Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The older I get the more I don’t place my enjoyment/fulfilment solely on the club’s success, I hope that’s wisdom and sure I’d enjoy another flag or two …but after my drunk meltdown after the last GF loss I’ve reflected that there’s more to life than living vivacious through the club….been embarrassing reflecting on that

Mate..thats the best post you've written for some time...and it is indeed bourne from wisdom.
I don' t melt down these days over games lost because I have a broader view of the club I support thsn just winning games of football...
Yes..I want us to win every game and win the Premiership every year..Of course we both know that wont happen..
What I do want is to see the GFC thrive, survive, build on snd off the field..play a positive role in the community and represent values that make me proud to be a member of this club...and yes..win a flag every now and then.
This is why i have been a fervent supporter of Chris Scott who has not only made us a successful team on the field, but has personally demonstrated values that I both admire and respect (eg. from foregoing his salary during the initial stages of the pandemic to his recent expression of good will to Ben Cunnington )...
Theres more to following a football club than winning games of footy...at least there should be...
That said...onward and upward ..lets win it this year.

In short, no. It is, after all, just a game.

How we perceive success depends on the time line I reckon. Following a team during a period in which it sustains a high winning margin is very rewarding in the here and now, no doubt.

But in the longer term, I think many will feel a bit unfulfilled if all that fades away without any more flags.

Thats it - a game - entertainment

Not bagging the AFL - but there are so many conflicts in the draw eg 2012 - Geel and W/Coast missed the top 4 by 1 game - yet Syd and Ade got GWS and Suns twice - the draw is so compromised- yet supporters are supposed to crave premierships

As ive posted before - i think Flags are overrated - if you had a system where every one plays everyone twice - home and away - and the team who wins the most games ( who front up every week and perform- you have to be mentally strong and tough to do that ) are crowned the Champion team - id value that a million miles ahead of the current flag system . Go back to 2009 - Stk won their 1st games 20 - and ive got no doubt - if the system was the champion is the one who wins the most games - then ive got no doubt they would have won all 22 that year

Adelaide both Premierships 13-9 records - yet they are the Champion team of those 2 years - tell that to Sir Alex Ferguson - and he would fall over backwards in laughter

Mate..thats the best post you've written for some time...and it is indeed bourne from wisdom.
I don' t melt down these days over games lost because I have a broader view of the club I support thsn just winning games of football...
Yes..I want us to win every game and win the Premiership every year..Of course we both know that wont happen..
What I do want is to see the GFC thrive, survive, build on snd off the field..play a positive role in the community and represent values that make me proud to be a member of this club...and yes..win a flag every now and then.
This is why i have been a fervent supporter of Chris Scott who has not only made us a successful team on the field, but has personally demonstrated values that I both admire and respect (eg. from foregoing his salary during the initial stages of the pandemic to his recent expression of good will to Ben Cunnington )...
Theres more to following a football club than winning games of footy...at least there should be...

And that's a quality post too.

Good point. Would love to see what her gameplan would be though. Considering she has no football experience, what the hell could she do? I’d have just about as much chance of getting the job as she does.
I think people over estimate the importance of the senior coaches football knowledge. They're essentially a manager of other coaches and a media face. I'll take a group of excellent assistants with a good leader who is not a technical expert in the field over a manager who is an expert leading a team of mediocre assistants.

Might be worth the experiment

Exactly this

I have no issue with her applying for the role, but if she's serious about wanting to coach in the AFL then at least be willing to do some hard work by coming up through the ranks of assistant coaching - even if it's starting as an assistant at VFL or local level

Don't complain about not getting the senior gig if you're not willing to go through the work experience process first
Opposite side of this coin is Dal Santo being made senior coach of the AFLW saints without any experience.

Opposite side of this coin is Dal Santo being made senior coach of the AFLW saints without any experience.
I think that's been one of the major issues with his selection - not that he's male, but rather what experience does he have with coaching and especially with coaching women

Tbf I agree to an extent I assume it’s due to his long career in the system , I’d prefer that he does the certification and build experience elsewhere personally…on the plus side it could encourage future AFL players to seek experience in coaching through that pathway with AFLW which could be a good thing for that level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats it - a game - entertainment

Not bagging the AFL - but there are so many conflicts in the draw eg 2012 - Geel and W/Coast missed the top 4 by 1 game - yet Syd and Ade got GWS and Suns twice - the draw is so compromised- yet supporters are supposed to crave premierships

As ive posted before - i think Flags are overrated - if you had a system where every one plays everyone twice - home and away - and the team who wins the most games ( who front up every week and perform- you have to be mentally strong and tough to do that ) are crowned the Champion team - id value that a million miles ahead of the current flag system . Go back to 2009 - Stk won their 1st games 20 - and ive got no doubt - if the system was the champion is the one who wins the most games - then ive got no doubt they would have won all 22 that year

Adelaide both Premierships 13-9 records - yet they are the Champion team of those 2 years - tell that to Sir Alex Ferguson - and he would fall over backwards in laughter

There's something about playing a GF though, and better still, winning it.

Years later you can reflect on them, savour it, and still hear, smell, taste the activities of that particular day......it's a social event for so many that is crowned with a euphoria like no other if your team wins.

Even now I can recall the sheer excitement when we broke through in 2007. I remember everything about that day.....

And such memories are what make GF's so special.

But in the cold light of day it is but a momentary distraction from the realities of life. As you say, just entertainment.....albeit a form that brings so much joy to so many once a year.

