Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that was us this board would be screaming blue murder and wanting half the club fired (although with some fairness), I wonder how port are dealing with it.
I posted this one last night and it's not good reading for the minor premiers

Then looking at other stats mentioned in the comments it becomes clear that for all the probabilities of making grand finals from certain positions, let alone the probability of winning the premiership doesn't always equate to the reality

Not saying we shouldn't have done better than we have over the past decade (like would have been nice to at least make a gf), but the pre-finals bye has also impacted things. Prior to the induction of the pre-finals bye (and during the AFL era) the minor premier won the flag roughly 1/3 of the time, but hasn't won the flag since it's introduction. Hawks in 2013 the last minor premier to also win the flag

I posted this one last night and it's not good reading for the minor premiers

Then looking at other stats mentioned in the comments it becomes clear that for all the probabilities of making grand finals from certain positions, let alone the probability of winning the premiership doesn't always equate to the reality

Not saying we shouldn't have done better than we have over the past decade (like would have been nice to at least make a gf), but the pre-finals bye has also impacted things. Prior to the induction of the pre-finals bye (and during the AFL era) the minor premier won the flag roughly 1/3 of the time, but hasn't won the flag since it's introduction. Hawks in 2013 the last minor premier to also win the flag

Followed these stats myself aswell.
There's no doubt the reward for finishing top 4 is greatly diminished with the bye to the point it's almost a disadvantage (1 game in 25-30 games FFS), however the problem is the AFL will consider it a success due to the exact same statistics.
IMO it's BS a team that didn't perform well enough and only finishes 7th has as good chance to win the flag than the team that dominated all season to finish minor Premier, especially with our game where the players consider continuity and momentum vitally important.

Port were actually pretty good, didn‘t take their chances and little errors, and a bit of luck they would have won. Still think they need a couple of more players on the forward line- just played into Richmond’s hands all night bombing it down. Dixon needed to at least bring the ball to ground so someone could get it. They will rue this missed opportunity.
Thought the deliberate against Hartlett ( resulting in a goal), was pretty tough call too.

Last edited:

Port were actually pretty good and a bit of luck they would have won. Still think they need a couple of more players on the forward line- just played into Richmond’s hands all night bombing it down. Dixon needed to at least bring the ball to ground so someone could get it. They will rue this missed opportunity.
Thought the deliberate against Hartlett ( resulting in a goal), was pretty tough call too.

It's easy to put the blame on them for kicking in hope, but Richmond were playing a defensive structure with the objective of forcing them into that dilemma.

Personally I would rather see them try to set up long range shots on goal in that situation, but that's more from the perspective of what I like to see in games instead of what is likely to be effective.

How are you getting median next year as mid 28s?

I've got a spreadsheet that which calculates our players' age on a given date.

Selected a best 22 I could see us playing in round 1. Chose not to select Henderson, Steven and Jenkins. Who'd be cover in case of injury.

Dahlhaus and Stewart would be the 11th and 12th oldest players and both will be older than 28, full list below.

Ages as of April the 1st 2021.

NameGamesAgeYearsDays
Selwood30532.8532310
Hawkins27232.6932252
Tuohy20031.3131113
Dangerfield26430.9930362
Stanley14030.3330121
Blicavs17430.01304
Rohan13929.8229300
Duncan21829.8129296
Menegola8129.072926
Guthrie17728.6228226
Dahlhaus18928.6128223
Stewart8128.042815
Bews9827.327110
Kolodjashnij10525.6425234
O'Connor4624.212477
Parfitt6722.9322340
Simpson1222.822292
Ratugolea3922.6922252
Henry6122.5922215
Fogarty2322220
Miers4122220
Clark2120.4620168

Edit:table now in order

Last edited:
Selected a best 22 I could see us playing in round 1.
* Bews will be 27! I thought he was like 24.

Shows how devoid of talent we have between that 22-27 range, not one player selected.

A 24/25 year old would've been drafted, what, 2014ish?

