Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's weird, I don't think I've ever heard a player say pressure and intensity doesn't go up a notch in finals.
Fair enough you think they're no different. You can believe that.

It's the sort of thing that is said.

But the problem is that that's comparing finals with all H&A. The nature of the season is some fixtured games are harder, some are easier.

Finals skew towards being those harder games. So on average are they harder? Yes. But not because finals are inherently harder, they're just more games against better teams at a time when both will have no reason not to crack in. However it would be just outright false to say finals are higher pressure, there would be some games that buck that trend both ways.

Should have put money on the Bombers at this stage - an early call but it's held true over the course of the season

I did
It's the sort of thing that is said.

But the problem is that that's comparing finals with all H&A. The nature of the season is some fixtured games are harder, some are easier.

Finals skew towards being those harder games. So on average are they harder? Yes. But not because finals are inherently harder, they're just more games against better teams at a time when both will have no reason not to crack in. However it would be just outright false to say finals are higher pressure, there would be some games that buck that trend both ways.

I can see what you’re saying, but finals in any sport just have a completely different atmosphere. I can still remember my insignificant little netball finals in U/15s having a really different atmosphere and a heightened sort of pressure, I can’t even begin to imagine what that pressure is like at AFL level

Two things that stood out in the Pies v Giants game tonight. Cameron is a star and I can see why we are throwing everything at the man.

Grundy dominated and I mean dominated. 48 hit-outs, 31 disposals, 10 clearances, 9 tackles, 1 goal and the Pies still got flogged. This gives me great confidence that if we play them in the finals, and he destroys Stanley, we can still win and win well.
The Giants can win clearances, though, so that perhaps offsets losing the hitouts and not having a great ruck. Their mids are good enough to rove to the opposition ruckman that it doesn't cause as much damage. Geelong, as we know, is not anywhere near as effective a clearance side, and they'd want to fix that up going into finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History starting when?

1-0 emphatically in our favour this year
0-2 in very tight games last year
1-1 the year before
1-0 to us if you go as far back as 2016, and it would only get more skewed towards us beyond there

Please show me where in our overall history they are better than 4 for 1'ing us? Or do you mean going back four odd decades?
Excuse me, Landgraft, need I remind you this is a FOOTBALL forum and level-headed views are not welcome.

Either be hugely optimistic or melt continually, there is no middle ground ;)

The Giants can win clearances, though, so that perhaps offsets losing the hitouts and not having a great ruck. Their mids are good enough to rove to the opposition ruckman that it doesn't cause as much damage. Geelong, as we know, is not anywhere near as effective a clearance side, and they'd want to fix that up going into finals.
What made today’s win all the more impressive is that their midfield didn’t contain any of Ward, Kelly or Coniglio. Instead it was Taranto, Greene and Williams who smashed the Collingwood mids.

I can see what you’re saying, but finals in any sport just have a completely different atmosphere. I can still remember my insignificant little netball finals in U/15s having a really different atmosphere and a heightened sort of pressure, I can’t even begin to imagine what that pressure is like at AFL level

But how much of that just comes from the expectations of finals colouring your perceptions of them?

I've had finals or equivalent games in sport and others, obviously not at an elite level but still feeling like a matter of life-or-death at times. But looking to understand competitive play, there's been no rational reason to treat finals as the special thing they're sometimes though of as. If that changes then it would be worth considering - but even so you would still need to consider H&A games as significantly comparable. Moreso than, for instance, JLT games are comparable to H&A.

But how much of that just comes from the expectations of finals colouring your perceptions of them?

I've had finals or equivalent games in sport and others, obviously not at an elite level but still feeling like a matter of life-or-death at times. But looking to understand competitive play, there's been no rational reason to treat finals as the special thing they're sometimes though of as. If that changes then it would be worth considering - but even so you would still need to consider H&A games as significantly comparable. Moreso than, for instance, JLT games are comparable to H&A.
I do understand what your saying. Don't get me wrong.
But your forgetting the human being factor.
It is the major factor!
In the future when the game is being played by robots, Yes, finals will be played with the exact same composure, intensity as H&A games.
Yes, finals definitely should be comparable to H&A games, of course. But I cant remember a year when the finals dont put up anomalies with clubs and players compared to the regular season.

I do understand what your saying. Don't get me wrong.
But your forgetting the human being factor.
It is the major factor!
In the future when the game is being played by robots, Yes, finals will be played with the exact same composure, intensity as H&A games.
Yes, finals definitely should be comparable to H&A games, of course. But I cant remember a year when the finals dont put up anomalies with clubs and players compared to the regular season.

It's just not the case, though. Pressure, response, intensity, skills, form, nerves will all vary wildly at different times H&A and finals. And there's no linear progression or consistency to judge what level it will be at when.

There are definitely H&A games played at a higher pressure than some finals. Some players holding their nerves at one moment instead of another, but only one of them is remembered because it was in a final.

You expect it, so you see it. Doesn't mean that it's there.

So let's say there is Grand Final coming up.
Leon Davis and Andrew McLeod both coming in on decent form.
Who would you expect to play better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back