Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know the grounds well enough or their quality. Years ago I remember watching a game at Caz's in Cairns , that seemed reasonable then but its too long ago. Could the two ground handle 4-5 games a week. WA and SA will still have their share Im sure.
Cairns can easily do 1 game a week maybe 2 note sure on that but between Cairns, Gabba and Metricon we should be able to do 5 games a week i would think.

Which should be plenty if some teams are playing in WA and SA every week as well (both should be able to do 2 games easily)

Cairns can easily do 1 game a week maybe 2 note sure on that but between Cairns, Gabba and Metricon we should be able to do 5 games a week i would think.

Which should be plenty if some teams are playing in WA and SA every week as well (both should be able to do 2 games easily)
Not sure about the surface at Metricon with the extra traffic.

Not sure about the surface at Metricon with the extra traffic.
Only been to a few games at Metricon but surely it could handle 3 games every 2 weeks

2 At Optus 2 at Adelaide 2 Gabba 2 Metricon and 1 Cairns. Could even play a game in Darwin or Alice every other week to give grounds a breather.

We also have Tasmania which has 2 grounds if needed to give the other grounds a break.

Only been to a few games at Metricon but surely it could handle 3 games every 2 weeks

2 At Optus 2 at Adelaide 2 Gabba 2 Metricon and 1 Cairns. Could even play a game in Darwin or Alice every other week to give grounds a breather.

We also have Tasmania which has 2 grounds if needed to give the other grounds a break.
The Territory might be off limits?What about Townsville?

I liked this response.

The comment doesn't actually read well for the Richmond FC - can you imagine a player from Hawthorn, Geelong or even Sydney saying "mate X playing 1 week after breaking his hand is one of the toughest things I've seen in footy"...

It kinda comes across as a bit soft if playing with broken finger is deemed tough at Tigerland - like seriously, I know that a seriously broken finger can keep a player out, but how many others would play through such pain each season without making a big deal of such thing?

The comment doesn't actually read well for the Richmond FC - can you imagine a player from Hawthorn, Geelong or even Sydney saying "mate X playing 1 week after breaking his hand is one of the toughest things I've seen in footy"...

It kinda comes across as a bit soft if playing with broken finger is deemed tough at Tigerland - like seriously, I know that a seriously broken finger can keep a player out, but how many others would play through such pain each season without making a big deal of such thing?
Danger was playing with stuffed ribs a few years ago and most didn't know until someone from talking footy said something lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We know that Crows, Port, Eagles and Freo will basically play home games for at least the next 7 weeks. That's 4 games.

If we're playing Thursday to Monday you can have a game a day at both Metricon and the Gabba on Sat and Sun, one between them on Thu/Fri/Mon the whole way through. That's potential for another 7 (3+2+2). 11>9 so there's more than enough room at just the Gabba and Metricon to play games. If the surfaces get tired, they can rotate through Cairns for a couple of weeks to give the grounds some R+R.

Wowser, poor old WA being snubbed again!

I read that the MCG is still the likely grand final spot.

I think some of that comes from differing attitudes of the 2 governments

- WA put a block on families of Geelong & Collingwood players coming to the hubs; exemptions have only been granted to those who have extended family in WA or on medical grounds. Sounds like families were initial going to be permitted but that changed after the teams arrived
- Geelong's hub situation means that when players are going to training or want to go out for exercise, they are required to board a bus to be taken to the approved location

- In Qld, the families seemed to have been welcomed with no issue
- Those in hubs are permitted to drive cars, so have slightly more freedom in terms of movement

Comparing the 2 situations, it seems that the Qld government has made things a bit easier which is why the AFL have looked to there for the long term hub. My thought is that if GF is to be played away from the MCG, that it should be played in Qld, in part due to the role they have played in keeping the season going

Danger was playing with stuffed ribs a few years ago and most didn't know until someone from talking footy said something lol

Didn't Selwood play an entire finals series a few years back with a broken leg?

One of the toughest things I've seen in footy was Jason McCartney returning to the field following the 2002 Bali bombings.

The mental toughness shown by him to return to training, then to play 7 VFL games & 1 AFL game.

Or someone like Menzel who has 1450 days between game #21 & game #22

Toughness is more than just playing with a broken finger

One of the toughest things I've seen in footy was Jason McCartney returning to the field following the 2002 Bali bombings.

The mental toughness shown by him to return to training, then to play 7 VFL games & 1 AFL game.

Or someone like Menzel who has 1450 days between game #21 & game #22

Toughness is more than just playing with a broken finger
Or that Ess player that continued to play despite having cancer and not telling anyone even the club

Or that Ess player that continued to play despite having cancer and not telling anyone even the club

Lonergan and Sam Newman are my all time top two. The rest pale.

Richo’s effort a few years ago in resuming very quickly after getting a fractured cheekbone was just a tad more impressive.

But the argument is more jumper than injury anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back