Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Shaw was 8 games ...
The whiff of this is that it’s worse and we are only 10 games out from finals. The “political” climate seems harsher too. I reckon they will go hard.

Regarding Richmond’s run home, I think from round 15 onwards they play all their games at the MCG, now I know not all are home games but does it really matter? The MCG is their home so it pretty much counts as one. Would be like Geelong letting say the WB get a home game against Geelong at GMHBA stadium.

Imagine the outrage if WC, Freo, Crows, Power, Swans or even us if we finished the remaining 7 games playing at home

The whiff of this is that it’s worse and we are only 10 games out from finals. The “political” climate seems harsher too. I reckon they will go hard.

Is it greedy of me to feel bitter this wasn't discovered closer to finals? If Stephenson's ban ruled him out for the season it would be a huge boost for us, but I think he's probably set for a Shaw-esque 8-10 game ban if precedent is any guide (which, to be fair, it should be).

Former Cats cult favorite Max Rooke demoted mid-season from his position as Melbourne forward coach. Rare to see that happen before the season is over.

Its hard to get a take on the Stephenson issue. Hearing now he is part of a large syndicate, and one of those members placed the bet without him knowing. As soon as he realised he self reported.
Surely if thats the case its only a fine?

Its hard to get a take on the Stephenson issue. Hearing now he is part of a large syndicate, and one of those members placed the bet without him knowing. As soon as he realised he self reported.
Surely if thats the case its only a fine?

What sort of stupidity does it take..to put aside all information given to them.... do not wager on football. I think the syndicate thing is smoke and mirrors...

Last edited:
Cause it's the same league with the V changed to an A.

No league is exactly the same.. The VFL was a break away league.. it was the rebel ..but the thing created in the VFL was a long way from what we see now. Even in later years one can sustain the argument better that the VFL was the benchmark comp.. it did not have interstate games..then finals then draft etc etc.. .. i guess its different for all when and where it was that the comp we see now started.

A lot of this is just mine is "bigger than yours" stuff. Collingwood have nothing to gain so they are a No. We see our history as being more significant than is being attributed so we say Yes.

For me it give me no extra sense or value in the club I support. What the exact situation with all the history of Fitzroy going into Brisbane. I dont think all of the B&F's are considered the same? Not sure on this but even a quick look on their website they seperate guys like Murrary and Roos and Quinlan into Fitzroy records. To me this is an appalling demostration of what happens when a merge happens... for Geelong to recognise all or history is only right... but it was not part of the afl .. so I really not fussed about getting extra Flags recognised by that organisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your agument doesn't make sense. Not being bothered about history is your perogative though.
Doesn't make sense? Teams all leave league to make a new league.
New league changes its name but is still the same league.
What does not make sense?
Way to try and win a false argument by saying I'm not bothered by history BTW.

No league is exactly the same.. The VFL was a break away league.. it was the rebel ..but the thing created in the VFL was a long way from what we see now. Even in later years one can sustain the argument better that the VFL was the benchmark comp.. it did not have interstate games..then finals then draft etc etc.. .. i guess its different for all when and where it was that the comp we see now started.

A lot of this is just mine is "bigger than yours" stuff. Collingwood have nothing to gain so they are a No. We see our history as being more significant than is being attributed so we say Yes.

For me it give me no extra sense or value in the club I support. What the exact situation with all the history of Fitzroy going into Brisbane. I dont think all of the B&F's are considered the same? Not sure on this but even a quick look on their website they seperate guys like Murrary and Roos and Quinlan into Fitzroy records. To me this is an appalling demostration of what happens when a merge happens... for Geelong to recognise all or history is only right... but it was not part of the afl .. so I really not fussed about getting extra Flags recognised by that organisation.
I agree. All clubs should recognize their history. More so IMO.
Like you I'm not fussed about getting extra VFL flags. Happier for them to be counted as VFA flags as that shows off our history better as a founding club.
Also I agree with how different the league is now. I don't count Collingwoods round Robin flags, or flags when most men were off to war.
Good point on Fitzroy too BTW.

Why does it defy logic? They are two different competitions. I just can't understand the inferiority complex some have over this issue. Not worth the time of day worrying about.

It’s quite the opposite of an inferiority complex. It’s precisely because we feel confident in ourselves that we are battling away this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No one is denying history .. the history happened. The Flags in question are VFA flags.. should those equal VFL flags?

Why should the 1901 VFL flag stand and not the 2007? Precisely because one competition became the next competition as the premier competition. One continuous strand and that strand should have been taken with us into the new elite comp. But then it was. Another arbitrary decision not to twenty plus years after.

There's no doubt that Stratton had the blessing of his angry little coach for both of his actions. The foot stomp had the potential to break a bone so I think he's very lucky to get just 1 week for that. A week for pinching? I'd like to have seen 2 weeks for that. The prescribed penalties need to be rewritten so that pinching is a serious offence with a 2 week ban for each instance. Do it 3 times then you get 6 weeks.

Agreed. They are a club that have a long history of the cheapie. Does anybody have that video documenting Leigh Mathews against Carlton where he stomps on people’s feet hands head etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back