Munich

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
BVB, LVP
GEELONG football club. Regardless those trains would also have gone directly to Richmond, they can no longer.
It's absolutely a reason, the numbers are very telling.

You realise Geelong have supporters not just based in Geelong?

Those people actually make it to games and travel farther.
AFL don't want an empty SCG embarrassing them. It's s**t, but nothing the club can do except come out publicly and criticise the decision.

If they do that anymore the AFL will just troll us like in 17' and pretend it's Collingwood's home final.

We need to suck it up and keep a smile on our dial.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Depends on your point of view. You think we should have complained. Fair enough.

I don't think it matters - not in 2016, not in 2017, not now - and is completely irrelevant to the outcome.

If that's pseudo-hypocrisy (whatever that is) so be it.
I know I'm in the minority but I don't see it as a huge slight against us.
Can't remember Carlton playing home finals at PP, Bombers at Windy Hill, Hawks at Glenferrie, etc, etc
No-one wanted too! Every single player in the league would rather play in front of a big crowd at the G.
It's why they play.
I think the most important thing is our club has the balls to do something about Melb clubs buying up our allocated tickets.
Say something!

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I used to catch the train all the time and we never had the luxury of a direct line to Richmond.

The number 70 tram runs direct along flinders to the G, plus extra 70a trams for footy games. It takes 5 mins from Flinders St station, perhaps add 10 if you're coming from Southern Cross as you need to walk down Spencer St first.

That's a poor excuse for not attending I'm afraid.
Never had a problem getting to Richmond.
Literally every east side train goes there

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
It sucks for those who don't like to drive.
It sounds like it wouldn't take much longer, but from personal experience, in a big MCG game, it's 8 hours door to door (25 mins other side of Geelong) without any mucking around, straight to the game and straight back.
Used to be 4.5/5 hours.

Can't argue with any of that.

And even if you drive it's much harder than it used to be. I had the pleasure of sitting in the carpark for 30 minutes or whatever it was after the 2014 Qualifying Final (because apparently, you can't have any moron walk into a car anymore), and that plus the drive meant it took nearly 2 hours to get home. Something definitely shifted in my perspective that night on the reality of how the AFL treats fans. A lot of night games now, even with the lure of alcohol are just too much hassle. And forget about taking young kids.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Can't argue with any of that.

And even if you drive it's much harder than it used to be. I had the pleasure of sitting in the carpark for 30 minutes or whatever it was after the 2014 Qualifying Final (because apparently, you can't have any moron walk into a car anymore), and that plus the drive meant it took nearly 2 hours to get home. Something definitely shifted in my perspective that night on the reality of how the AFL treats fans. A lot of night games now, even with the lure of alcohol are just too much hassle. And forget about taking young kids.

Let's be honest though, most of these issues are only relevant because we've been playing finals consistently for over a decade.
We have been spoiled really, if this was our first finals campaign for a decade then you'd see thousands of Cats fans make the journey no matter the obstacle.
I'll be there Friday night regardless, as I will be for every final we play.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
If anyone can suggest travelling via car and only walking a short distance to the 'G' then I would be able to go!
If you can afford the parking, just park at any of the car parks in the city, or even Southern Cross and train it.
Bloody expensive though 50$+
If you wanted to make a night of it park at Crown. Hit the tables after the game.
I've parked at the botanical gardens near the tan track before and it was cheap. Little bit of a treck though

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
If anyone can suggest travelling via car and only walking a short distance to the 'G' then I would be able to go!

Lots of parking around and off Swan St, Richmond - most of it unmetered after 5 so fine for night games. About a 10-15 minute walk to the ‘G.

Apr 10, 2019
In The Middle Of Nowhere
AFL Club
Geelong
If you can afford the parking, just park at any of the car parks in the city, or even Southern Cross and train it.
If you wanted to make a night of it park at Crown. Hit the tables after the game.
I've parked at the botanical gardens near the tan track before and it was cheap. Little bit of a treck though

We usually park at Southbank but it's too far for me to walk now, I'm looking for something only 10 mins max away.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Apparently finishing above the other team isn't a criteria...if crowd size is the main criteria that denies Geelong a home final, then I assume the Gabba will fit the 75,000 that attended todays Lions/richmond game.....

Ahh...but no it wont...so the Tigers should complain vociferously about the venue they face given attendances are the AFL's criteria for deciding finals venues.

The consistency of the AFL's position is non-existent.

I wont even start on GWS.

If Geelong are playing a final against GWS Gold Coast Suns or maybe Fremantle - then yes a home final at KP - logical - because very few of their supporters would come to Victoria anyway

But if the Cats are playing any other side - it has to be at the MCG - it is utter nonsense - utter rubbish to suggest that the game should be played at Kardinia Park

Are Nth Melb if they get a home final is it going to be played at Hobart ( where they are hard to beat ) no way =- are Hawthorn going to get a home final at Launceston ( where they have an imposing win/loss record ) no way

It is utter shiit and embarassing to read that Geel supporters want a home final against clubs outside the 3 i mentioned - its just laughable - its not going to happen and it shouldnt happen

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
If Geelong are playing a final against GWS Gold Coast Suns or maybe Fremantle - then yes a home final at KP - logical - because very few of their supporters would come to Victoria anyway

But if the Cats are playing any other side - it has to be at the MCG - it is utter nonsense - utter rubbish to suggest that the game should be played at Kardinia Park

Are Nth Melb if they get a home final is it going to be played at Hobart ( where they are hard to beat ) no way =- are Hawthorn going to get a home final at Launceston ( where they have an imposing win/loss record ) no way

It is utter shiit and embarassing to read that Geel supporters want a home final against clubs outside the 3 i mentioned - its just laughable - its not going to happen and it shouldnt happen

What a bizarre post.

Lol.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
The bottom 10 from liveladders.com :tearsofjoy:

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm

If coming from east/south easter suburbs parking at Malvern or murrumbeena station then a short train ride isn't too bad. I way prefer it to driving/parking in the city.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Why have a go at supporters when the club is so ardent in wanting it ?

I dont understand your reasoning for yes to GWS or Gold Coast or maybe Freo ..because of distance.. ? Not Brisbane Not West Coast ? Not Sydney ? same distance. Do you mean they are less of their supporters so therefore less will travel?

The afl is governed by what earn the most money .. so thats the only thing that should be count ..they should come straight outand say it.. we want as much money as possible. They sign contracts so they are committed to play at the G .. we are playing in the only G game... there is no way it would be anywhere else ... no matter who we were playing. But lets not pretend its about making sure supporters can get to the game ..thats really laughable... if they wanted to open the gates and let people in for zero then fine we are worried about eyes.. but thats not the case..they are worried about pockets.

Never thought I'd say it but just witnessed a choke worse than Richmond 2013 EF and our miracle on grass game.
Laughing because of how pathetic we were at the end

Once 9 down I doubt we bowled many balls that would have hit the stumps. Lyons has a relatively easy take for a ball thrown to him for a run out but takes his eyes of the ball. And the captain decides to ignore his bowler who said no to reviewing.

Not sure we'll see anything that pathetic over the next 4 weeks of finals

REVIEW what you think is out ... that should cost him the capts job
Cummins or Head as captain, and while they are at it, Carey to be the new keeper - haven't really been impressed by Paine, and other than being a "nice guy", not sure what he actually brings to the team

What an amazing turn of adverts.Poms score one of the lowest totals in test history.
And in their second dig score one of the highest totals for the 4th Innings thats crazy.

Stokes was off the charts.

Aussies letting the 9 wicket parntership win the game not great after the tail fell in a heap.

Both teams will need to make a couple changes for the 4th test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back