who carries on like the video in this story shows is really welcome to watch the footy at home in my opinion. Nobody (let alone children) should be subjected to witnessing such behaviour at what is supposed to be a family-friendly event.
I don't find anything about any of that video or tweets offensive whatsoever.
Maybe I'm just insensitive or something.
I just don't get it.

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't find anything about any of that video or tweets offensive whatsoever.
Maybe I'm just insensitive or something.
I just don't get it.

You might not find it offensive but what about your wife/partner? What about your kids/nephews/nieces? Don't they deserve a day at the footy without a crazed aggressive swearing numbskull making them feel uncomfortable to the point where they give up their reserved seat and head up to the top level so they can watch without fear of being attacked?

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
You might not find it offensive but what about your wife/partner? What about your kids/nephews/nieces? Don't they deserve a day at the footy without a crazed aggressive swearing numbskull making them feel uncomfortable to the point where they give up their reserved seat and head up to the top level so they can watch without fear of being attacked?
Nup. Dunno about nephew, nieces, but wife kids would all laugh and they do.
That's how I carry on TBH, I try not to say the C word often but it certainly does slip out watching the footy.
Gotta remember one of those videos was making a GF. How would you act?
Was it really that bad?
As for the Selwood, French thing who cares?
But each to their own, we're all different and get offended by different things.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
We'd better be careful or we're at frightful risk of starting to expect civil behaviour...

I don't think this has anything to do with "PC" though. As the reports and other evidence indicates, this has nothing to do with targeted commentary and is just your good old fashioned loud ruffianism.

In a way it is a PC issue ... Im not a stringent PC type person..but there is a reason why PC started..its where it has lead to now with extreme interpretation thats an issue imo.... but this is not that. This is more why originally the orgins of PC go back to changing what was not just generally accepted but what had to be tolerated by others..whether they like it or not.

PC at its core was about changing community standards on behaviour. Smoking in a public area .. .."WHAT.. its my right to smoke".. is a part of the many changes that have happened in the last couple of decades. Obviously now its a health thing but passive smoke was not always accepted as a thing ...it was more I had the right to smoke and you just have to take it. In a time gone plenty smoked at the footy , and others had to put up with someone blowng smoke in ones direction...like it or not. It was decided that was no longer acceptable... and perhaps that makes modern society less tolerant ..but maybe there are reasons why some acts and some behaviours are not tolerated any more.

Whether this type of extreme barracking in the video was ever acceptable ..it should not be now. People are placed in seats , people have to sit near others. Would that behaviour be acceptable on public transport , in general public. Id argue its not really barracking anyway.. the social posts of that Pies fan were were negative towards others , not try to barrack for his team. Personally if someone is of extreme loudness and all they do is yell "Go Pies" .. then thats probably something I have to absorb. Its part of being at the ground. However , that type of agressive minimising hurled at opposition supporters and opposition players is not acceptable... in the modern day.

What those who whine about not being able to do this are really saying is that they fear the loss of their power. They fear the loss of their subjugation of others thru mob rule and bullying.. and just being at the football doesnt give anyone the right to go past normal acceptable standards. And if that was acceptable at any times in the past ..its certainly it is not now. Its a communal event ..which means we must abide by certain standards.. and that is not acceptable to anyone with standards that take into account how you affect those you are attending the game with.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
In a way it is a PC issue ... Im not a stringent PC type person..but there is a reason why PC started..its where it has lead to now with extreme interpretation thats an issue imo.... but this is not that. This is more why originally the orgins of PC go back to changing what was not just generally accepted but what had to be tolerated by others..whether they like it or not.

PC at its core was about changing community standards on behaviour. Smoking in a public area .. .."WHAT.. its my right to smoke".. is a part of the many changes that have happened in the last couple of decades. Obviously now its a health thing but passive smoke was not always accepted as a thing ...it was more I had the right to smoke and you just have to take it. In a time gone plenty smoked at the footy , and others had to put up with someone blowng smoke in ones direction...like it or not. It was decided that was no longer acceptable... and perhaps that makes modern society less tolerant ..but maybe there are reasons why some acts and some behaviours are not tolerated any more.

