Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SkittleCats not sure that focusing on contested possession midfielders alone is the way to go.

Teams use specific styles and tactics to win matches.

I looked at this site -

And teams like GC and Adelaide are higher than us on the CP ladder.

It’s a whole of game thing.

In the past - when we have lost finals - we’ve actually been up the top in CP’s. And had dominant midfield winners such as Selwood and Dangerfield.

Anyway - in my opinion- missing an extra contested ball midfielder isn’t what has held us back.

Rather, it has been composure. Any team up the top can beat any other team. But often luck, momentum and then psychology plays a part. Brisbane were all over Melbourne on Thursday. Dominating in a few facets of the game in the first quarter- except conversion. They had their chances to really make Melbourne second guess themselves and have to chase - which means taking more risk and then having more turnovers. The end scoreline has everyone saying Melbourne are back, but the reality is - Brisbane dropped the ball in a major way - and they’d be very hungry for the rematch.

SkittleCats not sure that focusing on contested possession midfielders alone is the way to go.
Teams use specific styles and tactics to win matches.

I looked at this site -

And teams like GC and Adelaide are higher than us on the CP ladder.

It’s a whole of game thing.

In the past - when we have lost finals - we’ve actually been up the top in CP’s. And had dominant midfield winners such as Selwood and Dangerfield.

Anyway - in my opinion- missing an extra contested ball midfielder isn’t what has held us back.

Rather, it has been composure. Any team up the top can beat any other team. But often luck, momentum and then psychology plays a part. Brisbane were all over Melbourne on Thursday. Dominating in a few facets of the game in the first quarter- except conversion. They had their chances to really make Melbourne second guess themselves and have to chase - which means taking more risk and then having more turnovers. The end scoreline has everyone saying Melbourne are back, but the reality is - Brisbane dropped the ball in a major way - and they’d be very hungry for the rematch.

AFL player rating have our inside midfielders as being the 3rd lowest performing in the league, on the other hand our rucks are the 3rd highest(not necessarily due to their ruckwork). We're just really well rounded everywhere else.

I reckon, given what we saw last year, and with the emergence of Jamarra Ugle-Hagen, they can win all 4. Defence is a little sus.

Bruce came back through the VFL and booted 3 but tweaked his hamstring so is out for another couple of weeks. If he is back, it really alters their forward line having a big bodied marking player.
Could potentially shift Naughton to full back and leave Ugle-Hagan/Bruce the focal points. If Ugle-Hagan isn't working, English is a natural forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back