Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is but the just look too bloody good.
They lost to GWS a couple of weeks ago, then beat the dogs who are struggling ( no forward line, something up with Bont, Johannisen still getting a game) and Brissy( their bunnies). So whilst they are looking good, am not handing them the flag just yet. ;)

Lynch cops a fair whack on the main forum of this website but he's been bloody good for them.
I reckon he was the difference last year. He won them the game against us in the preliminary final.
Definitely. Might be a one trick pony but that trick has got the job done for them in critical situations. We had our big forward missing and could not exploit first half dominance - Lynch was turning the tide at the other end. Throw him on our side in that match and I reckon we win, even with some second half jitters.

They lost to GWS a couple of weeks ago, then beat the dogs who are struggling ( no forward line, something up with Bont, Johannisen still getting a game) and Brissy( their bunnies). So whilst they are looking good, am not handing them the flag just yet. ;)

Same. I think at their best they might be as good as anyone. But, to me they need to be at full strength, and they are still missing Prestia, Edwards, Astbury, Houli, and Caddy. Some of their second tier players have certainly improved this season - Bolton and Broad especially. But not convinced they're consistent enough week in week out to get past West Coast (at least). Could easily see Port rolling them too.

I think Richmond are clear cut favourites and Eagles are 2nd favourites

However i think the Cats are the next best - i would link Coll with Geel - but the Magpies have got too many injuries to key players

The rest of the sides have got no chance whatsoever - they are trumped up / hyped up - feel good story Pretenders
You were making sense for a bit. Tigers & eagles- yes best two. Cats third ? I don’t think so...

Same. I think at their best they might be as good as anyone. But, to me they need to be at full strength, and they are still missing Prestia, Edwards, Astbury, Houli, and Caddy. Some of their second tier players have certainly improved this season - Bolton and Broad especially. But not convinced they're consistent enough week in week out to get past West Coast (at least). Could easily see Port rolling them too.
Need to be at full strength?? Have you been watching? Not at full strength and just cruised to third position. Tigers are different level. Only hope the rest of us have is they have peaked too early this year!

Can we all please try to keep on topic, and for this thread it means a focus on all things AFL that don't actually relate to Geelong or Scott

Note, a number of posts have been moved to a more suitable thread - I don't actually enjoy having to put my phone aside and find an actually computer to get these things done, so apologies if a post was moved that was actually discussing something relevant to this thread such as tonights match; I did my best to leave the on topic posts alone

Future off topics post may be deleted rather than moved as that's the easier option when on my phone...

Need to be at full strength?? Have you been watching? Not at full strength and just cruised to third position. Tigers are different level. Only hope the rest of us have is they have peaked too early this year!

Maybe. But we say that every year about teams and it comes unstuck an awful lot. I think they're more prone to dropping games now.

Was nice of the Lions to roll over and boost the Tugger % for them.

And Lynch is a soft loser for face planting that kid.

And watch Norf be a monster v us tongiht.

GO Catters

Was nice of the Lions to roll over and boost the Tugger % for them.

Tigers percentage is supremely irrelevant to us at the moment, though. Worked to our advantage to have the Lions numbers knocked around a bit, actually. Helpfully brought them back in line with our current percentage.

Just need to win games now to make it count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a silly call to make, but think the tigers will win the flag again, the bastards just know what to do and how to.

Can hardly be silly, based on the fact that they've won two of the last three (and actually self-destructed in the other finals series).

Having said that, would be delighted to see anyone else but them take it out. Their style of footy is hardly attractive and only reinforces the overall mediocrity of the comp at the moment.

'Ugly but effective' is the epithet that comes to mind whenever I think of them.

Oh, and the unintended irony of Dimma's '75,000 players in our forward 50'.

:cool:

Probably a silly call to make, but think the tigers will win the flag again, the bastards just know what to do and how to.
Some better teams around this time imo , but like all things it is possible ...hopefully not I’ve had enough of that self entitled smug arrogant team for a lifetime

Tigers should rightly be viewed as one of the biggest threats (maybe the biggest, even with injuries), but Brisbane are the only decent team away from home (I know this one was neutral...but home state for Brisbane) that they make their bunnies. Finals played at these hubs rather than at a roaring MCG is definitely a factor that goes against them. But it still requires at least one other team to really step up and keep their mettle rather than kicking a million points when on top in a final. Get them at the right time and you can actually put them away in a half if you kick straight. Brisbane and then Geelong failed to do that in the first quarter and half respectively last finals.

Ive helped myself to the $5 on offer about Richmond - i think that is a great price

If i was a bookie id have them at about $2.75 - and i wouldnt want to write a ticket against them

Hadnt been for Collingwood - theyd being going for 4 in a row - thats the facts

If you look at the odds of the other teams - they are far too close to the Tigers . Collingwood ( with all their injuries ) are at 9 bucks - thats miles too short when you look at Rich odds

Can hardly be silly, based on the fact that they've won two of the last three (and actually self-destructed in the other finals series).

Having said that, would be delighted to see anyone else but them take it out. Their style of footy is hardly attractive and only reinforces the overall mediocrity of the comp at the moment.

'Ugly but effective' is the epithet that comes to mind whenever I think of them.

Oh, and the unintended irony of Dimma's '75,000 players in our forward 50'.

:cool:

They're not the only team that could be applied to this season. And there are a lot worse teams to watch than them.

They're not the only team that could be applied to this season. And there are a lot worse teams to watch than them.

There's plenty of 'ugly' teams in the comp right now. But there's also certainly a number who I find better to watch than the Tigers.

Winning football clearly doesn't have to be attractive football.

And maybe our recent flag success was the exception that proved the rule in this respect for modern footy.

There's plenty of 'ugly' teams in the comp right now. But there's also certainly a number who I find better to watch than the Tigers.

Winning football clearly doesn't have to be attractive football.

And maybe our recent flag success was the exception that proved the rule in this respect for modern footy.

I think supporters of sides that win the flag always think their style is incredibly attractive. Sometimes it is - we definitely were in 2007, Sydney definitely were not in 2005. When a side that is loathed starts winning - Hawthorn and now Richmond - their game style will be dismissed as horrible. Sometimes true, sometimes not. The competition itself is so much more defensive now. Most teams all play roughly the same game.

I think supporters of sides that win the flag always think their style is incredibly attractive. Sometimes it is - we definitely were in 2007, Sydney definitely were not in 2005. When a side that is loathed starts winning - Hawthorn and now Richmond - their game style will be dismissed as horrible. Sometimes true, sometimes not. The competition itself is so much more defensive now. Most teams all play roughly the same game.

Don't entirely disagree. Sydney's game style back then was atrocious. Hawks were unsociable but were generally very capable and slick with ball in hand during their recent premiership triumphs. Many objective observers would have suggested they were quite OK to watch, I figure.

Whereas Richmond's 'Ultimate Mugby' incarnation can be adored by their fans, reluctantly admired for its blunt efficiency by 'neutral' supporters of other clubs, and openly reviled by anyone actually interested in watching a quality demonstration of the finer skills of the game.

Of course they're not solely responsible for the descent of the game into endless scrimmages and rolling mauls. But their maddening effectiveness in perfecting it as a game style certainly leads many other teams to be imitators rather than innovators.

And the overall footy spectacle is far the poorer for it.

Spot on mate - the hatred for certain teams by certain posters will not allow them to give them credit or only very limited credit - you know it is a weak comp - they play ugly football - blah blah blah

Last years Prelim - we played slow motion - they moved the ball quickly . Alot of Geel supporters want this Cats side to move the ball quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back