Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone notice your difference between the AFL & NRL tribunal when handing down a punishment for the same action:

AFL:

Greene was fined $7,500 at the tribunal in Melbourne this evening, having entered a guilty plea in response to an ugly incident involving Western Bulldogs player Marcus Bontempelli during the first quarter of Saturday's elimination final in Homebush.

Match footage of the incident showed Green grabbing at Bontempelli's face area and pulling his hair as he lay on the ground and his hands had appeared to come into contact with his opponent's face.

Versus NRL:

Canberra’s Hudson Young has been banned for eight matches by the NRL judiciary after being found guilty of dangerous contact with a player’s eyes.

In a dramatic two-and-a-half hours on Tuesday night at NRL headquarters, the judiciary dismissed evidence from Warriors victim Adam Pompey who spoke in defence of the Raiders’ forward.

They also rejected Young’s claims that he had not made any contact with Pompey’s eyes as the centre was diving over on Saturday for a try.

Anyone notice your difference between the AFL & NRL tribunal when handing down a punishment for the same action:

AFL:

Greene was fined $7,500 at the tribunal in Melbourne this evening, having entered a guilty plea in response to an ugly incident involving Western Bulldogs player Marcus Bontempelli during the first quarter of Saturday's elimination final in Homebush.

Match footage of the incident showed Green grabbing at Bontempelli's face area and pulling his hair as he lay on the ground and his hands had appeared to come into contact with his opponent's face.

Versus NRL:

Canberra’s Hudson Young has been banned for eight matches by the NRL judiciary after being found guilty of dangerous contact with a player’s eyes.

In a dramatic two-and-a-half hours on Tuesday night at NRL headquarters, the judiciary dismissed evidence from Warriors victim Adam Pompey who spoke in defence of the Raiders’ forward.

They also rejected Young’s claims that he had not made any contact with Pompey’s eyes as the centre was diving over on Saturday for a try.
Is there an NRL equivalent for this .?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08...uld-miss-multiple-weeks-with-fractured-larynx

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-20/bont-still-a-brownlow-chance-after-quirk-of-mro-timing

Would be interested in your thoughts lads, ladies, ladies pretending to be lads...
Feel free to convince me otherwise.
I did just realise that it was sponsored by NAB not the AFL or government so I'm less impressed than before but I hope the message isn't lost all the same.

I put this in another thread. I was responding to a comment reg. Winmar.

I don't think it has much to do with Tayla Harris. We're talking about a population that has to fight for the existence of every serious sporting competition to play in let alone receive recognition. Even the AFL barely takes the womens comp seriously. The first AFLW Carlton/ Collingwood match a few years ago wasn't a 'sell-out' because it was a novelty, it was a sell out because it had young girls and old women flocking in to finally see their efforts come to something - hell every female in my household was streaming it live and I'm the only one of us that actually pays attention to footy. Winmar received repeated abuse in a racist society that swept it under the rug, yes - but until recently we've been written out of efforts to even get to that point. If the government want to create a statue to commemorate the Tayla Harris moment - a moment that required some supreme skill and athleticism - and more importantly the fightback against the sexist idiots and keyboard warriors who think its their duty to let everyone know just how inadequate we are, then I don't have a problem with it at all.

Would be interested in your thoughts lads, ladies, ladies pretending to be lads...
Feel free to convince me otherwise.
I did just realise that it was sponsored by NAB not the AFL or government so I'm less impressed than before but I hope the message isn't lost all the same.

I put this in another thread. I was responding to a comment reg. Winmar.

I don't think it has much to do with Tayla Harris. We're talking about a population that has to fight for the existence of every serious sporting competition to play in let alone receive recognition. Even the AFL barely takes the womens comp seriously. The first AFLW Carlton/ Collingwood match a few years ago wasn't a 'sell-out' because it was a novelty, it was a sell out because it had young girls and old women flocking in to finally see their efforts come to something - hell every female in my household was streaming it live and I'm the only one of us that actually pays attention to footy. Winmar received repeated abuse in a racist society that swept it under the rug, yes - but until recently we've been written out of efforts to even get to that point. If the government want to create a statue to commemorate the Tayla Harris moment - a moment that required some supreme skill and athleticism - and more importantly the fightback against the sexist idiots and keyboard warriors who think its their duty to let everyone know just how inadequate we are, then I don't have a problem with it at all.

The "we" you are mentioning .. do you play W football? Or are you talking metaphorical "we" talking on behalf of all the fem ? Do you mean inadequate comments as footballers or your sex?