Whether this type of extreme barracking in the video was ever acceptable ..it should not be now. People are placed in seats , people have to sit near others. Would that behaviour be acceptable on public transport , in general public. Id argue its not really barracking anyway.. the social posts of that Pies fan were were negative towards others , not try to barrack for his team. Personally if someone is of extreme loudness and all they do is yell "Go Pies" .. then thats probably something I have to absorb. Its part of being at the ground. However , that type of agressive minimising hurled at opposition supporters and opposition players is not acceptable... in the modern day.

What those who whine about not being able to do this are really saying is that they fear the loss of their power. They fear the loss of their subjugation of others thru mob rule and bullying.. and just being at the football doesnt give anyone the right to go past normal acceptable standards. And if that was acceptable at any times in the past ..its certainly it is not now. Its a communal event ..which means we must abide by certain standards.. and that is not acceptable to anyone with standards.
I didn't find it extreme. Was excited about making a Granny and made a quick selfie video with his mate. Who really offended by that? Like actually offended?
The smoking thing yeah fair enough. Absolutely!.

Podsnap

All Australian
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

What those who whine about not being able to do this are really saying is that they fear the loss of their power. They fear the loss of their subjugation of others thru mob rule and bullying.. and just being at the football doesnt give anyone the right to go past normal acceptable standards. And if that was acceptable at any times in the past ..its certainly it is not now. Its a communal event ..which means we must abide by certain standards.. and that is not acceptable to anyone with standards that take into account how you affect those you are attending the game with.
Great post.

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont mind the loud barracking, but I dont see how 'F**k you ya F*****n C***s' is barracking. Ive felt intimidated at the footy by loud aggressive supporters before. It has stopped me from going to certain games (I wont give the supporter group the joy of knowing who they are).
I think the volume isnt the issue here, its the content. The AFL know well that its bad for the TV viewers to have quiet crowds.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah yelling out abuse and hurling swear words at others who disagree with your behaviour isn’t supporting to me

As usual people cry out “ PC!!!” Are just the usual type that want to get away with their shitty behaviour and not be called out on it.

It’s why I rarely go to the footy too much abuse and threats.

Last edited:

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah yelling out abuse and hurling swear words at others who disagree with your behaviour isn’t supporting to me

As usual people cry out “ PC!!!” Are just the usual type that want to get away with their ****ty behaviour and not be called out on it.

It’s why I really go to the footy too much abuse and threats.

The question isn't whether swearing and abusive language is bad behaviour or not - clearly it is - it's whether the AFL should be regulating said behaviour.

Only disappointing thing about this weekend is that 8th placed Port play 9th placed Freo, so Richmond can't drop to their natural position after they get flogged tonight.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

As usual people cry out “ PC!!!” Are just the usual type that want to get away with their ****ty behaviour and not be called out on it.

It’s why I really go to the footy too much abuse and threats.
Yeah fair enough. Did you see the video though? Is that really offensive, that you would want to have him kicked out or something?
Same as bald headed flog. Anyone that upset by it? Including the umpire.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah fair enough. Did you see the video though? Is that really offensive, that you would want to have him kicked out or something?
He wasn’t kicked out tho, it’s always been anti social behaviour and people have a right to report it.

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think he should be kicked out for it, surely there must be more to it? Usually a quiet chat from security would suffice (unless it was total hate speech of some kind). If he had been spoken to and continued THEN they might look at chucking him out.
I didn't find the video too offensive myself, but theres no way that language should be something shouted out in public. Was I offended, no. Would I want someone saying those things within earshot of kids, no.
Similar to what was said about smoking before. If the smokers regulated themselves and were polite about it, I doubt we would have as many non smoking laws as we do.
If people didn't scream the C word in front of kids, no one would make rules telling them not to.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
He wasn’t kicked out tho, it’s always been anti social behaviour and people have a right to report it.
No he wasn't kicked out. But that video was shown to defend why he was asked to stop barracking so loud even though all witnesses say he was doing nothing offensive.
Honestly I can't find that previous video to prove he's a problem offensive no matter how hard I try. But that is just me.
It will be interesting I guess to see if crowds go up with all the families too previously scared to go start to turn up.
Or if umpiring performance improves from not being called flogs.

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Nup. Dunno about nephew, nieces, but wife kids would all laugh and they do.
That's how I carry on TBH, I try not to say the C word often but it certainly does slip out watching the footy.
Gotta remember one of those videos was making a GF. How would you act?
Was it really that bad?
As for the Selwood, French thing who cares?
But each to their own, we're all different and get offended by different things.

