Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Just having a quick glance at the rules and regs, and this stands out to me.

5C65289A-9900-433E-9EE7-CB97BBCC3E50.jpeg

Any person with some real size about them is pretty much ruled out from playing by this rule. Sensible. Some of the players are quite small, so a behemoth that was born a man playing against these smaller women would be really risky.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
Thank god I don't watch AFLW. In fact, they should put AFLW on a separate website imho. I don't want to see this Non-Binary thingy as something that should be glorified in our sport, I mean why should this sport be a playground for the social/political sciences. I think Putin was right about using some common sense about rejecting some of this social science stuff that's coming from US/Canada. Some of the woke people on here might be offended with my views, but tbh, its last time I talk about it. The main thing is they should remove a lot of this political stuff from the sport. Sam Newman warned about this a while back.
If Vescio has female-only genitals, XY chromosomes, then she shouldn't cry/stress over Non-Binary, that's my view. Last word on it! Promise!

I think we should also back Putin's ideas against the 6-6-6 rule

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Are there some people with XY chromosomes attempting to play in the AFLW?

Serious question, BF and afl.com.au provide my only footy related information, as I'm in the States.
Sorry, I made a typo. I meant she probably has XX chromosomes.

Was good to watch a game of football and have knowledgeable commentators rather than dumbfu**s going "BOY OH BOY WOWEEEEE".
Or deadshit boundary riders.

Its also good to see the Saints womens team want to continue to add spoons to the trophy cabinet.
Probably be a while since I've seen the Women go at it but it looks a level above last time I saw it.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably be a while since I've seen the Women go at it but it looks a level above last time I saw it.

They go in hard alright. Almost go in harder than some past footballers but it's their lack of penetration in kicking and overall power which is hard to get use to.
On call back radio, somone rang up and mentioned they could look at making the field shorter. I think there's something in that as it would also see a lot more goals scored in the process.

They go in hard alright. Almost go in harder than some past footballers but it's their lack of penetration in kicking and overall power which is hard to get use to.
On call back radio, somone rang up and mentioned they could look at making the field shorter. I think there's something in that as it would also see a lot more goals scored in the process.
Yeah maybe, but I remember the same kicking penetration thing being mentioned a while ago and at the time that couldn't kick over a jam tin. Now it seems longer, more direct. I think just give it more time. Reward the progress they've shown

And yeah, they certainly crack in. Can't fault their endeavour

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah maybe, but I remember the same kicking penetration thing being mentioned a while ago and at the time that couldn't kick over a jam tin. Now it seems longer, more direct. I think just give it more time. Reward the progress they've shown
Yeah totally. If you look at the scoring of the first years of the VFL, it's comparable. Players and teams will develop with time.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Kicking penetration is better, these were meant to be two of the poorer teams and Brennan and the Hosking sisters have big kicks on them. First goal was scored from 50m as well for the Saints.

That said, they get a handful of games per season and are semi-professional. Can't expect too much when the AFL doesn't give them the environment to thrive.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Kicking penetration is better, these were meant to be two of the poorer teams and Brennan and the Hosking sisters have big kicks on them. First goal was scored from 50m as well for the Saints.

That said, they get a handful of games per season and are semi-professional. Can't expect too much when the AFL doesn't give them the environment to thrive.
I'll reply with a quote from 2019 and the added comment that the Tigers are continuing with a proven method.

The tackling has been gr8, so glad to have Rocky back in the team. Purcell is a 'bit special' & a couple of other 'kids' in Van De Heuvel & Clarke have put in.

Congrats to Sophie Van De Heuvel on her 1st goal.

The Hosking girls only know 1 way to play & that's hard. Could almost qualify as 'hitmen' but that isn't restricted to them.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I'll reply with a quote from 2019 and the added comment that the Tigers are continuing with a proven method.
The Hoskings girls looked bigger in AFLw than they do when they play Netball though. Unless they have put on some size recently. Guess I will find out if the local leagues go ahead.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
The Hoskings girls looked bigger in AFLw than they do when they play Netball though. Unless they have put on some size recently. Guess I will find out if the local leagues go ahead.
Where are you going with the comment they look bigger than when they played nettie? Not much regarding your post makes sense to me.

Size has nothing to do with it, they (Hosking sisters) have always played hard.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Where are you going with the comment they look bigger than when they played nettie? Not much regarding your post makes sense to me.

Size has nothing to do with it, they (Hosking sisters) have always played hard.
Im saying I saw them playing nettie the other year, and they looked bigger physically against St K. I am therefore suggesting they have put on muscle in the last couple of seasons.

So from the feedback or lack thereof I'm guessing there isn't an alternative to the AFLW thread.

For those wishing to discuss all matters relating to the AFLW we have the dedicated AFLW thread - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/aflw-season-6-mega-thread.1273603/

Based on discussion activity from previous years, it would be hard to justify the notion of starting a new thread each round, or in having seperate threads with one focussed on Geelong discussion & one for the league/other teams. The league is growing as is its popularity, but at this stage there's not the posting content on this board that would see the need to expand discussion beyond the current dedicated thread

This is reviewed each year, and if alternative options to the single thread would seem the more logical choice then that will be taken onboard. That won't be happening at this stage though for season 6

If posters are looking for other discussion options there is the Women's Football & AFLW board which can be found here - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forums/womens-footy-aflw.352/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back