Our 2013 Draft in order:
Lang
Jansen
Kolo (oh wait, he is listed in your team, but the age order is a bit out for O'Connor and Kolo)
Walker
Burbury

Our 2014 Draft in order:
Cockatoo
Gregson
Gore
Cunico

Our 2015 Draft in order:
Gardener
Menegola (pick 67)
Buzza
Hayball

For 14 we only had one pick in the top 40, which was cockatoo, and for 15 we only had picks in the 60s, so that explains some of the lack of talent. We did bring in Danger so evens out imo.

13 was a major bust, not sure what happened there.

It's easy to put the blame on them for kicking in hope, but Richmond were playing a defensive structure with the objective of forcing them into that dilemma.

Personally I would rather see them try to set up long range shots on goal in that situation, but that's more from the perspective of what I like to see in games instead of what is likely to be effective.
Yep, agree that Richmond forces that scenario- but you know it’s coming- teams are still struggling to work out a way to negate it-even a bit would be enough to tip the balance.

Trent Cotchin, Richmond, has been charged with Tripping (Fixed Financial Sanction) Hamish Hartlett, Port Adelaide, during the fourth quarter of the Preliminary Final between Port Adelaide and Richmond, played at Adelaide Oval on Friday October 16.

In summary he can accept a $500 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Tripping (Fixed Financial Sanction). The incident was classified as a $750 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $500 sanction with an early plea.

Ladhams & Butters also fined

fu** Bews will be 27! I thought he was like 24.

Shows how devoid of talent we have between that 22-27 range, not one player selected.

A 24/25 year old would've been drafted, what, 2014ish?

Our 2013 Draft in order:
Lang
Jansen
Kolo (oh wait, he is listed in your team, but the age order is a bit out for O'Connor and Kolo)
Walker
Burbury

Our 2014 Draft in order:
Cockatoo
Gregson
Gore
Cunico

Our 2015 Draft in order:
Gardener
Menegola (pick 67)
Buzza
Hayball

For 14 we only had one pick in the top 40, which was cockatoo, and for 15 we only had picks in the 60s, so that explains some of the lack of talent. We did bring in Danger so evens out imo.

13 was a major bust, not sure what happened there.

I think we got decent value for the picks we had.

The sum of the median for the picks in those three drafts is between 250 to 300 games depending on which draft years you use. We're currently on 333, With Menegola and Kolodjashnij still adding to it.

We turned Jansen and Walker in Ratugolea, Lang into Miers, Gore was added to the Dangerfield trade. And we might still get something for Cockatoo.

Martin was ok.
Got some decent ball when isolated against Byrne-Jones whose akin to my 5 year old tackling me, but other than that I felt he was wasteful and tended to reap rewards of other players good decisions.
Nankervis was clear BOG with 2 or 3 port players afterwards.
Nank was huge no doubt BUT he was getting spanked early by Lycett out of the ruck. Stanley has enough aerobic ability to stick with and run over the top of him i reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nank was huge no doubt BUT he was getting spanked early by Lycett out of the ruck. Stanley has enough aerobic ability to stick with and run over the top of him i reckon.

Nank a good intercet ruck can't let him take those marks .

Ports mids were poor Boak and Rocky .

Brad Ebert hangs up hes boots and Helment..

Basil Zempilas has been elected Lord Mayor of Perth. Guess that means we won't have to suffer through his commentary/special comments anytime soon. :thumbsu:

Basil Zempilas has been elected Lord Mayor of Perth. Guess that means we won't have to suffer through his commentary/special comments anytime soon. :thumbsu:

When I turned my TV on this morning it was on 7 and news time - caught the last bit of Geelongs win, news of Penriths win and that Basil was elected Lord Mayor

Apparently there was like 6000 or so who voted and he won by 200 or 600 votes

Good luck to the folks in Perth

It's interesting reading the Port board. They still want to sack Kenny after what is arguably their most successful season since 2014.
They were a kick or two away from the GF, if they had composure and not fumbled so much they would had got it.

You can’t blame the coach for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back