Its obvious that the photo has become symbolic .. as demonstrated by the recent little mini's add where there was a young girl doing the same action
but Im really not overly enthused about the statue but probably not willing to get overly warped about it either. Its a statue.

Im pro aflw but Im not pro by avoiding something that can be improved ..hollow positive comments do no favours for the comp. I feel If we can comment on the mens football perfromance we can on the women as well. If you read the aflW thread I'm a regular contributer to it. The skills of the girls need work and Im not an advocate of their game being so closed down..

I think you see the statue as a political statement not really as much about football , as more a statement against sexism and trolls and anything else that is derogatory said towards women online. Is that correct? Im not interested in that side of the game.. all I want is the sport to be better.. if you want t make the sport a political tool.. id be out the door fairly quick. If the statue is a commentory about female sports ..Id think there would be plenty of others that could have recognition before her ..so again political ..and being linked to NAB makes one wonder ..what they expect to get out of it. The usually have one goal. Profit.

That's the problem with our list...not enough hard players.
Stewart Selwood who's almost done and Danger.
Can't think of any others that would fit the bill.
McCarthy i rated in that group but he's gone.

Cockatoo if he can ever get on the park? Remember he was front and centre during a stoush against Port in Adelaide a few years ago.

Absolutely. I miss having a Rooke / Milburn / Chappy in the team. They were the ones who almost fed off the brutality of the game. The higher the pressure, the better they played.

To be honest I think it has become vastly overstated.

Rooke was a fringe player - he was only a really regular contributor to the team from about 2006-2009, and really only in 2008-2009. We tore the entire competition to shreds throughout 2007 and he barely played. His legend has grown a lot since he retired.

Above all that, none of those players were dirty. They were physical players who put their head over the ball, but they weren't giving away stupid free kicks showing the opposition how tough they were. And as we had a team of mature, strong, physical players that had developed together, we were very hard to move off the ball and very hard to beat.

Another one bites the dust, and the Crows tradition of not keeping coaches who fail to reach finals in consecutive seasons continues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rooke was a fringe player - he was only a really regular contributor to the team from about 2006-2009, and really only in 2008-2009. We tore the entire competition to shreds throughout 2007 and he barely played. His legend has grown a lot since he retired.

Above all that, none of those players were dirty. They were physical players who put their head over the ball, but they weren't giving away stupid free kicks showing the opposition how tough they were. And as we had a team of mature, strong, physical players that had developed together, we were very hard to move off the ball and very hard to beat.
I agree with that, but you might have trouble convincing Carlton supporters about Dasher and his attempt to help Saint Stephen to early martyrdom.:D

I think so too. Our players were also supremely confident. And nothing beats that confidence when combined with that physical presence and ability to execute. It creates an aura like nothing else. Mackie wasn't a tough player and could be moved off the ball easily by stronger players. But Mackie mouthing off at you all game with Dasher, Wojack and Scarlo backing him up was a different proposition altogether.

Right now, we have some players that are confident (based on their ability and past results), but the team itself doesn't have that aura.

Richmond has it for sure. Everyone just expects them to win, even with some average players, and after a while, with that sort of internal and external belief they can't help but make it a reality.

WC also seem to have something good going on.

I agree with that, but you might have trouble convincing Carlton supporters about Dasher and his attempt to help Saint Stephen to early martyrdom.:D

No doubt.

Even if you thought it was dirty (and I didn't, and don't), that was years before we became a good team.

Fun fact is in 2007 we had one - ONE - player suspended for the entire season. That was Rooke in Adelaide, and even then he was pretty unlucky. The idea that good teams, even good physical teams, need to literally throw their weight around and play on the edge is complete garbage.

Good points, but SJ and Mooney had many of those moments.
When Toby plays footy, he is a rare talent, mixture of confidence, skill, passion and aggression.
He has severe white-line fever syndrome.

Lmao I remember saying mid-season in a conversation with Willo that there was ZERO chance Pyke would leave the Crows as it would be unprecedented to sack a coach with a winning percentage above 60% who made a Grand Final only 2 years ago.

Couldn't have got that more wrong if I tried. :drunk:

Lmao I remember saying mid-season in a conversation with Willo that there was ZERO chance Pyke would leave the Crows as it would be unprecedented to sack a coach with a winning percentage above 60% who made a Grand Final only 2 years ago.

Couldn't have got that more wrong if I tried. :drunk:
I would of said the same. Just heard he's worth 30million bucks so I don't think he really gives a f**k.
No need to put up with the hassle of *ed SA footy fans for a couple of more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back