She's applied for both the North job and now the Collingwood job, I'm curious if she's applied for any of the AFLW gigs or just the senior AFL coaching roles

Asking Alexander to coach AFLW would be like asking Chris Scott to handle Auskick. She's one of the elite sporting coaches in the land with a success rate higher than nearly everyone.

Whatever lack of game-day experience she has with footy would be made up with her other skills and talents. She's lived and breathed the game all her life. Plus - assistant coaches are there for a reason.

She won't get a gig coaching AFL (which she would know already) but I love her chutzpah and cage-rattling. A shame though, as the game needs a shake-up like this.

Exactly this

I have no issue with her applying for the role, but if she's serious about wanting to coach in the AFL then at least be willing to do some hard work by coming up through the ranks of assistant coaching - even if it's starting as an assistant at VFL or local level

Don't complain about not getting the senior gig if you're not willing to go through the work experience process first

I think she believes her skill set and experience should mean she doesn't need to do those stepping stone roles.... personally I think she is a stalking horse. She knows she is not going to get the roles and her applying gives her a chance to apply the heat to the afl system

For mine... forget her... its about the women in the system. If one of those were appointed and wanted her in then great. To me the W should mirror the afl... currently there are no female coaches in the afl... so there should be no male coaches in the W. Half the comp is about oppitunity and female fulfilment, so give them the keys.

I was disapointed with our recent appointment at Geelong , not for the inability of the new coach to do the job, but for the non chance given to really give opportunity to female.

Can I ask a philosophical question here?
Winning the flags in 07, 09, 11 was unbelievably good, and a sheer relief as well, but are they life-changing for us supporters?
We used to have a supporter poster here on BF whose life seemed catastrophic if we lost, and affected his mental health.
Supporting Geelong as long as some of us have, there has never been a better era. Winning games at least 70% of the year has to be better than all the other teams around who are nowhere near that %, and I personally find it VERY EASY to accept that being in contention almost every year is a bonus, and to not win that flag in those years is transiently disappointing, but again, not life changing. How do others feel?
Living in Geelong, family members tell me that the whole place is more vibrant when we are victorious, in home and away, and incredibly after a flag.
Having said all that, I would be ecstatic if we win it this year again.
07 kind of was life changing. Was such a relief and was so great to know what it felt like.
But yeah, now we've had a few I don't think they're everything.
It is exciting to make the GF though.
When I look back I sort of think would I have rather had seen a flag or Ablett back in the day?
I'd probably choose Ablett.
Also its how they're won. And when. As in i'd take say 1 flag like the Dogs one in 2016 over say 10 Hawthorn like ones against WC in 2015.

I think that's been one of the major issues with his selection - not that he's male, but rather what experience does he have with coaching and especially with coaching women
His knowledge will see him coach the women easy.
As someone who only just recently stopped coaching senior women’s I assure you knowledge and experience to them is the greatest tool you can offer.
I was a hack footballer but understood the game well enough to successfully coach a women’s team.
Yes there’s different obstacles but the improvement and development in women is second to none and highly recommended to anyone who wants to get involved in women’s footy.

I think she believes her skill set and experience should mean she doesn't need to do those stepping stone roles.... personally I think she is a stalking horse. She knows she is not going to get the roles and her applying gives her a chance to apply the heat to the afl system

For mine... forget her... its about the women in the system. If one of those were appointed and wanted her in then great. To me the W should mirror the afl... currently there are no female coaches in the afl... so there should be no male coaches in the W. Half the comp is about oppitunity and female fulfilment, so give them the keys.

I was disapointed with our recent appointment at Geelong , not for the inability of the new coach to do the job, but for the non chance given to really give opportunity to female.
Shouldn’t the roles goes to those best qualified for them and not be based on their genders? Being an elite coach in a different sport does not translate as being elite in AFL….the sport day to day stuff is completely different to netball let alone tactics and gameday preparations ects

It has nothing to do with discrimination and more to do with the fact that she feels so entitled that she doesn’t want to go to a lower league and work her way up to prove herself that she can do the job.

I am absolutely all for equality in the AFL and if a female coach turned out to be good enough to be a senior coach then I'll be at the front of the line hoping it happens, but this is just... I can't even. I don't want to say "toxic feminism" and trying to jump the queue purely to break a boundary, but.... I kinda think that's exactly what this is.
Do the hard work, be an assistant so you actually have even the slightest idea about the sport THEN see if you can improve from there.
It'll be like me putting in the resume to be Apples next CEO, you know, because I've used Apple devices before.

The bastion for Australia's progressive feminism movement, The Herald Sun releases the article, you've reacted exactly in the way they wanted... no one is advocating for it, they ran the same article with the same netball coach November last year about the North Melbourne Job just to get a rise out of people.

Exactly.

Brings back the shadow of Rendell
How so? IIRC Rendell made a hypothetical remark to a friend to illustrate his exasperation at the situation, that 'friend' told his brother or other AFL official, and who knows what to call what happened. He was forced to resign and then was immediately picked by Collingwood(?)

Walker appears to have added 'colorful' language to an angry outburst during a break in a game.

The older I get the more I don’t place my enjoyment/fulfilment solely on the club’s success, I hope that’s wisdom and sure I’d enjoy another flag or two …but after my drunk meltdown after the last GF loss I’ve reflected that there’s more to life than living vicariously through the club….been embarrassing reflecting on that
or did you mean vivacious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back