Firstly I don't care about the Selwood thing either. Remember that video he posted might be far from the worst in his collection hence why it's still on show. I'm horrified you'd say the C word at all TBH. How would I act at a Geelong GF? Much much more respectfully for the people around me than Grech did that's for sure.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Sticksman celebrating at a Geelong GF:
tenor.gif

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The question isn't whether swearing and abusive language is bad behaviour or not - clearly it is - it's whether the AFL should be regulating said behaviour.

Its not just the words.. like it or not swearing is more main stream now than it has ever been ..turn the tv on and there it is... I rarely swear but I can live and be around it ..im not as brittle as that , although I never felt good at the footy with being able to have it yelled behind me with my kids there.

If I can make a simple analogy ... a pet like a dog doesn't understand words ..yet they can get a very clear understanding of intent the way its delivered .. Pat you dog calling him ina friendly voice anything under the sun .. and he will happliy roll over. Its not as much the words but the attitude.. the agressive negative put downs and to soem degree threats.

The afl has duty to ensure that the environment is where the majority of the crowd is the clientele that want to nurture. Obviously everyone has a different level of what they find offensive. The issue is ..that you can not just do what you feel is aceptable and expect others to just absorb and tolerate it.. because they have a different level of tolerance than you. We must set and adhere to a underlying principle that barracking for someone does not mean barracking agaisnt soneone else.. or besmerching the adjudication people. Disagree with a decision but what has a holding the ball or a push in the back got to do with someones hair style or volume or what colour the shirt is etc. Thats just an example of making your anger at a decision and making it personal.

If we dont get away from making it personal then language will not matter ..and the issue will stay. Its like the word I have seen often used on here ..campaigner .. not used in its original context however. Whats to stop another word being code for something.."You are such an umpire" ... "You are just so happy arnt you" instead of saying they are gay. ... if we dont change or alter behaviour the words will not matter..

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
If we dont get away from making it personal then language will not matter ..and the issue will stay. Its like the word I have seen often used on here ..campaigner .. not used in its original context however. Whats to stop another word being code for something.."You are such and umpire" ... "You are just so happy arnt you" instead of saying they are gay. ... if we dont change or alter behaviour the words will not matter..
I think old Billy Shakespeare said something like that, Turbo.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Firstly I don't care about the Selwood thing either. Remember that video he posted might be far from the worst in his collection hence why it's still on show. I'm horrified you'd say the C word at all TBH. How would I act at a Geelong GF? Much much more respectfully for the people around me than Grech did that's for sure.
That's nice to hear there's still well mannered people around.
I wouldn't be to horrified by the C word. I've always worked in a trade background so everything and everyone is a campaigner.
My mum in law is the nicest respectable person in the world and says it at much as me. Always been a nurse.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Its not just the words.. like it or not swearing is more main stream now than it has ever been ..turn the tv on and there it is... I rarely swear but I can live and be around it ..im not as brittle as that , although I never felt good at the footy with being able to have it yelled behind me with my kids there.

If I can make a simple analogy ... a pet like a dog doesn't understand words ..yet they can get a very clear understanding of intent the way its delivered .. Pat you dog calling him ina friendly voice anything under the sun .. and he will happliy roll over. Its not as much the words but the attitude.. the agressive negative put downs and to soem degree threats.

The afl has duty to ensure that the environment is where the majority of the crowd is the clientele that want to nurture. Obviously everyone has a different level of what they find offensive. The issue is ..that you can not just do what you feel is aceptable and expect others to just absorb and tolerate it.. because they have a different level of tolerance than you. We must set and adhere to a underlying principle that barracking for someone does not mean barracking agaisnt soneone else.. or besmerching the adjudication people. Disagree with a decision but what has a holding the ball or a push in the back got to do with someones hair style or volume or what colour the shirt is etc. Thats just an example of making your anger at a decision and making it personal.

If we dont get away from making it personal then language will not matter ..and the issue will stay. Its like the word I have seen often used on here ..campaigner .. not used in its original context however. Whats to stop another word being code for something.."You are such and umpire" ... "You are just so happy arnt you" instead of saying they are gay. ... if we dont change or alter behaviour the words will not matter..
Your such an umpire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back