Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I watched the game...NicNAt was supreme in the ruck, but O'Brien great around the ground.

Whatever, NicNat giving O'Brien a new phone at the end was all class. Call it even.
He was proved right though. Ran him ragged and cleaned up around the ground. Nic Nat is fat and lazy. Outside the ruck contest he’s too out of shape to do much else.

Geez Ellis is a great player. Richmond should never have traded him. I think their current form has something to do with him being missing.
They couldn't afford to keep him - for him to stay at Richmond he would have needed to take a significant pay cut due to the salaries of players such as Lynch, Martin, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Prestia & Rance (yep, still on their list this year)

This is from Sept 2018, so prior to Lynch signing but when it was pretty much confirmed he'd be a Tiger:

RICHMOND faces one of football’s biggest salary cap imbalances next year, with six players taking up as much as $5 million of a $12.76m salary cap...

...Dustin Martin is on around $1.2 million a year.

So he should be on a deal that with his durability will likely get him to 350 games by the age of 33, with fuel potentially left in the tank.

Lynch is likely to ask for less money per season to accept a deal past five seasons, sitting him underneath Martin on around $1 million a year.

Dion Prestia’s deal is around $750,000 a season, and Alex Rance, Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin have all extended deals and renegotiated terms that would still see them earn $700,000 or more.

Makes you appreciate even more the sacrifices our premiership guys made to keep the list together as much as possible, as they could have easily chased bigger money at other clubs during those peak earning years.

They couldn't afford to keep him - for him to stay at Richmond he would have needed to take a significant pay cut due to the salaries of players such as Lynch, Martin, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Prestia & Rance (yep, still on their list this year)

This is from Sept 2018, so prior to Lynch signing but when it was pretty much confirmed he'd be a Tiger:

Makes you appreciate even more the sacrifices our premiership guys made to keep the list together as much as possible, as they could have easily chased bigger money at other clubs during those peak earning years.

That does make sense. Geez that's a lot of money for not many players.
Are they still paying Rance? I'd be a bit filthy on his retirement timing if so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What with Adelaide nosediving so badly, it will be interesting to see whether the Crows attempt to offload some of their senior players with currency in the off-season as a way of going all-in on their rebuild.

I'd be curious to see what their senior core would fetch on the open market. At a guess:

Sloane - late 2nd round pick?
MCrouch - mid 1st round pick?
BCrouch - mid 2nd round pick?
Laird - mid 1st round pick?
Walker - fourth round pick?

Btw, not suggesting I want Geelong to pick any of these guys up, just speculating wildly for the sake of the exercise.

What with Adelaide nosediving so badly, it will be interesting to see whether the Crows attempt to offload some of their senior players with currency in the off-season as a way of going all-in on their rebuild.

I'd be curious to see what their senior core would fetch on the open market. At a guess:

Btw, not suggesting I want Geelong to pick any of these guys up, just speculating wildly for the sake of the exercise.

Bit tough on Sloane....

I'd take Laird with a late first round. Wouldn't touch the others. Would have loved Sloane a couple years back, not so sure at the moment. We have a lot of similar players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back